First of all, this is not a guide so leave if you thought it was a guide.

I see all these brilliant mods on Nexus but I have no idea how to use the Nexus Mod Manager. I have Installed the New Vegas Script Extender (Not beta edition) and the NMM itself but when faced to installing mods, I have no clue how to do so. I have seen other posts on the forum on how do it but a lot of then are 2012-2014 and I am afraid they may be outdated. Is there a 2015 guide that shows how to Install Mods via the NMM?

Edited by TheMrGhostly

I heard you need to drag the .esp file to the data folder. Some mods have extra files in the download. Do I just put the .esp file or every file in the data file?

P.S. Some files also have materials folders and textures folders in them. Do I put the folder or content in the folders name in the data or put just the content only inside the folder in the folders data alternative or perhaps not even in the folders at all?

Edited by TheMrGhostly

I heard you need to drag the .esp file to the data folder. Some mods have extra files in the download. Do I just put the .esp file or every file in the data file?

P.S. Some files also have materials folders and textures folders in them. Do I put the folder or content in the folders name in the data or put just the content only inside the folder in the folders data alternative or perhaps not even in the folders at all?

As the guides will correctly tell you, all content based mods use the Data directory as their top level. Any mods which do not will have specific instructions otherwise. So the contents of a textures folder will go into Data/textures. They're designed to be unzipped into the data folder.

Using Nexus Mod Manager is much easier. After you install it, select the mod you want on nexus, pick the download tab, choose one or more 'download with manager' buttons. Once downloaded, activate it from within mod manager. If you have lots of mods, use LOOT or BOSS to sort them into a correct load order.

Then use NVSE or New Vegas 4GB to launch the game instead of Steam. You need to have launched the game at least once from Steam however, and gotten as far as the first menu.

If you have lots of mods, use New Vegas 4GB or you will get crashes.

To play it safe, choose mods which are up to date and currently supported. Always read the "posts" section before downloading to check on any major issues with the mod.

If the game cyles through all the startup screens and refuses to give you the main menu, you have your mods in the wrong order. Use LOOT.

Don't download 50 mods, activate them all at once and hope for the best. Pick the ones that appeal most to you. After playing around with them in game for a bit, download a few more. Obviously start game mods need a new game to work so best to download one of those first if you plan on using it. This one is my favourite and I recommend it as a good starting mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45739/?