Thane Title Useless?

chrismathis215

I think its stupid in general that in the game you seem to be the chosen one for EVERYTHING you do. Join any guild and you almost instantly become the best in the guild. You are dragonborn. You are the listener. Etc, etc.

Yeah in that sense I prefered morrowind where you actually had to go through a ton of effort to become the best in your guild and you actually got a lot of benefit out of becoming it. Morrowind was in general just a harder game I think, unless you were a hardcore veteran and hunted down the flying staff and speed boots immediately. And strangely enough morrowind actually felt more alive. Probably because of the large number of unique npcs. Skyrim has about 800 unique npc's whereas morrowind had about 3000.

Edited by Noortje

You're supposed to be a hero with the blood of a dragon. Of course mere mortals are going to be easily beaten.

Sure, once you've actually started becoming a great dragon slayer and everything. I guess it depends on how you roleplay - when I start a new level 1 character, kinda like to think that they've only just picked up a sword and started adventuring, or at least that whatever training they have is mainly theoretical.

Oh and playing at highest difficulty bandits are actually a bit of a challenge at level 1 if there's like three+ of them because at least one of them will be shooting his bow at you so you either bunnyhop or die.

The hardest difficulty isn't the default, though - medium is.

I think its stupid in general that in the game you seem to be the chosen one for EVERYTHING you do. Join any guild and you almost instantly become the best in the guild. You are dragonborn. You are the listener. Etc, etc.

True, though I find it more dumb that the game almost tries to force you to play this kind of character - even if you play a dedicated warrior, the main quest tries very hard to get you to join both the Thieves Guild and Mage College.

(Whereas the Companions, oddly, are entirely optional.)

really? I always felt the companions were a more useful guild to join (tons of followers, trainer npcs, free housing, disease immunity, a fleshed out questline etc) and you are constantly reminded of them, the first npc you meet at whiterun will be aela telling you you'd make for a good shield sister and opening up a conversation telling you all about the companions. You don't even go to riften or winterhold during the main quest as far as I know.

Oh and if we're talking medium (i think you meant adept) here, anything is far too easy at that difficulty, you need to put it on at least master to get any sort of challenge if you have any experience whatsoever with a hack and slash game or even an rpg or fps. If something feels too easy in general, increase the difficulty. If something is too easy at max difficulty then I can see an argument for perhaps increasing the difficulty of said task a bit. But again, if a well trained companion follower can't beat it on his own it's probably sufficiently difficult and you're just too good at the game. Skyrim isn't very difficult if you have hundreds of hours of gameplay so either make it difficult with mods or if you really want a challenge try something you don't have experience with (another game genre)

Edited by Noortje

Really? The game will only let you use the thane dialouge to get out of a crime once? I've been able to use it endless times. I think you're game might be glitched there. When I first played on the console version, it wouldn't let me use it at all, so count yourself lucky.