Lady's maid/barber/ sevice village/ in-game solution for change of hair, robes etc.

rosvitacousland

What about an in-game solution? The point is, I only want to change the hairstyle and not to generate the whole new face, in other words unfortunately I would not be able to get the face exactly the same way as before with the generator. Furthermore I would prefer to have a plausible way inside the story (instead of a complicate and unmotivated way out of the game with changing saved games etc.) to make my changes...

I've got some ideas:

- servants: (to offer services)

-- a lady's maid to be asked for another hairstyle, perhaps for a crown (in adition for another garment or robe)

--- at Castle Cousland
--- at Castle Redcliffe
--- at Arl Eamon's city palace
--- at the royal palace in Denerim (before leaving the hall for the wedding scene)

- localities: (with new service contracters)

-- towns

--- at Ostagar

--- at Lothering
--- at Redcliffe
--- at Denerim

--- at the Brecilian Forest
--- at Ozammar

--- at Warden's Keep

-- a special village of service (with several service contractors)

-- at the camp (with several service contractors)

- crafts like:

--- a shaver/ barber (change of hairstyle)

--- a taylor (change of garment)

--- a goldsmith (change of jewellery)

--- a medicus for facesurgery?? (change of face)

What you want is something like the Black Emporium which is available for DA2 and DA Inquisition, so you can use the Character Creator (CC) ingame but I think that's not possible for DA:O because of how the DA:O CC is working.

For your suggestions about the robes and clothes etc. that would be possible with a new merchant who is selling that stuff. .. something what a script modder could create.

DA:O has no possibility to use a seperate slot in the inventory for jewellery like other games. Such accessories are always attached to an armour or a hairstyle so that they can show up in game but.. Gabriel has found a way to change hairstyles during the game via the helmet slot.

Look here: http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/4208/?

There is another solution but it is very time consuming: start making those mods by yourself.

Most of the mod makers have gone this way. You see something in game what you don't like or wish to change but no mod is available , so you start to do it by yourself. :smile:

A start could be to to learn the basic about working with the Toolset. There are a lot of tutorials about scripting, adding npc's, followers or what is interesting for you to add a new merchant for example at the camp

who sells certain stuff: https://dragonagemodding.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/creating-a-custom-merchant-for-the-players-camp-part-1/

There are still some active modders around who can help you if you have any questions or problems. :)

As Risibisi said, it's not so easy. In fact, it's practically impossible to create a working "Mirror of Transformation" for DAO.

The problem is that the file used by the game to store your character's face is a ".mor" (for "morph") file. That's like what the graphics version of a scanned copy of a letter would be for text. It works perfectly for reading, but can't be edited by a word processor.

The Character Creator (CC) in DAO uses a ".mop" (for "morph preset") file, which *is* editable. Unfortunately, BioWare didn't implement a "save" function of the customized ".mop" of your face at the end of the CC process. It just exports the final result as a ".mor". (They did remember to do this for DA2, and now DAI.)

The DAO Toolset has more capabilities. Its native file format is the ".mrh", which can be saved directly, or exported as a ".mop" or a ".mor" file. But that still doesn't give you a way to do in-game editing of your character's appearance. :sad:

... First of all many thanks for your friendly advices!

What you want is something like the Black Emporium which is available for DA2 and DA Inquisition, so you can use the Character Creator (CC) ingame but I think that's not possible for DA:O because of how the DA:O CC is working.

... I don't know neither DA2, nor DAI, nor the Black Emporium. I only had the idea that it should be possible to make something modded which is possible outside the game with some saves in the game. Nevertheless if you as an experienced modder say there's no way, I believe so...

For your suggestions about the robes and clothes etc. that would be possible with a new merchant who is selling that stuff. .. something what a script modder could create.

... I even don't know what a script modder means. Though I can imagine, that a new merchant with some robes would be the simplest part of the plan. However I would prefer (maybe in addition to a merchant) some lady's maid to change the clothes, because it just would be make sense for the already existing lady's maiden to have any "user value" at all...

DA:O has no possibility to use a seperate slot in the inventory for jewellery like other games. Such accessories are always attached to an armour or a hairstyle so that they can show up in game but.. Gabriel has found a way to change hairstyles during the game via the helmet slot.

Look here: http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/4208/?

... We know the rings and the amulets are to wear. The problem of course is the hair jewellery. Actually I hoped especially you could find a way for this problem. Thank you for the hint to "A Helmet A Hairstyle". I've yet seen it in the list. So there's a beginning...

There is another solution but it is very time consuming: start making those mods by yourself.

Most of the mod makers have gone this way. You see something in game what you don't like or wish to change but no mod is available , so you start to do it by yourself. :smile:

... I don't know wether I will be clever enough to mod anything. As far as I've understooden the description of these topic of the forum it's meant to propose some new ideas, not necessarily to implement it by my own. Otherwise I would have kept silent (or just would have realized it, if only I was able to)...

A start could be to to learn the basic about working with the Toolset. There are a lot of tutorials about scripting, adding npc's, followers or what is interesting for you to add a new merchant for example at the camp

who sells certain stuff: https://dragonagemodding.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/creating-a-custom-merchant-for-the-players-camp-part-1/

... Many thanks for this advice. ...

There are still some active modders around who can help you if you have any questions or problems. :smile:

... Thank you for friendly offer! ...

... Many thanks for your statement. ...

As Risibisi said, it's not so easy. In fact, it's practically impossible to create a working "Mirror of Transformation" for DAO.

... Actually I never submited such a mod to be easy to make. It only was an idea, a propose. ...

The problem is that the file used by the game to store your character's face is a ".mor" (for "morph") file. That's like what the graphics version of a scanned copy of a letter would be for text. It works perfectly for reading, but can't be edited by a word processor.

The Character Creator (CC) in DAO uses a ".mop" (for "morph preset") file, which *is* editable. Unfortunately, BioWare didn't implement a "save" function of the customized ".mop" of your face at the end of the CC process. It just exports the final result as a ".mor". (They did remember to do this for DA2, and now DAI.)

... Thank you for this vivid description. I believe to understand. ...

The DAO Toolset has more capabilities. Its native file format is the ".mrh", which can be saved directly, or exported as a ".mop" or a ".mor" file. But that still doesn't give you a way to do in-game editing of your character's appearance. :sad:

... So it's impossible. (Even you've written "practically impossible". So there's still a glimmer of hope.) ...

It's absolutely the correct place to post your request!

My last comment was meant more to encourage you to try it yourself in case you can't find somebody who is willing to fulfil your request.

A script modder is just a term I'm using to make a difference between the spectrum of mod creators... it's nothing official... like some would say that I'm a mesh edit modder because I have some basic knowledge and experience with meshes and 3d programs and so there are per my definition modders which can make new cutscence or create followers or merchants and those guys I'm calling script modders because they are working with scripts. :smile:

Of course you can wear rings and amulets but you can't see them ingame... that's the reason why they are attached to an armour or hair etc. :smile:

I didn't mean to imply that you said it would be easy. I was merely agreeing with Risibisi. She said she thought it was not possible, and I meant "practically impossible" in the sense that it is "not possible in practice".

It would take recreating the CC and adding the ability to save the slider values as a ".mop" file, then introducing something like the Mirror of Transformation to be able to make changes in-game.

As it's now more than five years since release, and as some of the best modders around have tried their hands at some pretty complicated mods without being able to pull this off, I think it's "practically impossible".

It's absolutely the correct place to post your request!

My last comment was meant more to encourage you to try it yourself in case you can't find somebody who is willing to fulfil your request.

hair etc. :smile:

Risibisi, many thanks to you for encourating me! I've already suspected something like this. First I've been a little bit irritated because of the purpose of the categorie.

Thank you for the link to the tutorial to create a merchant. Actually creating a merchant at the camp seems still to difficult for an absolut beginner like me. So I will start with some item (I'm thinking about some bracers and boots matching the armour of Evon the Great). We will see.

I didn't mean to imply that you said it would be easy. I was merely agreeing with Risibisi. She said she thought it was not possible, and I meant "practically impossible" in the sense that it is "not possible in practice".

It would take recreating the CC and adding the ability to save the slider values as a ".mop" file, then introducing something like the Mirror of Transformation to be able to make changes in-game.

As it's now more than five years since release, and as some of the best modders around have tried their hands at some pretty complicated mods without being able to pull this off, I think it's "practically impossible".

Thandal, thanks for discouraging me. Intimidated as now I'm afraid I cannot propose any other nice ideas. :smile: Of course, I never ever will belong to these best modders around. However I don't know wether theses geniuses even tried to figure out just this project.

On a serious note thank you very much for your technical assessment. Seems to be usefull to know right at the beginning which ideas are not practicable at all...

Well, Anyone should feel free to request anything. Who knows? Someone may be able to do it. :laugh:

But I was trying to explain why this particular request falls in the "ain't gonna happen" category so that you wouldn't feel discouraged that no one was responding to the challenge. I'm sure a few 1st Class Modders (tsm? Terra_Ex? maybe others?) have taken a look in the past and determined it was beyond their skilz, which are pretty mad to begin with! :cool: