Another Fallout 3 WIP I am currently playing around with, the goal is to add some new uniques around the game in several ways while adding cut content. I am using new textures and models, plus new enemies and bosses who use them, locked/hidden containers with new keys to find, encounters, and maybe even a few mini quests and dungeons if I can find the time.

I am already part way through and i'm quite pleased so far with how this looks, but I would like some input/help on a few things to get this thing finished if anyone would be kind enough to post.

1. Schematics: I would like to add (among other additions) cryo mines and grenades and maybe the Cryolator through schematics, but the only two ways I have found would be the edit the vanilla workbench script OR create a new workbench activator with a new script. I am 99% sure that editing the vanilla script, while fine for me, would only cause negative feedback as it conflicts with mod X with 10,000 endorsements. I tried making a new one but i'm not great at scripting I just tend to make edits to scripts, and it won't compile for me :/ any assistance or advice would be appreciated.
  2. Blast off helmet: Its just too damn big and makes the player look bald, so I want to scale it down but the standard transform doesn't do anything BUT scaling vertices does...however the helmet goes up the players arse! :psyduck: As transform "Z" wont move it up to the head, and scaling position vertices warps the helmet I can't think of what to do without resorting to using blender.
  3. Night-Vision Goggles: I would like to use the assets in the archive but they are rigged to be resting on the head for some reason instead of over the eyes, I have them set up to work but doesn't look right resting on the head. Can anyone rig them or advise me (even if it's just a link) how to rig them?
  4. Random encounters: I have placed a couple of manual events in the wasteland but it would be nice to add to the current random encounters list, but again I would prefer not to tamper with the existing scripts. I can see the worldspace, the scripts, the markers but not sure if I could add my own without forcing hideous incompatibility.

Also as i'm planning on making this mod as interesting as possible and not just simply planting objects in the game, any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. For instance some of my new additions have been based on existing technology but altered for new effects and apprearance, sometimes for a subtle easter egg movie/game reference :smile: I would make direct references but I don't want to reveal too much because I would like this to be a surprise when I release it.

Edited by Ironman5000

I SOOO wanted the blast-off helmet in my current mod! I ended up with a retextured vanilla space helmet instead. If you're having trouble with that one I could try to fix it up for you, if you'd like, and send you the mesh if I can get it to work. Would you mind if I use it in my mod, too, as a unique piece, or would you rather keep it to yourself? :yes:

Edited by Jokerine

I think some special schematics allow you to build stronger versions of the items you are crafting the more copies of the schematic you have. I would just have used a recipe too with a misc item that would add the recipe as a note. You could even get creative and make a counter that would keep track of how many copies of the schematic you have and allow you to craft the stronger versions of the weapons. But what do I know, I'm terrible with scripting and I've only had one cup of coffee so I have no idea what I'm talking about :laugh:

Anyway, I finished the Blast-Off helmet now. Included a world model for it, too.

http://i.imgur.com/9ikxH7W.png

You can download it here. Lemme know if you're OK with me using this in my mod too and I'll probably add it as a unique. If you'd rather keep this for your mod, I can live with that. :thumbsup:

Edited by Jokerine

I think some special schematics allow you to build stronger versions of the items you are crafting the more copies of the schematic you have. I would just have used a recipe too with a misc item that would add the recipe as a note. You could even get creative and make a counter that would keep track of how many copies of the schematic you have and allow you to craft the stronger versions of the weapons. But what do I know, I'm terrible with scripting and I've only had one cup of coffee so I have no idea what I'm talking about :laugh:

All your methods are good, but none of them requires modifying vanilla workbench script... I guess I would need more infos from Ironman because I'm missing an important step

@Blove: I would prefer not to have Craft as a requirement if I can avoid it, I tried it once and couldn't get it working but I obviously did something wrong. Would be nice to have this work independently even if I have to place new activators into the game.

Thanks for the Goggles link I might use the model, maybe the aspect of cell drainage too. They will be unique not be sold by all the vendors though that's too unbalanced IMO.

@Jokerine: Aren't you lovely asking me for permission to use something you edited and offered me to use in my mod? I would never be so arrogant to tell you what to do with your stuff mate. Thanks a million for the new model I will certainly be using this :thumbsup:

@Fallout2am: If you think there is a way for the current workbench to accept new items without messing around with vanilla IDs i'd love to see it - the workbench uses a script to function and i'm pretty sure it will only use the one. The only option is to edit this script or copy/edit under a new script editorID and get the bench to use the new one...then the comments come in complaining about CRAFT incompatibility :sad:

I do understand how the geck organizes schematic functionality through the found misc item, note/10/20 calculating the number of found ones for improvements, how the script checks for components etc. I could quite happily go about adding to the script myself but like I said it would only get me complaints about incompatibility and doubt many people would want to use it as a result.

It could be possible to plant another activator 'workbench' like the thing that makes Wonder Meat, and while it makes me uneasy in regards to immersion - why do I have to visit 2 different workbenches to craft my gear - i'm not completely against going along with it if I have to.

If CRAFT is the only logical way to achieve what I want then I am prepared to fold and just use it.

Edited by Ironman5000

Couple more:

1. If possible I would like to get a weapon script which recharges custom ammo ONLY under the conditions that a) is equipped b) the player is in exterior worldspace, and c) is in daylight - similar to how the Solar Powered perk works. There would be no obtainable ammo in-game, it would only be for this gun. The weapon can be used indoors but once the charge/ammo runs out the player will need to charge outside again. Nevermind I got it :)
  2. How should the Cryolator function. I have seen it used where the projectile uses a flamethrower type effect, but I am sure I remember seeing a laser projectile with a kind of 'cryo orb' detonation somewhere. The latter is the one I would prefer/have mostly put together already.
Edited by Ironman5000

@Ironman - You can use an activation perk for the workbench stuff. I'm working in FO3 right now and had never tried using one before. I wanted to develop something that would work with the vanilla workbenches, but would do it only if it didn't conflict with vanilla. So I went looking for ways to make that happen. You can figure out how to set one up by looking at CRAFT and there is a thread about it over at Beth that helped me figure out activation perks would do what I needed/wanted.

If you don't know what an activation perk is they work like this: You give the player a perk that is specifically for activation. When the player clicks on the specified object (set in conditions on the perk) an additional option (which you've named) is added to the current activation popup.

You can also script stuff based on the object's ref which you can collect via the activation with some additional scripting (see the Beth thread). You can do it to bodies, NPCs, the workbench, doors, containers, creatures, furniture, etc. I think this method is my new favorite thing to build. I have at least six activation perks in the mod I'm building. Cannot emphasize how awesome they are to get things inserted into the vanilla game without conflicts and to make those new options just a regular part of gameplay.

Ah I think I understand what you are getting at there Llama, that sounds like a perfect solution to my dilemma, thank you :dance:. Looks like i've got a heavy reading/learning/testing session ahead of me now, i'm sure it will make more sense once I familiarize myself with CRAFT functionality.

I may have to harass (pm) you once again if I ever run into a wall with this process, hope you don't mind :tongue: