How not to be the ANG

Site Bot

Fine so let me be the stupid ANG. I've been hunting for pages to read on how to add a comment to a great mod, how to kudos, what are the rules to endorse a mod.

I read posts that say things like "must wait before I'm allowed to endorse". So far I've only found some pages that are vague, and rants about not enough people kudos.

Please, can somebody point us stupid newbie ANG types to "How to pages". P.S. I read the ones on how to manually install, thank you guys and gals for that.

1. To add a comment on a mod, click on the comments tab on the mod page - it looks like a Cartoon speech balloon. In the new screen, look on the right edge just above the other comments for "Add Comment". Type your comment into the box, then after proofreading it :rolleyes: to be sure it says what you want it to. Click on the "Submit" below it.

OR, go into the forums click on the 'View Forum Thread' instead of the 'Add Comment' and you will be taken to the forum topic for that mod (every mod has it's own) here you can 'Add a Reply' and it will be put at the end of the topic instead of at the top as on the file download page. The comments in both places are the same, but the order is reversed. On the forums, the order is oldest post first, new posts get added at the end. On the Uploads page, it's Newest first - whichever you prefer. :thumbsup:

2. Kudos - Done from the Forums - find a post by the person you want to give a kudo. Under their pic find 'Kudos [+]'

Click on the + and you will be taken to the Kudos page. Note: you can easily get to the forums from the file page by clicking the 'View Forum Thread' next to the 'Add Comment'. The comments in both places are the same, but the order is reversed.

3. Endorsing - In order to cut down on abuse of the endorse feature (Endorsing mods you never played) You must wait a while - I think it's an hour after downloading before endorsing a mod. There is no particular rule about why you endorse, you do not even need to make a comment to endorse it. Just click on the 'Endorse me' tab on the file page.

4. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't know. This isn't 4chan where n00bs get blasted for daring to make a post. We actually ban people for flaming or trolling noobs (or anyone else) :cool:

• 3 years later...

I would add - Always proofread every post twice to be sure it really says what you wanted it to BEFORE posting.

Re: Grammar, spelling, capitalization, punctuation and paragraph formatting - I'm not going to reply if I can't understand it the first time I read it.

Re: colored text, large formats, etc. I only use color for emphasis as many colors will not look the same on other systems - and my be hard to read. The standard text colors have been tested and do work well on all.

A short summary of the 'Netiquette' should also be added: don't use caps, only quote the most recent message you are replying to, if you are unsure about whether or not the emotional/humorous/sarcastic character of your post will come though, use emoticons, etc.

I would add - Always proofread every post twice to be sure it really says what you wanted it to BEFORE posting.

Re: Grammar, spelling, capitalization, punctuation and paragraph formatting - I'm not going to reply if I can't understand it the first time I read it.

Good advice. Otherwise your silly post that you hastily submitted before reading and correcting it might resurface in another forum member's signature who thinks they have the moral high ground to rub it in.

i wish i had known this stuff a long time ago, like about five minutes before i started posting here on nexus. i have this problem with the dreaded foot-in-mouth-syndrome, and not proofreading what i post before ​i post it makes it considerably worse than it would otherwise be.

i was called an idiot some time back by another nexus member - do not ask for his/her username, i remember it, but i do not want somebody who knocked some smarts into my head to get in trouble. short version of the story: i made a post. got called an idiot on a reply post. then, after feeling the requisite indignation, i reread my initial post (twice) and realized that all the other poster was doing was holding up a mirror. afterwards i went from upset at being called stupid to upset at ​acting stupid. i think i finally managed to get my point across and explain what i meant, but it took me two more posts before i succeeded.

lesions i learned from that bit? 1) proofread what you before you post it. 2) remember that forum conversations are NOT done in real time, you do not need to blurt it out right now, so look stuff up and think it over before you post it. 3) if you do not know what you are posting about, do not post about it. 4) find the spellchecker on your computer, this will help others understand the word you are trying to spell. i still have problems with different words that have the same pronunciation, but with different spellings.

fyi: this little post took me around forty minutes of reading, considering, then rewording my post.