Custom NPC's face is different.

Pixipoly

Hello there everyone, I'm new here and new to modding! But hopefully someone can help me.

Just yesterday I followed a toturial on making my own custom NPC, everything worked out fine (hurray!!) and I found my NPC in game with no problems.. Other than his face wasn't the same face that I created. The eyes had reverted back to High Elf eyes instead of the custom human eyes that I have. (I have a mod that lets all races use all eyes)

I'm sure I did everything correctly. I got my character's appearance by using "SPF Jarad" my followers name in-game, filled in all the settings, imported the character into Creation Kit and exported his face. I noticed that when I previewed the face in the Creation Kit it also wasn't the same here either, but I put it down to being different in the CK. I used lots of custom menus when creating my character in the showracemenu and also tweaked with the face mesh quite a bit, I also adjusted his height a tiny bit, maybe this has something to do with it?

I got some warnings when loading my DATA into the CK, is this normal? The ones below and a few others. However everything loaded fine.

MASTERFILE: NavmeshInfo 00028e37 has no parent space, ignoring

MASTERFILE: Errors were encountered during InitItem for reference:

Base: #WRShackDoorMinUse01' (000FE471)

Ref: blahblah

Cell: blahblah

When I got in-game the face looked more like his High Elf race, with the High Elf eyes and a larger chin, the facial hair for my character worked the first time.. After coming across this problem I edited my character a bit and used the SPF again and imported/exported again to see if that would help. I added some war paint this time to know the difference, the war paint showed up fine but the chin was now poking out from the facial beard.

I have attached a photo of what I wanted him to look like, and what he actually looks like.

If anyone can help me with this problem that would be amazing. I'd love to learn and make more custom NPCS!

Thankyou

Edited by loveheist

for stuff like custom eyes/textures/hair/anything like that, you either need to copy that into the follower mod in question, or make that mod a master of your follower mod. As for racemenu face changes, those are not compatible with the creation kit. Thankfully, there are ways to get around this. What I've used before is NPC nif merger (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40494/?) that allows you to export the model and alter its blocks rather than a set of sliders that the CK can read and export a face.

Edited by Dibthelegend

Thankyou so much for the reply, I'm glad theres a way around this! However I'm extremely new to this... Could you maybe go through the steps on what I should do after I've installed the mod you linked me to?

Load your character that you want to copy. type showracemenu to bring up RaceMenu. Go to the sculpt tab and use whatever hotkey exports chargen profile (it's like f9 or something.) Boot up NPC nif merger. for the source face model, drag and drop the .nif file from Data/SKSE/plugins/chargen. and for the target, Data/meshes/actors/character/facegendata/Facegeom/*insert your follower mod here*. Then select the marge to target option in Nif Merger. Last thing you might need to do is copy the texture file from the chargen export to the mod's facegen folder to overwrite what the CK made. I've only done this a couple times but I think I remembered it all correctly. Good luck

Edited by Dibthelegend

Thanks again!! I managed to do everything properly up until "Merge to Target" in the Nif Merger.

Now the file has been moved to my Facegeom > *my follower folder* but it is now a NIF.bak file? The old NIF file is still there too, should I delete this?

I still have a .dds and a .nif file in my CharGen folder, are these the "textures" you are meaning for me to move into the Facegeom folder? (Which one is the texture file? T_T)

And lastly do I need to do anything in CK once this is done? Like import anything?

Thanks again for helping me with this, I appreciate it so much!!

Edited by loveheist

It automatically changes the nif to the source. the .bak is just an automated backup that the program creates of the original target mesh. you can delete the .BAK if you wish, it doesn't matter. leave the .nif in the chargen folder, but copy the .dds file over to Data/textures/actors/character/facegendata/facetint/*mod name* and over write the texture that the CK created.

Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean by overwriting the texture that CK created though, I only have 2 files in my follower folder.. The NIF I created and the BAK. My .dds file is named something like Head_5-9-2015_22-0-13 do I need to rename this to anything else?

Going to test now and see what happens... :dance:

I sent you a message now but here just in case.. xD

Hi, sorry again! I thought messaging you might be easier.
Okay so currently in my folder I have
00000D62.NIF
00000D62.NIF.bak
and Head_5-9-2015_22-0-13.dds (the face I exported from racemenu)
I also found in facetint 00000D62.dds and 00000D62.tga
Do I need to rename my Head_5-9-2015 file to 00000D62.dds or move the file from facetint into the folder?
Do I also need to do anything with the 00000D62.tga file?