Is modding Hearthfire Interiors possible?

Deleted1790188User

I'd love to try and redo the Hearthfire interiors a bit, or even just move existing items around, but even with markers made invisible the different house layers and items are such a mess I can't see what I'm doing. Is there a way to disable groups of items associated with certain markers, like say for the greenhouse addition, so I can see what I'm doing? Thanks for any help!

Thanks! That works great for places like Breezehome, but it doesn't seem to be working in Hearthfire homes like Lakeview. Any ideas as to why? I'm clicking different X markers and trying it, although I can't find the nice collection of Xmarkers for enabling furniture and such that Breezehome has to the side in CK. Thanks for the help, though! I can put that to use in Breezehome, which is nice. Hearthfire places are probably beyond my skill, I'm just super curious about them.

Nah the Hearthfire manors don't work with markers like that, its like all the objects for the interior are managed through scripts directly enabling and disabling them, there is no way to select a marker and then all its enabled parented items because it just doesn't work that way.

At least that is what I believe, I tried editing those interiors a few times and most items are not linked to any markers, which is why I presume its done with scripts directly.

This imo makes the Hearthfire manor interiors one of the most annoying things to edit and the only way people could change a certain wing was to simply delete everything in there and then start rebuilding it from scratch.

This is why you need to first build everything in your manor (or not build a certain part, so it remains empty) and then install the mods and never build anything through the original benches anymore, because the whole "hearthfire build system" will be screwed up the moment you change or edit something on it.

With markers and enabled parented objects none of these issues would be here, but apparently Bethesda decided to to make it as hard as possible for us to mod those interiors, especially the wings!

are such a mess I can't see what I'm doing

Exactly, and trying to select the correct items to delete or move without causing issues on other upgrades is quite a task, a handy trick is to select an object and then double press "1" to hide it, but I mean, you could do that 1000 times over just to get a clear view in there, its an absolute nightmare.

Edited by Guest

I tried to edit a Hearthfire house a while back (trying to keep the workbench functionality intact) and I remember they use scripts to enable refs in formlists rather than connecting the individual refs directly to their parent markers. IIRC though, there's more to it than simply editing those formlists because the building quest script(s) make checks against something else too. Like Ac3s says, those houses are nightmarish to edit. Its like reference Jenga.

I've been using a mod called Placeable Statics to decorate my Lakeview interior. I use the bench to build the house (trophy, storage, and bedrooms so I get the wraparound deck) and then snatch furniture from across Skyrim (Thalmor embassy, Pelagius Wing, Potema's Catacombs, various bandit lairs) or build the Carpentry Workbench the mod offers and build the furniture on that.

With the mod, items are held in your inventory as weapons or books, and you either drop them or use the included spell to "build" them, and then you can directly manipulate them as far as position and rotation, then set them in place. For your primary furniture needs like beds and tables and chairs and cabinetry/storage, it works great. You can even take wall shelves and horn sconces (once you put them out with an Ice spell). However, it's up to you to add the fine details like bowls of stuff, and that's where Havok gets involved. They call it Havok for a reason.

Alternatively, you can duplicate your Hearthfires homes' interior cells and start cutting out markers and whatnot, decorate it yourself, then link the door from whichever Hearthfires home you want it to be. Only trouble there is you have to build the same one every time, or build a series of variants and use scripts to link the outer door to them based on which configuration you want. But then you're stuck with the vanilla exterior options. Changing those is not for the weak-hearted, I assure you.