Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

I just want to say a big thank you to Dark0ne and the Nexus for all they do, for keeping mods free and for keeping everyone informed. I think the main thing that separates the Nexus from steam and other sites is the community here and how open and respectful everyone is toward each other. I hope that this never changes because it's something that other sites just don't have and us gamers are lucky to be able to be a part of a site like this. Keep up the good work.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken the time to read it, albeit it was rushed, forgive me if I had read/understood some stuff wrongly.

First, thank you for clearing the issue with the provider thing. Many of us were confused by this, and I trust this matter is now settled.

Secondly, I hope that you have learned a lesson here, which is to communicate effectively and efficiently information that would likely be controversial in the future.

Thirdly, the last quote of the article I think is what many of us fear. I understand the argument that modders want to get paid and stuff, but looking at this issue long-term, it would lead to the end of free modding. Honestly, I haven't seen any counter arguments about this, please tell me if you have any info on this.

The fact is, with where modern gaming has been going on these few years, with day 1 dlcs, cosmetic dlcs, buggy launches, and so many more, people are expecting the worst.

Thank you for writing this article, and you have my support on the fight against free modding.

Is ok an all but you had time to post something before chesko did.

No one could've anticipated the S****storm this was yesterday but you guys did had time.

All you had to do was to say that the Nexus might get some revenue from WS based on the modders choice because of the "Service Provider" thing.

Saying nothing does not mean you have nothing to say.

I understand and will always keep using the Nexus.

For me there is no YES or NO on this matter.

Only time will tell.

Choose a side Dark0ne. You are either with them or against them(passive-aggresive, so clever). There is no middle place on this one. Mods should be free by it's nature. Donation YES, paid in front NO. Edited by gastovski

• They also asked me if I could suggest any other tools within the community that would deserve to be a Service Provider. They said they'd already be in contact with SKSE, NifTools and TES5Edit. I directed them to wrinklyninja and the BOSS/LOOT team. I do not know if they contacted them or what their response was.

In case anyone's interested, no, I haven't been contacted by anyone at Valve or Bethesda.

Edited by wrinklyninja

You make awesome points, and with a great dash of humor that is really needed in these terrible dark times (I may be exaggerating a bit too). Thanks, Dark0ne! Had I mentioned that you rock? :dance:

In response to post #24636819. #24637264, #24637439, #24637449, #24638194 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:
Noortje wrote: My fear is the same. Companies will all hop on the bandwagon and companies will no longer allow free mods for their games. Modding will be forced into illegality.
Chrono180 wrote: I would like to express my gratitue towards you, Dark0ne, for being able to be a calm and collected head when everything goes into chaos. Regardless of the pros and cons of the concept of paid for mods, it is good to know that you are able to keep yourself collected and help discuss things in a calm and rational matter.

I am sorry about your missing your trip, by the way.
gunslinger6792 wrote: Never doubted you or the nexus. Thanks for the info now please for the love of God get some sleep.
jad31te wrote: " And frankly, I think you are insulting the mod authors who have decided to remain free by saying free modding is over. If you believe strongly in this, stick by them, show them your support, endorse their files if you like them, donate to them. That's what this community needs, not a swirling cesspit of vitriolic hatred. " end quote~

Exactly!! This is what I have actually been putting my efforts twords all night, and will continue to do so, without the mods.. skyrim would be frankly boring at this point. I have invested 707 hours into this game not counting the hours I poured into my PS3..

This whole ordeal the last few days has really had me rethinking somethings, It is so easy to get caught up in this whole thing and b&@*$.. but in reality before today I had never once even considered hitting that donation button. Not that I was objected to it, I just never really thought about it untill this happened.

And there are so many people who really deserve that support from us, I for one will not be Buying steam mods, but instead will be supporting those same people here as I can, where I know they will be getting every cent I give to them.

I want to thank you all so much for giving me so many hours of great gameplay and a great community.

I think that modding is such a vital aspect that for Bethesda/Valve to declare them universally pay only after they have deeply rooted themselves as such a community shared concept, would be PR suicide. They would see a wide spread fallout (no pun intended) against their company and the sales of their next product release would PLUMMET so badly. I'm certain that they must be aware of this and would never do something so bold

and good job quoting robin's entire main post lol ;) Edited by icecreamassassin