4gb enabler for Ultimate edition?

angelsavior9mm

any help appreciated, and i apologize if it's already been answered somewhere on here though i did look. trying to get the fix for the daorigins.exe file that makes it large address aware. After enabling it i get a steam error "dragon age origins ultimate edition failed to start (error code 51)". i'm pretty sure i did it correctly and i have 6gigs of ram so no reason it shouldnt work technically speaking. i assume it's because it modifies the executable and steam doesnt like that very much. any help on a way around it or am i just screwed?

• 1 month later...

So, are you Steam-install players absolutely sure you edited the "daorigins.exe" header correctly?

Because there is absolutely ZERO difference between the UE version of "daorigins.exe" and the patch 1.04 version.

None. Bit-for-bit, they're identical, (ran FC against them.)

I've been running with the FO3 "Large Memory Area Flag" fix since 1.03, and am now on the UE myself. Never had a problem using the header-edited version. Still have very occasional CtD issues, but nothing like the "every 10 minutes" nightmare before I found it. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a solution for this? angelsavior9mm? endersblade?

I also set the Large Address Aware flag on the DAOrigins.exe file.

Every time I try to start the game, the Dragon Age launcher appears. I then click Play, and within a few seconds get an error message from Steam which reads: "Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition failed to start (error code 51)."

I should add that this is a brand new install of DA:O - UE. I haven't added any mods, etc. All I've done is fire up the game for 20 minutes, save, quit, and used the 4gb Patch.

So, are you Steam-install players absolutely sure you edited the "daorigins.exee" header correctly?

I'm fairly sure. I use the well regarded automatic tool, 4GB Patch. So long as you know which exe you want to patch, it's perfectly idiot proof.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Edited by redtrolley

I decided to try the FO3 3GB Enabler instead, just to rule out the 4GB Patch as the cause. I recovered the backup DAOrigins.exe file [i didn't just use the FO3 patch on top of the 4GB patch] and applied the patch. I verified that the header had actually been changed, but...

Unfortunately, I get exactly the same error at exactly the same time in startup sequence.

I'm running Win7 64bit.

edit: More details.

Error code 51 is a Steam specific error. It can usually be solved in other games by either re-verifying the game content, or disabling a certain piece of interfering software [esp. F-Secure]. That doesn't seem to be the case for us with DA:O - UE.

Placing the original non-modified DAOrigins.exe back in place will allow the game to run. Obviously, that's not an optimal solution. We want our LAA flag.

Running DAOrigins.exe [whether via DAOriginsLauncher.exe or directly], with or without Run as Admin privileges, causes an immediate error and crash. The error message is:

Application load error 3:0000065432

Edited by redtrolley

Sounds like you're getting that "Error - 51" precisely because Steam detects that one of the executables it manages has been modified in a way that it does not recognize. So the file fails the CRC check and is flagged as "bad". That capability to verify program integrity is touted as one of the BENEFITS of using Steam! You've given me one more reason to avoid using it if I possibly can. :laugh:

I already knew that it does not allow me the control I like over my programs and file locations. I have to use its folder structure, and it forces updates when it decides to apply them, and doesn't provide a roll-back option even if the "new" version breaks something.

(BTW: Both of the "fixes" above do the exact same thing. They add the "Large Memory Area" flag to an .exe's header.)

Sounds like you're getting that "Error - 51" precisely because Steam detects that one of the executables it manages has been modified in a way that it does not recognize. So the file fails the CRC check and is flagged as "bad".

It does seem that way, but Steam has never minded when I've set the LAA flag in other games.

I already knew that it does not allow me the control I like over my programs and file locations. I have to use its folder structure,

I've come to appreciate having all of my games in one set of directories, rather than mixed up with a hundred other programs in /program files/*. There's no need to wonder whether a particular game is in /program files/electronic arts/ or /bioware/ or /lucasarts/, because they're all together and sorted by game name. It makes backing up the game content directories much simpler.

and it forces updates when it decides to apply them

You can turn auto-updates off for any game that you like. You're correct about it not having a mechanism for patch rollbacks... but I can't think of any game that does that. It's certainly not an industry standard feature.

(BTW: Both of the "fixes" above do the exact same thing. They add the "Large Memory Area" flag to an .exe's header.)

Yeah, I get that. I should point out that the resulting file hashes are different. There must be a difference [however slight] in how the two programs set the LAA flag.

and it forces updates when it decides to apply them

You can turn auto-updates off for any game that you like. You're correct about it not having a mechanism for patch rollbacks... but I can't think of any game that does that. It's certainly not an industry standard feature.

I download the patches for my games into a serperate folder, then if needed I can re-install the game from scratch and patch only to the level I want.

Had to do that more than once with DA as I attempted to troubleshoot the CtD problem on my QuadCore/64-bit/8GB rig that were introduced with patch 1.03. :pinch:

I effectively "rolled-back" to 1.02, then did a comparison of every folder to determine which files were changed when I re-installed 1.03. (It was also useful when I needed to extract the "scripts.ldf" file from the .erf to fix the "accidental" roll-back that BioWare did when they released patch 1.04! :tongue: ) Don't think you can do any of that with Steam.

No, you can't do that with Steam. Probably not with any other digital distro service either. Personally, I've never run into a situation like that on a Steam game. I usually wait until a year or more past a game's release date so that major bugs have been ironed out and interesting mods have appeared before purchasing. That's why I'm only getting around to DA:O now.

It's annoying that this LAA flag issue hasn't already been solved [nor declared unsolvable] by DA:O gamers in the past. This is exactly the kind of situation that usually makes me happy to wait a year before purchasing.

Well, you're in the right forum. If anyone with a Steam install of DA has successfully edited the daorigins.exe header to set the Large Memory Area flag, (and had the game WORK afterwards!) we'd love to hear from you! :geek: