The paid mod feature may have been removed from Steam Workshop

Erinaea

I'm just glad this is over.

While happy this was removed, I hate to think about the negative impact this had on some modders. Can't really blame someone for trying to make some money, but some got ripped to shreds on here.

Agreed, the modders are not to blame, and so much hate was thrown their way and I don't think that was deserved.

For me, this was never about paying modders for modding, it was about what it could lead to in the near future if it had been successful. I'm talking about Bethesda only allowing paid mods to protect a revenue stream.

Blame human nature and greed, modders are people and getting something back for hard work isn't necessarily a bad thing. Valve and Bethesda just choose the wrong way to do it, and obviously the majority of people agreed that paywalls isn't the answer. I saw plenty of hate go both ways, some towards modders and some towards the people fighting against this - in the end, its all become a moot point now.

Lets all just hug, kiss and all become friends again - and lets get back to creating mods. Although, since this obviously has hurt the community, it'll most likely take some time for these wounds to heal so I suggest for the time being, extend an olive branch to all the modders, if you can afford it - donate something, if you can't then endorse! Promote your favorite modders, post comments - anything that makes all the work and effort thats goes into modding seem worthwhile and that someone appreciates it, sometimes a little positive message on a crappy day can go a long way.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While happy this was removed, I hate to think about the negative impact this had on some modders. Can't really blame someone for trying to make some money, but some got ripped to shreds on here.

It's not putting their mods on the workshop that was wrong, it's the attitude of some of them. I won't say any name, but some of them were vains and despising toward the community, and i hated that.

Agreed, the modders are not to blame, and so much hate was thrown their way and I don't think that was deserved.

For me, this was never about paying modders for modding, it was about what it could lead to in the near future if it had been successful. I'm talking about Bethesda only allowing paid mods to protect a revenue stream.

Not going to say most of the hate towards modders was warranted, especially to the degree in which it was given, but I will say that some individuals *cough*SkyUI guys*cough* really showed their true colors when money was in sight and frankly I think they deserve some hate for throwing the community under the buss in some of their posts.

Edited by DM Veil

It's not putting their mods on the workshop that was wrong, it's the attitude of some of them. I won't say any name, but some of them were vains and despising toward the community, and i hated that.

Both sides, Boycotters and Workshoppers, hold blame. War ain't pretty, and we lost a lot. Now we need to lick our wounds, build our community up, and be ever vigilant for another attempt to sell mods. Valve said they were going to consider other games to do this on.

Both sides, Boycotters and Workshoppers, hold blame. War ain't pretty, and we lost a lot. Now we need to lick our wounds, build our community up, and be ever vigilant for another attempt to sell mods. Valve said they were going to consider other games to do this on.

To be honest, i didn't appreciate their attitude, but that won't stop me from liking, using and endorsing their works, and even donating, if i can. Being poor sucks.

At least this should be the last we'll see of it from Bethesda, they have a decent track record of actually listening when their fans tell them to stop being stupid, we didn't get any crappy horse armour DLC in Skyrim, and I'm sure there was probably something in Morrowind people shouted enough about to keep it out of Oblivion and Skyrim. Not sure what, mind you, I was too young to really pay much heed to such things back then, I just wanted to run around in my Megaman Zero armour killing monsters.

That was quite the ride.

I haven't been online on the nexus in a long time.

When I read the steam news I thought it was a joke.

They chose skyrim of all games for this. It had to be a joke. XD

But it wasn't and the workshop forum was at war.

I never considered putting my own mods on the workshop for money.

I appreciate the idea that modders should get something in return for their work but this was a step in a completely wrong direction.

I mean if the modders would have gotten like 50% of the money, maybe it would've been acceptable.

But to keep 75% of the money for themselves was just a greedy ultimate bullshit move by valve and bethesda the two companies

that profited so much from the new content and features mods added to skyrim over the years.

It really should be the other way around and they should give mod developers a slice of their income through skyrim.

Bethesda is known for delivering half broken games for many years now but instead of fixing them they provide an easy way to charge

for unofficial patches and keep 35% of the money for themselves.

This is BULLSHIT!

We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating.

So you'll start iterating on a fresh, new community then?

We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here.

Uh-huh. So you havn't dropped the idea then, just put it on the back burner for now.

We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly,

Yes, yes you did. Next time try talking to a few people first and gauging opinions and putting out feelers instead of going behind peoples backs and dropping it on us from a great height, ok?

All well and good, depending on your view. But the fact remains that the can of worms has been opened. I still maintain that this was the perfect setup for future games to be moddable exclusively through Steam. Bethesda's big shindig at E3 will be most interesting.

In the future I find that likely. People are saying "its a victory!" but is it really? Bethesda created the Creation Kit to create content and if it can't be used for making money for Bethesda I can see them turning around and saying "whats the point? Most of our sales are console and not moddable so do we really need to cater for these crazy PC people?" Ok, I think that wouldn't happen as mods help sell a product, or at least encourage ideas and content creators. Probably. But its a possibility.

Whatever happens its been a PR disaster for Valthesda and they really should look into that in future. We're real people Valve, not faceless nobodies you can ignore and think we'll swallow any garbage you'll throw at us. Engage with us. Talk to us. We're listening.