Fallout 3 won't install on Win7

batai37

I've read variously that F3 is and isn't compatible with Windows 7. In fact, on the Windows 7 Compatibility site F3 is checked as compatible with both 32 and 64 bit versions of W7. However, when trying to install it I keep getting the "...not compatible with this version of Windows..." message. I've tried changing compatibility mode for the setup.exe file (which is limited in the drop-down menu to only Windows Server 2008, and Vista and Vista SP1 & 2 - XP isn't listed at all), to no avail. This is the disc version I'm trying to install, not the Steam one.

So what gives? Suggestions? TIA...

Edited by batai37

Try this:

That won't work. As the installer won't even start and therefore I haven't even chosen an installation location, there isn't a Fallout 3 folder yet to put that file in. That file is meant to resolve crashes and stuttering issues, not installation problems AFAIK.

The auto installer won't proceed, and running the setup.exe file directly from disk (in admin & compatibility mode) results in the "not compatible" message above.

I could be very off base here... Fo and FONV REALLY aren't my bag. But if you look at the retail box it will say that STEAM is required for validation. I'm guessing that it's not proceeding because STEAM has not yet validated the install.

According to sources that I trust, many of the files that are installed, have to be DL'd thru the steam servers.

Edited by DarkeWolf

Steam is not used for a retail version of Fallout 3. I can confirm that FO3-GOTY installs on Win7 64-bit without issue. Not sure why you are having problems, Batai. Are you using the autorun feature or are you running the setup.exe from the disc?

Steam is not used for a retail version of Fallout 3. I can confirm that FO3-GOTY installs on Win7 64-bit without issue. Not sure why you are having problems, Batai. Are you using the autorun feature or are you running the setup.exe from the disc?

The autorun simply won't run if I click on "install" and the menu closes and task manager doesn't show the setup.exe as a running process, so I've been trying to install by running the setup.exe on the disk as I mentioned above. That results in the incompatible version message, even when run as admin/compatibility mode. I'm trying to figure out why XP isn't offered as an option for compatibility for setup.exe, since that might actually work. The only options available in the drop down are what I described above.

And yes, it should work on Win7 according to the Win7 compatibility site, although Bethesda's apparent official position is that Win7 isn't supported. If you look at the required specs, only XP and Vista are listed as compatible OS's despite what MS says but obviously a lot of people play FO3 on Win7, many without any issues at all let alone installation issues.

Edited by batai37