dark113

I have noticed that many mod makers do not take in to account ballistics of a weapon and the round that will be fired from it I don't know the actual workings of the mods ( because I can not get my GECK to work ) on many ocations I have taken a shot at a target from far beyond the actual effective range and had a critical kill

There are 3 Types of ballistics.

1) Internal - The interior workings of a weapon and the functioning of its ammunition.

2) External - The flight of the bullet from the muzzle to the target.

3) Terminal - What happens to the bullet after it hits the target.

Gravity

Drag - The slowing effect the atmosphere has on a bullet. The higher the temperature, the less dense the air. A 20 degree change equals a one min. elevation change. ie. If the temperature is 20 degrees higher than on the day you zeroed your weapon, the the bullet will travel 1 inch higher at 100 meters, 2 inches at 200 meters, 3 inches at 300 meters, etc...

Altitude / barometric pressure - Sense the air is thinner at higher altitudes, the air is less dense and a bullet will strike the target higher.

Humidity - When humidity goes up the air becomes thicker and the bullet will strike low.

Bullet efficiency - The bullet's ballistic coefficient will effect the accuracy. A perfect bullet would be rated at 1.00. Match bullets range from .500 to .600. The 7.62-mm bullet that the M24 uses is rated at .530.

Components of a rifle round

Primer - used to ignite the powder and create a pressure seal.

Case - A container / creates an airtight seal in the chamber / assists in head space / creates uniformity of bullet placement in the chamber.

Powder - Heat and pressure push the bullet. Three types of powder are Flake, Ball, and Extruded. Powder burns at 47,000 lbs x the number of grains (weight).

Coriolis Effect

When talking about ballistics, the Coriolis Effect refers to the deflection on the trajectory of the bullet generated by the spinning motion of the Earth. Its effect is negligible at medium distances, but becomes important around 1000yds and beyond, especially because it can add to other minimal errors and keep you off target.

the current (real world) longest confirmed kill was 2,475 m (2,707 yd) Accuracy International L115A3 ( mill desanation for the AI AWM (Arctic Warfare Magnum) ) using .338 Lapua Magnum LockBase B408 bullets

it seems that in the game world kills can be in excess of the stated real world

comments invited

I've toyed with the idea of introducing real-world ballistics, and the reality is that A) it's a -massive- pain in the ass to do, and B) the few systems I've seen are buggy as hell thanks to engine limitations.

And actually, IIRC max in-game distance is equal to about 400-600 yards. Even then, the most powerful optic in-game only has something like 4.5x magnification anyway (while the scope I have on my .22LR rifle has a minimum of 6x magnification, all the way up to 18x), so anything much past 600 yards would be -really- hard to see anyway. And then we have to factor in render distance, which varies rig to rig thanks to hardware specs, and cell edges/boundaries - can't count the times I've nailed some poor Fiend right on the ragged edge of my NPC render distance only for the corpse to get blown out of existence thanks to hitting a cell boundary and disappearing.

On FO3 i use the sniper zooming in combination with the usmc pack weapon carried are the scar sd the m200 f sd and mk23 usp f sd another thing i also suspect it is also the round you are using as well

Wiskey River do you do re text or can make a mod as i cant get my GECK to work

• 1 month later...
As far as I can tell, the only ballistics factor the game takes into account is bullet velocity. You can change it so gravity and range take effect, ultimately creating bullet drop, but that's only if you change the projectile. I haven't seen any weapon mods where the author does this, aside from a couple mods that are actually meant to add that in. Edited by 2010rrsupercharged