Radio Mods and Copyright Law and The Nexus

FranklinZunge

What is the position of the Nexus vis-a-vis using hit oldies music for a radio mod. Is it fair use? Are all the radio mods on the nexus using music that is free/ expired copyright and such? I ask because I made a mod for myself searching through tons of old 40s and 50's music, and I was curious if it is legal to share it.

Only music that is free of copyright can be used and a lot of the older songs aren't yet free of it, I wouldn't chance it, you'd have to check that each track hasn't had its copyright renewed and trust where you got that information from.

If you look at something like Wave Radio, the first thing you see in the mod description is:

All third party resources (and there are a lot of them) are confirmed to be either in the public domain or licensed under creative commons. Whether the copyrights have run out or the resources came from a stock site, all resources used are legal, at least for non-commercial use (as this is). Also, all original creators or distributors are credited.

Old World Radio (further down the page):

All third party resources are confirmed to be either in the public domain or licensed under creative commons. Whether the copyrights have run out or the resources came from a stock site, all resources used are legal to use for non-commercial use... for example: from sites like archive.org flyingomelette.com and oldradioworld.com

You may only use music that are not protected by copyright. It is your own responsibility to make sure of this. :smile:

Edited by Ladez

Copyright laws are very explicit on use. And the Nexus does not want to get involved with copyright lawyers. So - If it is copyrighted - as most music found on the internet is, we just ban for uploading it here.

Here is a link to an easy to understand copyright law site. :thumbsup:

That said, there is some 40s & 50s music that is now in the public domain or is no longer covered. And can be uploaded here.

A few sources for public domain music

http://websearch.about.com/od/publicdomain/tp/Public-Domain-Music.htm

http://publicdomain4u.com/

You need to be careful on the internet because a LOT of people actually lie about uploading music - claiming it is free to use under some non existent or misunderstood reason when it is not. :rolleyes:

There are also mods that allow a user to use their own playlist made up of music already on their computer - as long as it is not uploaded here we don't have any control over what you do on your own computer. :cool: