Recommended Mods for an Oblivion Newbie? [2011]

PsalmLove

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great having such a helpful and active forum!

I am now looking at the nehrim conversion I had heard it was in German (I think that is just the voice acting) which is ok with me although my German is only B1 level (basic conversation). Can we download that here, not sure what I need to patch before that I will look into it now.

UL is a great source of CTDs and future incompatibilities, so it's best avoided.

Not true. There are compatibility patches galore for Unique Landscapes. The authors have been very careful to maintain compatibility amongst other mods. Otherwise UL would be totally useless, which it clearly isn't. Unique Landscapes can safely be used with hundreds upon hundreds of mods without conflict. People do this every day. Just look around at some LO's and you'll see folks with 300+ mods running UL without a hitch.

UL is a somewhat resource hungry mod due to all of the additions made in relatively small areas. If you're experiencing CTDs, and they cease when you remove UL, you're likely running out of resources. This is not a fault of the mod but more of a hardware limitation of that particular setup.

UL is a great source of CTDs and future incompatibilities, so it's best avoided.

Excuse me? There is no other mod that has this many compatibility fixes! 90 % of the landscape/house mods out there offer a UL fix and if none is available, it's in the mod discription! The CTDs you describe mostly happen when people run so many mods that they have no idea what is cluttering their ingame world map. So they just copy paste everything into the DATA folder without thinking about what they are doing and what the consequences could be. Bam, CTD, because oh god, there was the 111th housemod and now it conflicts with UL. These kind of things are not ULs fault, they are caused on the other end.

Edit: Whoops XD Didn't see the post before mine. Eh.

Yes, yes, any time something goes wrong with your favorite mods, it's either the user's hardware or the user's stupidity causing it. Heard it before, not impressed.

Sorry, but just because there are a bunch of hacked-up patches to try and make UL work with other mods, does not mean it actually works well. It is, in fact, incompatible with a large number of mods that place objects or alter landscape in the regions they touch. And largely due to the UL folks' disregard for other mods, they do things like delete objects rather than disable / relocate them, causing CTDs when other mods try to do things to those objects. UL is a giant mess that makes for pretty screenshots but is basically useless for a stable game.

well we were a bit off track there, but think I need to solve the problem now of having broken the inside part of my PC DVD-rom after installing all the first mods. I think maybe I just buy a new version with shivering isles etc. Then mod it? should I look for a particular version? My old disk was at least 4 years old and played a lot so I cant complain. The mods I have on my computer should be okk with a new instal I guess?

Sorry for the simpleton questions!

The only version you should avoid is Direct 2 Drive versions. They are not compatible with OBSE. This will limit your modding capabilities severely.

STEAM and any Retail disc version is fine and work exactly the same with all mods and utilities.

If you use Wrye Bash, and have the Steam version, I suggest getting the OBSE loader from this topic: Tweaked OBSE Loader

I never liked the way how the current loader works - in order for the Steam version to work, you have to have In-Game Community enabled. Now, the problem I see with this is that In-Game Community tends to eat memory and Oblivion is a game that needs a lot of it, so this version allows you to play the Steam version without some slowdown caused by In-Game community.

If you use Wrye Bash, and have the Steam version, I suggest getting the OBSE loader from this topic: Tweaked OBSE Loader

I never liked the way how the current loader works - in order for the Steam version to work, you have to have In-Game Community enabled. Now, the problem I see with this is that In-Game Community tends to eat memory and Oblivion is a game that needs a lot of it, so this version allows you to play the Steam version without some slowdown caused by In-Game community.

No, do not use that loader. Here's why.

--It's only useful if you want to launch the Construction Set with OBSE enabled functions. Otherwise the obse_steam_loader.dll handles all in-game OBSE functions.

--Next that archive hasn't been updated since 2009. The version of that loader is for OBSE v17.2. It's outdated. We're up to v20.3 right now and v20.4 is just around the corner.

So use the latest obse_loader.exe supplied in the most recent OBSE archives.

A quote from the OBSE ReadMe...

IF YOU ARE USING THE STEAM VERSION OF OBLIVION:

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_steam_loader.dll to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion".

2. Launch Oblivion via Steam or by running Oblivion.exe. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

As far as the Steam In-Game Community having high overhead, I've never noticed it with any STEAM game. I have around 40 STEAM games. STEAM is very efficient for what it does. Most systems will not suffer any performance drain from having it running in the background. Even if you did suffer some decrease in performance disabling one single feature of STEAM is not likely to change that, since STEAM still has to run in order for the games to work.