Why different hair files?

InertRen

Hello guys!

Going straight to the point: I'm making a mod with some hair replacements to NPCs, and when I look at some sources like Apachii, KS' Hairdos, etc, usually it is possible to find duplicated NIF files to the same hairstyle, on different folders (Like for human and for elves).

When you dig into the files, it is possible to find a slight difference in file size, but when I opened the NIFs, I couldn't find any visible differences and on node structure.
When I apply a human hair on elves or vice-versa, I couldn't see any severe clipping or mismatch.

So, this is boggling my mind! Why two of the same NIF files? What am I missing?

The only reason I see to do that, is to keep some hairstyles exclusive to some races and create some roleplay distinction, but I had no problems on turning all hair available to all races on this mod I'm making. And I didn't need two duplicated files!
Also, my PC is mid-end, so there may be some clipping/mismatch that is tolerable on the quality I play, but becomes annoying on a High-End gameplay, could it be that?

I guess that's it. It's not really a problem, but I want to better understand the file structure here and keep my Skyrim folder clean! I'm almost developing OCD with this, lol!

Thanks!