Help with UV Mapping

Okralord

Hey I hope I put this in the correct place!

I began modding Skyrim about 6 months ago because I wanted to add armor and weapons to Skyrim from other games. After taking the long journey to understanding how modding works, I've been able to make a few mods.

One of the biggest criticisms I've received is that my weapon and armor mods are "just retextures" of existing objects. The only reason I've done it this way is because I haven't figured out how to link a texture to a mesh on a custom made object.

I'm hoping someone here is willing to take a little time to help me understand how textures and meshes relate. Believe me, I've looked through stacks of tutorials and it just hasn't clicked yet. Thanks!

- Okralord

i actually have a tutorial on that i put up as a Steam guide. Here is a link.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=211267339

as long as you use blender, i can do my best to help walk ya through stuff

Looks like there are a few "holes" in the tutorial. The first one I see is under the "Modeling in Blender" section.

You need to make a UV map, paint your textures on it, save it as a .dds file and link the mesh and texture with Nifskope. All covered in the guide. As for the 'holes' you need to be more specific. I don't know how to improve it if you only tell me it is missing something. I'll walk you through it key by key, click by click, but I need to know exactly where you are getting stuck.

Edited by nhackett

• 4 weeks later...

So it looks like some of the HTML formatting is messed up on the page. In the paragraph right after describing how to divide the elongated cube into 50 sections, there seems to be some loose code bleeding through. Here's a quote of the text. I don't know what instructions come in there so I have the cube split into 50 sections, but I don't know what happens next lol. thanks for the hlap.

"[previewicon=1997999;sizeOriginal,inline;prop edit.jpg][/previewicon] or by hitting 'ALT+O'. Hit 'G' to grab and move the face."

it should be a picture of the proportional editing tool. the menu looks kinda like an O and a ^ next to each other in box.

you can turn it on in the menu or just hit alt + O to turn it on and off.

when i load the page the picture loads, but i might have it saved as some goofy format ill take a look at it later

• 10 months later...

I've been tinkering with modeling for Skyrim again and still haven't been able to export a mesh from Blender to Nifskope with the uv textures intact. Any advice?

Sorry for the loooooong mia. I've been moving and it takes a lot of time lol.