Weird graphical glitch? Lighting glitch?

xennonkalosh

So, i've been installing mods on my skyrim for the past few days, with few bumps along the road. Little bit of trouble shooting here and there, but nothing big. Until now.

http://puu.sh/hySzs/86204e5e4c.jpg

This problem was fixed, but I haven't fixed the other ones.

That weird blue, white and green thing isn't supposed to be there. It, among other things, just sort of flash onto and off of my screen randomly. The other things being my weapons, hair and other peoples weapons an dhair flashing green, blue or orange. I have already diagnosed that it has nothing to do with my my graphics card settings or anything like that. This only started happening this morning (02/05), after i installed a batch of mods.

The mods that I installed were Realistic Water Two, Better MessageBox Controls, Main Font Replacement, moreHUD, Remove Interior Fog, Sneak Tools, Stealth Kills for Followers, Path of Shadows and Binocular Vision for NPCs. I've tried disabling, removing and re-installing Realistic Water Two, as well as Claralux and Climates of Tamriel. I checked for residual enb files too, and found none. I even went and changed my graphics settings, but to no avail.

All of this is now irrelevant, however, since i actually discovered it's a hardware or software problem involving my GPU.

If anyone could even diagnose this problem for me, i would be grateful, as if I even just know what the problem is, i can figure something out.

Decided to make a quick video.

03/05 3:10 PM ~ After further testing and attempts to fix this, I've discovered that it's changing; Every time I boot my game up, what ever the problem is (flashing streaks of light, giant red blobs, water changing to bright blue) is always different. Although, I've found some combinations. For example, i started my game up once, and saw that there was a flashing red square in the back ground, as well as a streak of slightly darker light coming across my screen. The next time i started my game, there was a red box, but this time, rushing water and smoke coming from fires just sort of flickered on and off, and the rushing water just sometimes flashes bright blue or cyan.

03/05 8:00 PM ~ I've partially diagnosed the problem. The random flashes of light appear to be a minor form of screen tearing, which i am working on fixing now. However, there are also the disappearing textures, and flashing smoke. I might make a video on how to fix this once i've cured it. I also solved the problem in the above picture.

Better video. More frames. More light.

Edited by xennonkalosh

The rendering on your video card and general choppiness suggests you require a hardware upgrade. What are you running on? It made me motion sick just watching your video.

I'm using a 5670, and i've had no problems with it in the past. I've been using it since i initially got the game in 2011.

There were actually three causes to the choppiness, too. It was stuck at around 14 FPS because my game had defaulted to Ultra, I was using Fraps, and whenever the light stuff appears it heavily drops my frames. Not sure why.

Are you using ENB preset?

Are you using HD Dust/Smoke/Particles mod?

So, are you using an ENB right now? Whether you are or not try scrapping everything enb-related, including the binaries, and reinstalling fresh.

I'm not using any HD smoke, dust or anything, and I've already deleted everything ENB related.

However, after further diagnosis, I've discovered that it has been particles that are causing screen tearing.

And I'd just completely reinstall my game, but i want to leave that for absolute last, as i have a really slow download speed, and it took me nearly 6 hours to download the game originally.

I'm just starting to think that my graphics card is starting to die.

Edited by xennonkalosh

Wait, I have two questions

Do you actually play like this most of the time? Not sure if it's a rendering thing or whatnot, but if your GPU is actually playing 5 fps................ Well, you probably don't play like this most of the time lol.

Does this happen with other games?

Try it with other games. Try it with other intensive things. Flash games, etc. etc.

How old is your GPU? That can cause problems.

How hot does it get? Does it run hot enough to melt metal?

Is your computer clogged with dust, etc?

Try googling some GPU testing stuff/benchmarking. Any should do, I have no idea which ones might be good, of course.

And of course, drivers, drivers, drivers. And updates.

Wait, I have two questions

Do you actually play like this most of the time? Not sure if it's a rendering thing or whatnot, but if your GPU is actually playing 5 fps................ Well, you probably don't play like this most of the time lol.

Does this happen with other games?

Try it with other games. Try it with other intensive things. Flash games, etc. etc.

How old is your GPU? That can cause problems.

How hot does it get? Does it run hot enough to melt metal?

Is your computer clogged with dust, etc?

Try googling some GPU testing stuff/benchmarking. Any should do, I have no idea which ones might be good, of course.

And of course, drivers, drivers, drivers. And updates.

My GPU is roughly 6 years old. I've had it since before skyrim ever came out.

And i usually run ~ 33 - 60 fps, unless there's a lot happening on screen all at once.

Then reason for the frame rate being so low was because i was using fraps, and it gobbles up my cpu like a tv dinner.

I regularly maintain my pc, keeping it clean, and my gpu never reaches any hotter than 50 °C / 122 °F .

I've also tested this with a bunch of other games, and it seems to be specific to Skyrim.

I've triple checked to make sure my drivers are up to date, as well.

And i have still yet to try reinstalling the game, but i'm thinking that i'll do it some time this weekend.