Missing Argonian meshes/textures

Deleted6919211User

Greetings to all!

Forgive me if I grow weary after days of seeking solutions to the problems that exist in my game currently. I have recently been trying out new female Argonian head replacers and body textures that are compatible with CBBE, to make a very ugly race (IMO) more tolerable and cosmetically pleasing. First, I will add links to all of the mods I used in my process. Then, out of sheer exhaustion, I will copy and paste the comments I've left in the comments sections of the mods related to the issues I'm having. Please know that I have searched the web via Google in every possible attempt to find a remedy to this dilemma, including a search for ways to restore Skyrim's "Vanilla" default Argonian male & female body meshes/textures. Forgive me if the tone of some of my posts are abrasive, or even extreme. As I mentioned, I have been actively seeking solutions literally for days now. It has consumed all the free time I would normally spend enjoying the game, and problem-solving is just an activity I pursue with hopes of being able to return to normalcy ASAP.

At the risk of being redundant, I will say this again because I do not wish to be BANNED or disliked. Worse still, I would NEVER want to be labelled a "TROLL".

Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance regarding the matter.

I will start by listing the link that started the avalanche.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17488/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D17488%26preview%3D&pUp=1

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7712/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D7712%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D550350&pUp=1

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/62574/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D62574%26preview%3D&pUp=1

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4385/?

Now I will repost the comments I've already made in the comments sections of the aforementioned mods, simply because I see no point in reiterating the entire issue.

1)

This mod was merely an afterthought, suggested by another Modder.

Strange things happened after I used the "Human Beast Races- Revamped" mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17488/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D17488%26preview%3D&pUp=1

Nothing personal against the modder, JazzJR AKA FallenAngle- as this Argonian retexture was actually suggested by McGarnagIe (author of the mod I linked above), but MONSTEraider's Feminine Khajiit textures for CBBE amazed me, so I tried his Feminine Argonian Textures (for CBBE) to see how they compared.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/62574/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D62574%26preview%3D&pUp=1

As it turns out, this was an investigation based on a post in the comments section of the Human Beast Races-Revamped mod, which was answered by its own poster, whom I agree with. MONSTEraider's textures look a little off at first, but after opening up "showracemenu" via Race Menu :

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29624/?

...I was able to blend the colors of the head replacer to the textures supplied by MONSTEraider and IMO- they were a far better texture match than those supplied here (which are snake-like... shiny and sans-nipples, to my dismay! Moreover, the textures offered here are reminiscent of the Kothringi branch of the Argonian family, which were said to be almost mirror-like (if you've ever taken the time to read the 2920 book series by Carlovac Townway). Nothing at all in resemblance to Skyrim's existing Argonian head models, which remind me of raptors, more than anything.

Finally, to the crux of the matter...

Upon deciding that these textures supplied here were less applicable, I removed JazzJr's Argonian textures, only to discover that EVERY SINGLE MALE & FEMALE ARGONIAN NPC HAD COMPLETELY LOST THEIR BODY TEXTURES, not to mention some very odd issues concerning the Argonian heads (which were left floating mid-air after using the command: "removeallitems" on them. IE- the lower part of the mouths were either missing (in the male case) or misplaced, down by where the female Argonians' left shin ought to be!

IE- If you apply these textures and then decide to remove them later- THEY TAKE THE DEFAULT ARGONIAN MALE & FEMALE TEXTURES OUT ALONG WITH THEM!

In other words, JazzJR's "retextures" REPLACE the default textures! And apparently, (if this is not an isolated issue) the familiar Skyrim Argonian default meshes/textures are no longer ANYWHERE to be found on the PC... or at least mine, sadly. HINT: Back up all of your Argonian meshes/texture files and put them safely in a folder on your desktop BEFORE trying either McGarnagle's OR FallenAngle's mods!!! Under NORMAL circumstances, using the Nexus Mod Manager prevents bizarre screw-ups like this from occurring, but not this time!

I have done everything within my power to restore DEFAULT Argonian meshes/textures, but I have yet to find ANY mod that will restore any sort of normalcy to the Argonian NPCs in my (Skyrim) game.

At this moment, JazzJR is probably rolling on the floor with laughter over my debacle, whilst McGarnagIe is MIA. But this is a word of warning to my fellow gamers, more than anything... and a humble cry for help. I don't want my beautiful "Marshwalker" to be the only surviving (fully intact) member of the Argonian species for the unforeseeable future! I've tried every combination of Google search, but there are no solutions, as of yet. BE WARNED.

2)

Hey!

I love the head replacer, but like Ra0999- I'm having some serious issues with the Argonian population.

"So I have run into a problem, when I download this I get the Marshwalkers (I'm using the standalone version) but their heads are that of what I believe are High Elves. Another thing that has happened is that the Argonians have no hands and their bodies are scaleless and look like human bodies. Any suggestions on what to do?"- Rao999

Well, in my situation, once you hit them (both male & female) with the console command: removeallitems... OMFG! They aren't just missing HANDS and SCALES... THEIR BODIES AREN'T THERE AT ALL!!! To make matters even more freaky- the lower insides of their mouths are just floating around, down about where their left shins should be!!!

MONSTEraider's body replacer works beautifully on my standalone "Marshwalker", and his Khajiit body replacer works just as nicely on the NPC Khajiit as it does on my Khajiit character... but his Female CBBE Argonian replacer doesn't replace the female Argonian bodies. As a matter of fact, I've tried just about EVERY Argonian body replacer, both here on the Nexus AND elsewhere. Nothing fixes them thus far.

What really boggles me, is how the male Argonians got dragged into this confounded issue! I never did anything to change their bodies, but they are just as GONE as the female bodies are!!! I'm half-tempted to try Den987 Naiad Argonian female replacer and then reinstall MONSTEraider's textures back over them again, but it doesn't say in Den987's description that it would alter the males in any way. I'm Baffled! At least my female Marshwalker is one hot lizard, but for the rest of them- IDK. So disgusted after trying to solve this issue for 15 hours, I'm ready to go around and disable every stinkin' Argonian NPC, just so I don't have to be reminded of this atrocity. :'-(

And finally... the 3rd iteration:

3)

NOTE: I'm reposting the same comment I left on JazzJr's Argonian Retexture comment section HERE, with the only intention being to draw attention to this problem in sincere hopes of having it addressed by the authors, moderators and experts in this field. Forgive me if any of it is redundant, in regards to my previous posting below. Please keep in mind: this is NOT a personal attack on any modder. I love the Skyrim modding community- without them, the game would be so much less impressive. Thanks for your attention, consideration and patience.

Sincerely,

Dallesse

This mod was merely an afterthought, suggested by another Modder.

Strange things happened after I used the "Human Beast Races- Revamped" mod:

Nothing personal against the modder, JazzJR AKA FallenAngle- as this Argonian retexture was actually suggested by McGarnagIe (author of the mod I linked above), but MONSTEraider's Feminine Khajiit textures for CBBE amazed me, so I tried his Feminine Argonian Textures (for CBBE) to see how they compared.

As it turns out, this was an investigation based on a post in the comments section of the Human Beast Races-Revamped mod, which was answered by its own poster, whom I agree with. MONSTEraider's textures look a little off at first, but after opening up "showracemenu" via Race Menu :

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29624/?

...I was able to blend the colors of the head replacer to the textures supplied by MONSTEraider and IMO- they were a far better texture match than those supplied here (which are snake-like... shiny and sans-nipples, to my dismay! Moreover, the textures offered here are reminiscent of the Kothringi branch of the Argonian family, which were said to be almost mirror-like (if you've ever taken the time to read the 2920 book series by Carlovac Townway). Nothing at all in resemblance to Skyrim's existing Argonian head models, which remind me of raptors, more than anything.

Finally, to the crux of the matter...

Upon deciding that these textures supplied here were less applicable, I removed JazzJr's Argonian textures, only to discover that EVERY SINGLE MALE & FEMALE ARGONIAN NPC HAD COMPLETELY LOST THEIR BODY TEXTURES, not to mention some very odd issues concerning the Argonian heads (which were left floating mid-air after using the command: "removeallitems" on them. IE- the lower part of the mouths were either missing (in the male case) or misplaced, down by where the female Argonians' left shin ought to be!

IE- If you apply these textures and then decide to remove them later- THEY TAKE THE DEFAULT ARGONIAN MALE & FEMALE TEXTURES OUT ALONG WITH THEM!

In other words, JazzJR's "retextures" REPLACE the default textures! And apparently, (if this is not an isolated issue) the familiar Skyrim Argonian default meshes/textures are no longer ANYWHERE to be found on the PC... or at least mine, sadly. HINT: Back up all of your Argonian meshes/texture files and put them safely in a folder on your desktop BEFORE trying either McGarnagle's OR FallenAngle's mods!!! Under NORMAL circumstances, using the Nexus Mod Manager prevents bizarre screw-ups like this from occurring, but not this time!

I have done everything within my power to restore DEFAULT Argonian meshes/textures, but I have yet to find ANY mod that will restore any sort of normalcy to the Argonian NPCs in my (Skyrim) game.

At this moment, JazzJR is probably rolling on the floor with laughter over my debacle, whilst McGarnagIe is MIA. But this is a word of warning to my fellow gamers, more than anything... and a humble cry for help. I don't want my beautiful "Marshwalker" to be the only surviving (fully intact) member of the Argonian species for the unforeseeable future! I've tried every combination of Google search, but there are no solutions, as of yet. BE WARNED.

Once again, please forgive the desperation; I'm not here to solve problems. If I was good at it- I would apply to Nexus for a job as a moderator. But honestly,

I really don't understand how half of this stuff works... and what I have learned was entirely by trial & error. (Believe me- the ratio between failures and

successes has not been a pretty one.) Please forgive me in advance for being somewhat inept in this field. I'm trying. :'-(

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,

Dallesse

P.S.- PLEASE DON'T BAN ME!!! I paid good money for this PREMIUM account!

Greetings to all!

In other words, JazzJR's "retextures" REPLACE the default textures! And apparently, (if this is not an isolated issue) the familiar Skyrim Argonian default meshes/textures are no longer ANYWHERE to be found on the PC... or at least mine, sadly.

Hi there. They are still there they're just getting overridden by loose meshes/textures files. The originals are buried inside the meshes and textures BSA's that came with the game and in the unlikely event they've gotten corrupted or deleted you can simply get these back by verifying the game in the Steam window.

In the meantime navigate to ...Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Meshes\actors\character and delete any folders labelled argonian that you may find there. Do the same for ...Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Textures\actors\character and delete any folders labelled argonian that you may find there as well. Have a look in \Meshes\actors\character\characterassets and \Textures\actors\character\characterassets if they exist too.

Basically look for any loose file or folder labelled Argonian and delete it. If all else fails as a last resort go into Nexus Mod Manager, uninstall everything, delete the Meshes and Textures folders mentioned above, then reinstall everything. (The game doesn't require these folders they're only used by mods).

Edited by soupdragon1234

Thanks for trying to help me soupdragon1234... I recognize you from my friends list. I must have sent you a "Warm Fuzzy" at one point in time, so I appreciate the reciprocity. Truly.

As per your suggestion, I followed your suggested pathway to where the "Argonian" meshes folders should have been. There was nothing (and I mean NOTHING) labelled "Argonian" in that section.

HOWEVER, after entering a search from the textures section... I found a whole host of files, in the character folder within the textures/actors/character section. I am at the point now where I could delete the "argonianmale" and the "argonianfemale" file folders... but you haven't told me what to expect (or what to do next) after implementing these actions which you have suggested.

After this point, some level of assumption kicked in for you and left a troublesome gap in your dialogue, which I am uncertain of how to fill in. You simply leapt straight to " IF ALL ELSE FAILS..."

I would rather not have to enact that last resort you mentioned, if it is avoidable. You'd have an aneurism if you realized how many thousands of hours I have dedicated to trying to understand how all of these things work- just to play Skyrim! Most people just seem to presume that anyone who can play Skyrim with mods on a PC must already hold a superior level of understanding in this area. I assure you- that is an erroneous conclusion, to say the least. :dry:

I do know how to uninstall all of the mods I have integrated into my Skyrim via the Nexus Mod Manager... I've done it before. Not fun to put back together, though. It can take several hours (if not days) to carefully reassemble a mod list the likes of which I've developed. It would almost be easier to unravel and re-knit a sweater!!!

Besides, why should I endanger all of my characters, and all of the time I have invested in this just to potentially throw it all away in a last ditch effort!? :sick:

As a friend, dear soupdragon, please read over the statement you issued me recently and fill in the gaps where only empty space, presumption and high risk exist. Then if you would, kindly return and explain this procedure in more depth. Between "uninstall everything" and "reinstall everything" lies a Grand Canyon-sized void of uncertainty!

Furthermore, how is it that "The game" does not depend on the presence of (any races') default meshes and textures!? Those default meshes/textures came with the game in its "Vanilla" state, did they not?

I cannot fathom how only mods could depend upon their being present!

That makes no sense to me! :ohmy:

Bless you, dearest soupdragon1234, for solving a mystery that was beyond my faculties. The Argonians are whole again, much to my relief!

Let it be known that the culprit responsible for this intolerable issue was, in fact: McGarnagIe. I would advise you all NOT to use his mod "Human Beast Races-Revamped", and most especially...

DO NOT USE THE "MARSHWALKER" STANDALONE file. :down: It will DESTROY all other Argonians' physicality! :ohmy:

Consider yourselves warned, my friends.

-Dallesse

• 9 months later...

I am having the same issue, But I don't have that mod. Could someone explain a little more in detail how it was fixed. I don't have a mesh folder in my Steam>Steamapps>Common>skyrim folder. How do I reinstall the body texture. I have the head, tail, and hands for Argonian and khajits just not the body. How do I verify the game in the steam window? Will doing that mess up my other mods?

Edited by CelestialRiver

I am having the same issue, But I don't have that mod. Could someone explain a little more in detail how it was fixed. I don't have a mesh folder in my Steam>Steamapps>Common>skyrim folder. How do I reinstall the body texture. I have the head, tail, and hands for Argonian and khajits just not the body. How do I verify the game in the steam window? Will doing that mess up my other mods?

Look up how to unpack the BSA files.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry old thread ran across this one while searching ...

Anywho ... All the meshes and textures are in the skyrim .bsa files. The game uses them as default when loading unless you add whatever file to the game.

So ... the files are not corrupt what is going on is it's reading files you added that are corrupt or in the wrong format and/or conflicting with the .bsa files in some way.

So ... to fix something like this you simply delete the added file(s) in this case delete the ... Textures\Actors\Character\ArgonianFemale folder.

Also the reason so many run into the problem ... just a guess here but ... if you use TextureBlender to fix neck and hands color mismatch it will also add

the ArgonianFemale and khajiitfemale "fix files". If you had files there it will in fact fix the color mismatch. But, if you have none and none is default it will add the fixes

and they will in fact add this skin error. Leaving you clueless how to fix it. (welcome to Skyrim modding btw)

Sorry about being a few years late. Just happen to know this fix well ... ;)

• 1 year later...

I couldn't find the corrupt files in my Skyrim Special Edition folder. However, I found another quick way to fix this in three easy steps.

1. Uninstall the game from steam

2. Remove Skyrim/Skyrim Special Edition from the common folder

3. Reinstall Skyrim/SSE

You will need to move the mod files over for Vortex. I know this is not the best way but I found it to be quick and easy to fix the main issue.