Skyrim crashes my pc (reboot) after 30 to 60 minutes.

Nespheratu

yes i think they all are, i updated my graphic card and sound card.....are there any other important drivers to update? (are there drivers for the cpu/motherboard?)

To digitaltrucker, How exactly do i reset the video card/all other card? is there a button or a switch on the card? Or do I have to take em out of their slots and re insert them? Also, I bet I have to turn my computer and my power supply off?

On another note, I checked if my problem could be caused by a memory block issue but it isn't (the 256mb + 256mb memory skyrim take to load things)

Edited by Nespheratu

Yep, it's called 'card crawl'. The change in temperature of turning a PC on and off can make the cards heat up and expand, cool down and shrink. It's ever so slight but over time the cards will actually lift themselves out of their slots. Old school days when chips weren't soldered onto the mobo you could see chips pop right out.

Hi

When a computer reboots it's self it is usually a bios issue.

Can a Skyrim rendering engine freeze effect the bios? A few weeks ago I would have said no.

Two weeks ago I was having my character go from Ivarstead to Helgen. I noticed that the road was missing just before entering the mountains. This has happened before. I new I was going to get a freeze. I hit F5 to try to get a save in. I was too late. This freeze was big. Ctrl Alt Delete would not take me out of it. I pressed the reset button on the case but the computer would not reboot. All the computer would do is try to restart over and over again. The way I got it up and running again was to reset the bios to default using the pins on the motherboard and then flashing the bios. Since I was in a situation that had caused freezes before I knew it was not a coincidence.

Your freeze may have corrupted your bios. I recommend that you do a reflash of your bios. You can do it in windows with the software that came with your motherboard.

Later

I'm skeptical that a Skyrim issue can corrupt the BIOS. I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely. In all the years I've been using computers - both off-the-shelf and homemade - I've never had the BIOS corrupt itself. As far as flashing your BIOS, OP, since it's clear you're inexperienced with the inner workings of a PC (no offense) DO NOT TRY FLASHING THE BIOS YOURSELF. The above poster is absolutely correct in that a corrupted BIOS will render your computer unbootable. Even using the BIOS flashing utilities correctly, things can go wrong.

The fact that your PC sounds to be booting up and running just fine tells me that your BIOS is not the culprit. As mentioned earlier in this thread, a driver crash or a hardware issue can cause the famous BSOD and depending on your windows settings the computer will reboot.

jones177 - Don't take my comment personally, it's just that flashing a BIOS is fraught with danger if done incorrectly (you can do everything RIGHT and still have it go wrong).

Allright, since I haven't found any good permanent fix on the net (only seems to have temporary ones), I'm gonna try a full uninstall/reinstall of mods and game. It is also what they recommend on Bethesda website (possible corrupted files from a mod)

I don't know if the card crawl thing might be it since I only have my rig since October and (crashy) skyrim since february. I don't think I mistreated it enough for the cards to pop out of the slots. Again, I might be wrong if this can happen at any moments, but then again, would it affect other games I have, like Planetside 2 (runs very smoothly)? And no digitaltrucker, no offense taken, I assume that I am a newbie to pc world and proud to say that I can only improve myself :P.

If the reinstall doesn't work and you guys confirm to me that a card crawl can happen at any time, I'll give it a shot and bring my poor PC at my local pc store.

Thank for the help, I'll keep updated on the results of the reinstall.

jones177 - Don't take my comment personally, it's just that flashing a BIOS is fraught with danger if done incorrectly (you can do everything RIGHT and still have it go wrong).

I don't.

But keep in mind there are people on this forum that have different experiences that you do.

To me flashing a bios is one of the safest things you can do. The factory default setting are in ROM. You can go back to them with a screwdriver. That's old school like me.

Later