New "Point" Based Progression System for Quests

dalescooper

This will be a different kind of request, because I fully intend to realise the idea myself, but I haven't done anything like this before and I really would like some advice from people who know Skyrim modding better. Perhaps the knowledge could be useful to other modders who want to achieve something similar.

I want to help the mod author of "Predators - Lost Tribes" with a slight balancing problem, as right now new players have immediate access to late game alien armor and weapons. My objective is to implement a series of "quests" whereby players can "unlock" these weapons in a challenging and satisfying way. I put quests in quotations, because I want these quests to be completed primarily by collecting trophies from fallen enemies of the players own choosing.

Currently, I've created a scripted weapon enchantment that adds these skulls to enemy inventories on death, and I've made collecting trophies slightly more satisfying by applying a script causing NPCs to equip a headless neck upon removal of said skulls. This brings me to the new system, I could implement a simple count by using vanilla scripts, but I want the system to encourage players to fight more dangerous enemies. For example, the player needs to reach a total of 100 points. A regular bandit skull can be worth 2 points, while a dragon skull can be worth 50. Named NPCs have their own unique skulls, so their value will vary according to their battle skills and accomplishments, so Nazeem's will be worth almost nothing, while Ulfic's/Tullius' will be 75 or something.

Thing is, I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I anticipate that the solution will involve formlists and global variables from what the vanilla scripts suggests.