Objects disappearing in GECK after saving?

ahztek666

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@davidlallen

No, not really. All I know is that certain vanilla models and certain new models are invalid. The problem vanilla models were dlc04shovel.nif, dresscane.nif, cattleprodgo.nif, and possibly others. I tried to make these static objects on my weapons wall for the armory in my house mod, but no luck. Again, the problem is inconsistent, since I made other vanilla models static objects. My one question for now is: Are folder paths of static objects case sensitive? What I mean is would it make a difference if the meshes folder or others were capitalized?

@ OOP, when I brought up your mod and made a change, I got 5 messages about broken references. I assume all the other ones are working, so the upper limit of problem models seems to be 5. Maybe less, I suppose if there are two problem instances of the same model. Anyway as far as I can tell all your other models are working.

I cannot imagine anything on Windows relying on case-sensitive directory names. If the nif referred to a dds which was missing, or spelled wrong, it might be invisible but I doubt that geck would complain the model was invalid.

@ ahztek666, it is sad, but I really don't think Bethesda will do anything. I think that we have enough experts on this forum to figure out the problem. You mentioned earlier that you cannot post your mod so others can help look. Is that true? Do you plan to ever distribute your mod?

@ blove, on the previous thread I quoted with OOP, I was able to reproduce the problem, but I am not a nifskope expert. If you download the Yangtze Memorial bunker by OOP, and add any new static object, then when you re-enter geck you should see these messages displayed. Maybe you can make something out of them?

I can reproduce OriginOFPain's disappearing objects issue from the other thread, but I do not get error messages when doing so (I do not use GECK PowerUp so that might be why). Like Draco856 replied in that thread, there is a duplicated top level group in OOP's plugin. How it got there I do not know. Editing or adding any static will cause all instances of those references to disappear on save and exit.

VHallSm1WayWinT

VRMWallWindowT

VHallSmShortStairs

VGalleyBridgeExt

[00:01] Background Loader: [YangtzeBunkerPlayerHomeV1_5.esp] Warning: File contains duplicated top level group: GRUP Top "STAT"
[00:01] Background Loader: [YangtzeBunkerPlayerHomeV1_5.esp] Merged 4 record from duplicated group: GRUP Top "STAT"

Opening OOP's plugin in FNVEdit and saving it to merge the headers will allow you to edit or add statics without issue. The textures for those models do not seem to be in the BSA but I would not think that would be a problem.

Perhaps Ahztek666 some how managed to create a duplicate top level group as well?

@davidallen

I had my mod for download previously but it got taken down by the moderators as i unknowingly used some illegal resources from another mod (Skree's BF2142 mod). Because this obviously breaks one of the sites rules, that is why it got taken down. I am working to rectify the problem but the moderator i am talking to says it is a slow process to investigate the model files in question because he doesnt have a copy of BF2142 to compare the models in the original game to the ones that Skree has used. I have asked numerous times for the actual mod file to be removed and the page reopened so i can upload a new mod, but this particular request seems to be getting ignored.