Encouraging users to donate to authors on the Nexus WITHOUT people resorting to begging

Stunami

If you'd ever played a Freemium game you'd see that they use videos very frequently. Your concept would seriously hamper the experience and environment of the Nexus, and it would go against the whole concept of the Nexus being a source for free mods. I have no problems with a Patreon style donate option for modders (if anything, I support this method the most) - but forcing people to watch videos and view adverts is just a way to punish people who can't afford to support their favourite mods, or just don't want to.

The best, and only way, to make donating to modders a viable and tasteful option for this community (in my opinion) would be a Patreon style approach to funding. This is similar to how Chesko had intended to use the Steam Workshop funding option actually (those who donate get early release for mod updates), but the way Valve presented the Pay to Play model on the Workshop was the opposite of tasteful, and unfortunately Chesko was wrongfully punished by the community for that.

Either way, this is just my opinion on this. Take it as you will.

I actually had an idea to encourage people to donate. This thread seems like a good enough place to post it.

I personally feel modders should be able to get paid for their work, the way Steam is doing it is 100% wrong if you ask me though.

What I'd like to see?

1. When you try to download a mod it takes you to a donation page, you HAVE to input a value into the donation box even if that value is $0.00

2a. If you donated $X or more the download starts (modder determines X).

2b. If you donated $X- or less you are taken to a short advertisement. Once the advertisement is done the download starts.

3. F*** Bethesda and Valve taking 75%, do this on Nexus instead.

4. Modder profits and nobody is screaming bloody murder except idiots who don't want to deal with a 30 second advert.

You could even mark on a persons account what mods they've paid for so that future attempts to download the mod doesn't take them to the donation page and instead immediately starts the download.

Additionally, track on the persons account how much they've donated if they've donated under the minimum. That way if they reach the minimum or go above it through multiple donations over time then they also will get to skip the ad in the future.

People like to pay for things that they enjoy. It just needs to be done in a way that is not so objectionable. Honestly, can you imagine anybody being severely against the idea I laid out here?

Ok a few points I'd like to add to your post.

1. I like the idea of the donation page but I think that the idea that you "HAVE" to input a number even if it is 0.00 is still going to put off a lot of people, as was proven with "Paid Mods" idea people do not like being told that something in mandatory, rather have an option like it is now with certain mods have a Donate button on the download window but remove the need to have to input a number.

2a. This could and would likely never happen as it is too much like pay to play and the nexus is strictly against, or even forbade to sell products for money, even more so now I would imagine.

2b. This kind of thing right now after this disaster would only serve to reignite the fire that we as a community have barely managed to douse.

3. The idea that we could do a similar thing to valve on a site like this is nothing short of comedic, while we are allowed to accept donations we cannot legally promote them as vividly as valve did, for many reasons some of which I'm sure Dark0ne has covered before.

4. Adverts should not be placed before mods especially on a site like this as it screams "Paywall" to many users

The best solution to this is simply to find ways to further enhance the currently used system as now those who wish to can have a donate button on their download window

If you'd ever played a Freemium game you'd see that they use videos very frequently. Your concept would seriously hamper the experience and environment of the Nexus, and it would go against the whole concept of the Nexus being a source for free mods. I have no problems with a Patreon style donate option for modders (if anything, I support this method the most) - but forcing people to watch videos and view adverts is just a way to punish people who can't afford to support their favourite mods, or just don't want to.

The best, and only way, to make donating to modders a viable and tasteful option for this community (in my opinion) would be a Patreon style approach to funding. This is similar to how Chesko had intended to use the Steam Workshop funding option actually (those who donate get early release for mod updates), but the way Valve presented the Pay to Play model on the Workshop was the opposite of tasteful, and unfortunately Chesko was wrongfully punished by the community for that.

Agreed those 'freemium' games are exceptionally annoying, I find that having to wait "x" amount of time for content can be a major downfall to the author/creator as it puts of many potential consumers, the donation system should be enhanced further I truly believe.

The other option the mod authors have if they wish to enhance upon the donation button is something similar to gofundme which is essentially a site completely separate from the nexus and still allows those who wish to donate to do so and in the process funds the mod author to continue to make better mods all without infringing on the current system implemented within the nexus.

I actually totally encourage the use of Patreon as a way for modders to get payed by there biggest fans, instead of something like PayPal.

The current donation system doesn't work because it only gets the modders a tiny amount of money which is not enough for them to live off of.

If each mod author had a patreon page, then people who have lots of money and are willing to support their favorite mod author can either set up a payment plan where they pay every month for a price they chose, or everytime the author uploads a new mod or updates an old one. This would give the mod authors the support they need to continue making these great modifications for the community, and it would still remain free for those who can't afford to even donate.

I think this is a great system, and I want to encourage mod authors to start using it.

Reading these posts and the threads I feel really positive that a system can be put in place that works for everyone. The crux of it for me is that people will more likely want pay for something they feel enriches their experience and it is something that they can feel a part of.

I think the problem lies in that perhaps many users do not feel as though they are a valuable part of the community a lot of the time, they are seen as people who just consume without ever giving anything back. This is why the mentality arises where people do not feel like they owe anybody anything and this is now starting a vicious circle of mod creators not feeling appreciated and then feeling alienated and abused by their audience.

I started a topic in the same place as this one called "is the word "user" negative". There the discussion seems to veer towards the idea that its not the word per se but the connotations that surround it. I think there needs to be a community approach to this and we all need to see that there is a lot of area in between a person who has never modded but loves the scene and a person who could make a living out of it.

I am one of these people, I mod A LOT (nothing worth releasing), I tinker, test, debug and troubleshoot and when I can I contribute in every way I can, including when I can afford it, financial donations.

I think that in addition to making the donate button a little more prominent (because people do at least think about it then), we also need to find a way to make everyone feel like they are part of it, can contribute, and are a valued member of the community. Even if they are just trying stuff out and then letting the author know about it. The respect has to come from both sides and yes I know there will be stroppy users and "entitled" mod creators but they are not the majority (yet) and can be challenged by other members of the community, and moderators if need be.

How we do this, well personally I agree a UI change on the website will help but also I think (as stated in the topic I mentioned) a revamping of the endorsement system so that it is not solely about individual mods i.e. the mentality of "I have endorsed and that is my part done". Maybe an expansion of the endorsement system to allow us to endorse other members for other things, technical support perhaps, or diplomatic resolution of a sticky situation. This way each member of the community will be able to appreciate the value brought by the whole community and not just a select few individuals.

Is it such an alien idea that a mod author might want to donate to a "user" because they found a problem and then helped them solve it?

I'll just put this here instead it seems a more fitting place for it

Well some more ideas on how we " The Community " can enhance appreciation of not only the modders but the users as well.

I'll bullet point some ideas, feel free to comment and tell me if they are good/bad and whether you think implementing them will enhance or detract from the community spirit (this also includes input from moderators and Admin's including Dark0ne himself)

• Monthly or quarterly (every 3 months) events/sweepstakes where the prize could be a gift of some sorts (this would have to be worked out, but is feasible) Moreover every month would likely be a little excessive, could be reduced down to every 3 or 4 months (this number is at the mods/admins discretion)
  • Once every 6 months or annually hold a huge developer supported mod contest where the winner could receive a gift from developer (could help build relations back up)
    Developer gift could be swag bag of goodies or something of equal or greater value.
  • Set up and run a moderated Review page for any and all mods, we could have mod users submitting reviews for mods they use, this would give people more creativeness and it would also shine a much needed light on more and more mod authors. This one could be an extreme pain to initialize as it would probably require more hosting power and would ultimately cost more, still worth a suggestion though.

• Offer more substantial rewards to active/helpful members: The one's who show a certain degree of decorum and actually help benefit the site in a positive way would then feel more rewarded for their continuous efforts to enhance and grow the community and contribute towards it's positive future.

These are just off the top of my head ideas for enhancing this already great albeit slightly damaged community after the recent outbreak of last weekend, the above ideas are all subject to the discretion of the Admins/Moderators.

Well some more ideas on how we " The Community " can enhance appreciation of not only the modders but the users as well.

I'll bullet point some ideas, feel free to comment and tell me if they are good/bad and whether you think implementing them will enhance or detract from the community spirit (this also includes input from moderators and Admin's including Dark0ne himself)

• Monthly or quarterly (every 3 months) events/sweepstakes where the prize could be a gift of some sorts (this would have to be worked out, but is feasible) Moreover every month would likely be a little excessive, could be reduced down to every 3 or 4 months (this number is at the mods/admins discretion)

• Once every 6 months or annually hold a huge developer supported mod contest where the winner could receive a gift from developer (could help build relations back up)

Developer gift could be swag bag of goodies or something of equal or greater value.

• Set up and run a moderated Review page for any and all mods, we could have mod users submitting reviews for mods they use, this would give people more creativeness and it would also shine a much needed light on more and more mod authors. This one could be an extreme pain to initialize as it would probably require more hosting power and would ultimately cost more, still worth a suggestion though.

• Offer more substantial rewards to active/helpful members: The one's who show a certain degree of decorum and actually help benefit the site in a positive way would then feel more rewarded for their continuous efforts to enhance and grow the community and contribute towards it's positive future.

These are just off the top of my head ideas for enhancing this already great albeit slightly damaged community after the recent outbreak of last weekend, the above ideas are all subject to the discretion of the Admins/Moderators.

Endorsed!

I think the ideas above are great, especially the review page. You don't know how many great mods I have seen that I feel should have gotten coverage, but no YouTuber has covered them in a video spotlight. I have tried to record my own video spotlights, but because of my voice and speech, my written word is alot better than my vocal one. Overall, a great idea.

Set up and run a moderated Review page for any and all mods, we could have mod users submitting reviews for mods they use, this would give people more creativeness and it would also shine a much needed light on more and more mod authors. This one could be an extreme pain to initialize as it would probably require more hosting power and would ultimately cost more, still worth a suggestion though.

That may be the understatement of the year. Time is a finite resource. And there already isn't enough of it to go around.

/warning sarcasm follows/ :tongue:

While the moderated review may look like a great idea, we currently support mods for a LOT more than just Skyrim - in fact currently about 173 games. That means that the staff will have to somehow acquire all of these games, and play them each enough to be familiar with their various quirks and play styles - that will take more time than we have - More time than another 30 moderators will have - Just to learn the games. Then, we get as many as a hundred mods here a day - meaning that someone will have to spend a lot of time just downloading and playing new mods. Add in the 115,843 mods we already have and you just took my next 200 years doing nothing but playtesting and writing reviews for mods. Then that number is constantly increasing so we will never catch up. When do we get to sleep? :ohmy:

Oh, so you think we should only work with those games you like. And forget about those that other members like? Yeah, that will go over real well with people who like some other games. :pinch: Even if we were to limit this to Skyrim alone - there just isn't nearly enough time to do a reasonable review of every new mod that comes along. How about we allow members to comment on each mod in that mods forum page - that allows anyone to submit their own personal review of any mod they play. And that is exactly the system we have always used. Unfortunately, a lot of members just skip over this obvious place to make and find reviews and just use the mod forum as a place to demand the author change the mod to suit their personal preference. Or just "Your mod sucks." With no explanation of why they think this. :rolleyes:

The main reason many mods haven't been covered in a YouTube review is there are just too many mods to do them all. Besides, you don't have the time to watch all of the already existing YouTube review videos anyway. :cool:

I am unsure this is current practice but could a simple set of things that must be covered in the description or readme files do some of this?

Things like, known/possible incompatibilites, installation/uninstallation, what it does/doesn't do. Nothing grand, just the basics.

Its no review but it gives a standardised approach to the issue and well its the community on a whole that will be doing the work and therefore no need to try and get a few people to take on such a mommoth tusk :tongue:

It doesn't even need to happen overnight, but gradually.