"Whoever Fights Monsters Should See to it That in the Process He Does Not Become a Monster."

TheObstinateNoviceSmith

Your post was very concise and detailed, I also dislike that we so quickly lashed out at those whom provided us with so much for so little in return, while I did not participate in the attacking and flaming of anyone I did participate enough in the essence that I did what any self respecting person would do and defended peoples rights to do as they pleased, more specifically I was on the defense for Isoku & Chesko as I actually never knew that SkyUI was planning on moving to the paywall, had I been aware of such facts I would have defended their rights too.

I consider myself to be a part of this community no matter how badly we as a whole messed up, I think in future we as a unit, as a whole need to be more conscious about our actions and what reactions they might provoke, as at the end of the day, it is not just us that is being hurt by this vendetta that some carried out.

“So tonight you better stop and rebuild all your ruins, because peace and trust can win the day despite all your losing.”

Quoted by Led Zeppelin, but I think it fits quite nicely here. :)

I consider myself to be a part of this community no matter how badly we as a whole messed up, I think in future we as a unit, as a whole need to be more conscious about our actions and what reactions they might provoke, as at the end of the day, it is not just us that is being hurt by this vendetta that some carried out.

It's an idealistic thing to say, and it would be wonderful if possible, but to be honest it's not. As individuals we can police ourselves, I did my best to keep my anger directed at the real guilty parties in this debacle, Valve and Bethesda, not at the modders, and that's all one can really do. We can't very well police each other, we can't control what others say on Steam or Reddit, or other sites, we can't prevent the louder and more hotblooded among us from lashing out at the people who supported paid modding any more than they could prevent their own from lashing out at us. All one can do is to present their case in as calm a manner as possible to their opposite number and ignore the ones lashing out at them with strawman arguments and insults.

I disagree with your portrayal of mod authors as innocent lambkins caught in a heated crossfire. They said their peace, and had a hand in a future that was bleak for the modding community. They are accountable for that.

I disagree with the community members who singled out and attacked mod authors. They should be ashamed at behaving like angry children.

I disagree with the belief that this was about compensating mod authors. It was about the future of modding regarding exchange of ideas, collaboration, growth and everything that comes with those.

I'd like to take this time just to thank everyone who has bothered to take a look at this thread lol. I'd also like to extend gratitude to those taking the time to post their thoughts while remaining positive, taking responsibility of some kind, and or just contributing different ways of looking at this without straying outside the original intention of the thread.

I know it may not last and I'm no one to dictate anything (nor am I trying to), but I still wanted to just state my appreciation.

I disagree with the community members who singled out and attacked mod authors. They should be ashamed at behaving like angry children.

And this is the only thing this particular thread is truly about... rather intended to be about. And I understand those that disagree with the notion that we say "we" even if we personally didn't do anything and/or get involved in anyway, but that is simply what I chose to do because to me, even in wrong, by saying "we" acted like children, it indicates solidarity.

I agree there is some idealism in some of this and realistically we can only control and are only responsible for ourselves, but still, I felt like expressing some things and I'm glad others were compelled to do the same in a positive manner.

Regarding the other things you said Erinaea, I won't debate any of that with you here not because I agree or disagree, it's just that to me this thread is mainly about our behavior towards those we disagree with regarding the proposed recent change(s), not so much whether people were innocent or guilty for believing whatever they believed or what the argument was truly about in any of our opinions.

In a private message, or if we happen upon each other in another thread and it is relevant there, I'd be more than happy to discuss your views.