NPC's missing

gmg2dave

You didn't make that mod did you? You're defending it like it was your only child :D Just kidding. I don't know what to say to you it did break my game. Maybe it's because of some other mod I don't know I'm no modder. If I were to guess though my guess would be Improved Atmosphere since I saw how much people complain about it's compatibility issues. But when I tried it with only IA installed and it worked fine.

Edited by MeToLee

Yes, IA is known to break many, many things. It's usually fine when it's used all by itself. But it doesn't play well with others.

I just wondering why you seem to have a particular grudge against EDS, since it doesn't interfere with ANYTHING at all that I know of, yet you have posted the claim (totally unsubstantiated by anyone else) that it causes problems in at least four different topics. :dry:

I don't have a grudge I love that mod :D My "claim" as you said comes from the fact everything worked fine after disabling it. I did enabled it again everything was fine. I posted it in four different topics because I didn't know which one was active at that moment. I just wanted to help people. Maybe disabling it can help someone like it helped with my problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, this is indeed mind boggling. I experienced this issue and found this thread, so I just uninstalled EDS to see if it's indeed the "culprit." Low and behold, the Chantry board in Redcliffe is back. After some testing, I've found that this is caused by conflicts with Improved Atmosphere. I can understand why EDS would impact on the "Captured" quest, or why IA would conflict with a lot of mods, but why the heck would EDS even impact on the rearrangement of the Chantry board by IA in Redcliffe?

Edited by ripple

Well, this is indeed mind boggling. I experienced this issue and found this thread, so I just uninstalled EDS to see if it's indeed the "culprit." Low and behold, the Chantry board in Redcliffe is back. After some testing, I've found that this is caused by conflicts with Improved Atmosphere. I can understand why EDS would impact on the "Captured" quest, or why IA would conflict with a lot of mods, but why the heck would EDS even impact on the rearrangement of the Chantry board by IA in Redcliffe?

I've never ever used Improved Atmosphere, and I've had the chantry/merc/mage quest givers not spawn in Redcliffe. The issue (as I understand it and with the caveat that I am merely a layperson and not a 'real' modder) is not EDS-specific, but rather with how many installed mods are affecting the Event Manager (engineevents/eventmanager.GDA)... even when there is not a direct conflict between the mods, the game engine cannae process more than a few changes to this file, and things start mis-firing (or firing not at all).

While removing EDS may fix the issue, it's not that EDS is directly responsible... it's merely part of a cumulative 'bug' (or really, a limitation) that is inherent to the game's engine.

In my experience, when there is 'one too many' mods affecting the Event Manager, uninstalling any one of the mods that use Event Manager will set things right; for example, when I again encountered things not triggering in Redcliffe, and spent time tracking down the culprit, omitting the Item Set Fix worked just as well as removing EDS.

tl; dr - it's probably the Event Manager + the number of mods, and not any one mod.

(edited for clarity -tsm)

Edited by theskymoves

Adding to what tsm just said, I've used EDS for years with no ill effects. Ever.

I'm always playing with scores of mods installed, but VERY few that fiddle with the Event_Manager. So that may be why I don't have these issues. :laugh:

tl; dr - it's probably the Event Manager + the number of mods, and not any one mod.

(edited for clarity -tsm)

Huh....thanks for that. You saved me a lot of time that would have otherwise been wasted unpacking the files and squinting at them in the toolset (when it comes to mod conflicts, I am just OCD like that...). I guess I've just been spoiled by Bethesda games where you can dump 100+ mods and make them work together through sheer stubborn persistence. I guess I have to remember this game is from 2009--which is like...20 years ago in dog years, and every engine has it's limits.