Here's my DOSbox config file for Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

Tchos

This was requested in another thread. It took a lot of experimenting to find a combination of DOSbox settings that ran Daggerfall smoothly. (From the free download on Bethesda's site.) If you're having trouble with it, you can try my config file. The way I have it set up is to have a dedicated copy of DOSbox in the Daggerfall folder, so that I can just execute it from the Game Explorer to play Daggerfall.

I'm running it on a widescreen monitor, and this config setup slightly stretches the picture to fill a bit more of the screen, but not all the way to the edges. It's not too noticeable in this game, being sprite-based 2.5D (where distortion is normal whenever you turn to look at things from other angles), and if it bothers you, you can either specify a 4:3 aspect ratio in the config, or try setting your monitor to force the 4:3 aspect ratio (my monitor does this in its on-screen menu).

I've tested this on Vista 32 and 64-bit. Other Windows versions may be different. This also assumes you've run the patch included in Bethesda's download as they instruct in their readme.

You will have to change the path to your game which is at the end of the config file.

Alternatively, I've seen people mention that certain DOSbox front-ends will automatically download and set up freeware and shareware games, including Daggerfall. I haven't tried that (I found out about it only after I got mine working), but it's a possibility.

Since there's no section on TES Nexus to upload files for pre-Morrowind Elder Scrolls games, this thread will have to suffice, though I can't upload very much in threads like this, due to the global upload quota.

I'm attaching both the config file, and my custom Game Explorer icon for Daggerfall. (I have instructions for how to use such things on my blog).

Edited by Tchos

• 1 year later...

This was requested in another thread. It took a lot of experimenting to find a combination of DOSbox settings that ran Daggerfall smoothly. (From the free download on Bethesda's site.) If you're having trouble with it, you can try my config file. The way I have it set up is to have a dedicated copy of DOSbox in the Daggerfall folder, so that I can just execute it from the Game Explorer to play Daggerfall.

I'm running it on a widescreen monitor, and this config setup slightly stretches the picture to fill a bit more of the screen, but not all the way to the edges. It's not too noticeable in this game, being sprite-based 2.5D (where distortion is normal whenever you turn to look at things from other angles), and if it bothers you, you can either specify a 4:3 aspect ratio in the config, or try setting your monitor to force the 4:3 aspect ratio (my monitor does this in its on-screen menu).

I've tested this on Vista 32 and 64-bit. Other Windows versions may be different. This also assumes you've run the patch included in Bethesda's download as they instruct in their readme.

You will have to change the path to your game which is at the end of the config file.

Alternatively, I've seen people mention that certain DOSbox front-ends will automatically download and set up freeware and shareware games, including Daggerfall. I haven't tried that (I found out about it only after I got mine working), but it's a possibility.

Since there's no section on TES Nexus to upload files for pre-Morrowind Elder Scrolls games, this thread will have to suffice, though I can't upload very much in threads like this, due to the global upload quota.

I'm attaching both the config file, and my custom Game Explorer icon for Daggerfall. (I have instructions for how to use such things on my blog).

Thank you for the file and the pointers!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...