Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul [WIP]

Shurah

Hm, so you didn't edit entries related to NPCs, but this still affects NPCs from other mods?

My first guess would be you have a script to distribute the AI to NPC's around the player.

I could get pretty script intensive though. Assuming I'm correct, have you considered using SkyProc for distribution instead?

I could help with that if you're interested.

I don't use scripts.

I used the same method than the one used by "Run for your lives" and "Wet & Cold". Except that instead to add conditions on my custom quests and thus some scripts, I assigned a low priority to my quests (<30), then I created an alias for each citizen as well as aliases for Unofficial NPCs and finally I added conditions to my custom AI packages.

I'm thinking about using a SkyProc but for generic (NPC such as guard, bandit, ect) because this method works well only for unique NPCs (named).

Oh I see, you used the find matching reference option, with a few condition functions.

Wouldn't this be pretty terrible in terms of performance though?

You have like 30+ "find matching reference" alias' per quest. Each alias has at least 3 condition functions. And there's quite a few quests as well.

And I would assume that this find matching reference option needs to run pretty frequently to apply the new combat styles in time for a fight.

That's a very large load from condition functions.

Like, if I were to add that many condition functions to constructible object records, I would get some serious lag from opening a crafting menu.

Either way I definitely think SkyProc would be justified here. There aren't many mods I can think of where SkyProc would improve game performance as much as it would in this scenario.

I would bet even a script would have better performance than needing to run that many condition functions periodically.

Although to be completely honest, I don't think Combat Style AI really makes that much difference to how fun or immersive the game feels.

And definitely not enough of a difference IMO, to justify a SkyProc patcher OR a huge condition function load on a game.

Because all you can really do is minor stuff like make AI attack you when you're staggered more often or just keep a bit more distance.

And a lot of that comes down to preferences. Like, a player might not find it immersive that an AI NPC predictably always attacks you when you get staggered, without hesitation.

Anyways,just my 2 cents. Hope that didn't come off as too critical or anything.

Edited by GrimyBunyip

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if you asked this because of the STEP patch which includes the light version of the no npc greetings mod? Cause I really want to use the STEP patch to lower my load order, and if that's what you're thinking of Shurah just confirmed it should be ok and that basically makes my day.

Actually, Requiem seems to set it to 70. Thought it would be worth mentioning. Can't wait to play the two together. :)

I kind of really want to do the "told you so dance" but at this point with such a complex mod released and so many things going on I could see that as being less amusing than it would be meant to be and far closer to harassment when you're already frazzled with the release of such a large and complex mod.

Congrats on reaching hotfiles in a single day!

Since path finding seems to be the major issue with mod conflicts, perhaps reaching out to the modders of those mods on your incompatible list for help making patches would help alleviate some of the pressure? I see the author of Multiple Floor Sandboxing already seems interested, perhaps the authors of EtaC, JKSkyrim and the Useless Shops would also be amenable? That would likely cut out a large chunk of the demands in the comments.

Good luck! I truly hope that all the sudden pressure does not dim your enjoyment of modding.

Hi, i have a question to ask: (sorry for my terrible english)

There is a mod where the vanilla dialogue is reworked (split in parts if i'm not wrong), and very well utilized giving more life to it. Amorous adventures by foxfingers if i'm not wrong.

I saw from time to time the question of the "repetitive dialogue" of the NPCs that break the immersion and make them feel like robots.
And the desire for some of something to improve this, it's not necessary something like books of line dialogue for a character, but perhaps finding some alternatives/creative ways to provide greater immersion to the Vanilla NPC dialogues of the game by cutting it, and forming some additional lines.
A friend talked me about this possible ideia, i will cite an example:
sometimes the PC does hear NPC talking to another NPC, or the NPC might just mumble or talk to himself under some action. (Without the need for the PC to be closer, neither the NPC will contact or look at you in the process)
Some NPC may talk based on how you look, what you are, and your actions based on it to others NPC, or may comment to the PC (Mostly on guards, but expanded to the Citizens)
Many NPC will not stop when you try to interact with them and will just answer/greet you (Mainly if they are greeting you) such as ysolda "It'sa fine day with you around", etc. or may ignore the PC request to answer. (based maybe on the NPC current mod)
Adrianne avenci, dialogue ("Sword, weapows, preety much everything you need..."), etc, can split in other parts as ("sword, weapows" and "There is pretty much everthing you need" to feel more coloquial, with more variants. such as Farengar fire, can talk instead of "Damn dragons", reutilizing his dialogue lines to be more short, dinamic and less repetitive. (when you buy something from him, he always says: "I think you will apretiate this or I have Figured you...") to be reutilized as "Mage hm?" or others based on the character.
Or Olfina graymane "What is the matter? you can't stand the way of a nord strong woman?" to "what is the matter?" and "you should stand of the way of a nord woman" as a alternative.
Also, when you start a quest with most Action NPC Types, the character near the PC keep repeating the same lines, over, and over again until you progress, or avoid getting to near to them, sometimes without a second after the line that could be fixed, by saying one time, and if the PC wants, he can go manualy to the NPC to explain "I did not hear what you said", "sorry, can you repeat?", etc. to make more fluid.
Do you plan on something like that, or did i miss someone who already did it? :blush:
Thanks.
Edited by TheBxushis

Is this mod compatiable with Combat Evolved?

This mod will override Combat Evolved's combat style changes.

But lets be honest, Combat evolved changes a bunch of gamesettings and combat styles and such. It's basically always going to have record conflicts with every other combat mod in existence.

it's just a matter of whether or not you care about those record conflicts.