Encouraging users to donate to authors on the Nexus WITHOUT people resorting to begging

Stunami

@ssb; If I understand your point correctly, then maybe I see a middle ground; a scroll that says "Mod Donor". No identification of which mod(s) or how much, but an acknowledgement that the member contributed monetarily to the Author Community. :mellow:

NOTE: This would have to replace the current "Premium" or "Supporter" one if a member already had that, since the IP Boards software only allows one.

This sounds like a good idea!

This is definitely something I would support the further development of. If at all possible the titles could change (like the Enthusiast, Fan, Old Hand etc...) as you gain more experience and knowledge within the communtity.

It would also be nice for younger (poorer) people, who do not have much money sometimes, to earn points by being helpful to authors. The authors could then "endorse" this member. Once the member gets, say, 250 of these they go up a level. It would be this encouraged feeling of, if I support I am actually gaining something back.

I do not know the technical implementation of this but I feel it will help to create a stronger atmosphere of "we can all contribute".

That is a great idea, you can currently change your title (Enthusiast, fan, old hand...) to whatever you choose, however having it update to a different name based on your interaction level within the community sounds like it could be of benefit to this community, Since this is server based and probably runs on Python and Java among others including but not limited to HTML it shouldn't be impossible to implement this idea as the ranks could easily be adopted and changed based on status and activity, it is as yet an unknown as to whether the languages used in the sites creation have automation tools which would make this job easier, perhaps even someone could write the code up (if you knew php, html, java, css, Python, etc....)

Guess we'll have to wait for a moderator to weigh in on this one for more details.

The advertismnent like "in your face" nature of the suggestion is a bit over the top and would need to be toned down to not have an app store feel. However, so long as it could be tweaked to not be intrusive, I support this idea.

It would be helpful if we could see how many have/are donating to the mod and how much its currently generating and generated overall in the past. This way, each potential donator can decide for themselves if the mod author is being fairly compensated for their work. If no, then they may be compelled to donate. If they are already fairly or even generously compensated for their work in the users' eyes, they can withhold the donation for another deserving mod/author that isn't getting the recongizion they deserve.

It would also be helpful if we knew how much each mod author was receiving across all their mod projects on the Nexus. New users wanting to help the community might want to donate money to a mod that simply adds a new type of spoon to Skyrim because they feel bad the mod has so far received nothing at all... meanwhile they didn't realize the same author also has a mod in the all time TOP 10 and is raking in thousands, or is doing quite well over on the Fallout or Dragon Age portion of the site.

Clearly, Valve and Bethseda can't and won't do this thing right. We need to be the change we want to see.