Objects disappearing in GECK after saving?

ahztek666

If you open FNVEdit with your plugin checked and it has duplicate top level groups, when you go to exit FNVEdit it will prompt you to save your plugin which will then merge the headers (even if you have not made any edits). I am curious as to how the duplicates get created to start with.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is indeed the problem it should clear it up. But, even if it is the problem it will not stop it from happening again.

Give it a shot. Open FNVEdit, make sure that your plugin is checked, hit okay, and when the background loader finishes try to exit. If you have duplicate top level groups it will prompt you to save.

I have done a number of things with geck and never had this problem with duplicate records. It is not clear how you and ahztek got these duplicate records. Perhaps there is some action which causes it, but we don't know what. I guess if you see this problem again, you will know what to do, but there is no way to know how often it will happen.

Bad news... i still get stuff going missing. But this time, its not everything i place - only certain stuff. I open FNVEdit and it even says that the stuff i have put in is there in a "temporary" cell. If i check for errors, all those parts come up as errors but when i try to exit it doesnt save..

AAARRGH!

Also, i have created a new cell in which i want to fill with items, but for some spastic reason NOTHING i place in that particular room sticks around it is visible in GECK, but not in game.. does anyone know why this would be? also, most of the stuff i put in there disappears once i re-load in geck as well..

Edited by ahztek666

If you aren't using geck powerup, you are hurting yourself more than you need to. With OOP's files, and geck powerup, I was at least able to get error dialog boxes listing which were the problem models. In "vanilla" geck, the problems happen silently.

From your description, it seems possible that the models used to build this room are the ones which are giving the unresolved references, so the room is not working. With geck powerup you may be able to prove/disprove this.

Don't worry about objects showing up in the "temporary" folders in fnvedit. This is the correct behavior. With this engine, objects are either temporary or persistent. An object should only be persistent if a script refers to it by name. So markers, some quest objects, most NPCs, etc are persistent. Everything else, including most furniture and clutter, is supposed to be temporary. The game unloads these objects when the player is in another room, to save total memory.

You have mentioned that this particular mod cannot be uploaded right now due to content from other modders. Is this the only file in which you see this happening? Perhaps the file is wedged somehow. If we could see it, we might be able to fix it. Can you make this happen in some other file, which you can upload?

Edited by davidlallen

The room is working - i can travel to and from the room without worry, the teleport point works perfectly. All the shelves, walls, lights etc from the Penthouse Armory.esp are working, but when i load up the Replacements.esp and set it as active, i cant get the mods placed into the new room cell. for some reason they dont link up.