All Newbies Read This Before Posting

Switch

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly ?

it wont hurt if you write an article on how to become a contributing member

The problem is how best to utilize my time. I'm finding moderating on this site is sucking up quite a bit of my time and has made an impact on time spent modding.

But it's all about setting priorities...things at the bottom of a long list tend do not happen.

......ok.

thanks L.Hammond....

You know, this is what i was talking about when I said I felt like you were "talking down to me".

I mean geez man, gimme a break. No I didn't know how to use the quote function... should I? Is this mandatory for life??

You don't have to worry about moderating me anymore, I wont be back. All I've tried to do is be as polite and respectful as possible and in return I get talked to like I'm a cyber baby..

You know, if moderating is stressing you out to the point where you are unable to politely answer people's questions then maybe it's time to take a break.

If you ask me, maybe you should be issued a couple strikes yourself..

your friend,

-wheel

......ok.

thanks L.Hammond....

You know, this is what i was talking about when I said I felt like you were "talking down to me".

Well then you didn't discern the difference between "talking down" and "annoyed" :pinch: in my last reply regarding the 1st and last questions. I get the distinct impression that you are either unable to understand what is being said or you are simply trying to annoy. I've been leaning more and more towards the later but was initially assuming that English was not your native language...thus many of my plain-as-possibly-can-be answers to your questions since I cannot read your mind as to what you understand and do not...especially if answers to your questions were already covered in prior replies, the rules or google searches ("daft" "blanket terms" "ergo").

All I've tried to do is be as polite and respectful as possible and in return I get talked to like I'm a cyber baby.
Polite is not what got you into this mess and respectful would have meant no more replies in this thread after Dark0ne mentioned that further posting in the thread was not suggested.

If you ask me, maybe you should be issued a couple strikes yourself.
Maybe or should? Feel free to ask any of the other site moderators: Dark0ne, Buddah, Povuholo or Malchik. They are all quite impartial and tend to judge situations wisely so I will gladly take two strikes or whatever is deemed necessary...even the removal of moderator status. I won't question them or the rule interpretations or how things need to be changed to avoid the situation that forced me to screw up.

LHammonds

The terms and conditions and rules were looked over by myself recently and edits were made. If I had to note down a rule for every single action that might get a strike or ban in no uncertain terms then the ToC would be longer than my auto-biography and noone would read it. Ergo blanket terms are provided because 99% of people will know what the blanket terms do and don't entail. A final word on moderator disgression is added to cover the fact that people's own opinions might be different from ours -- but we're the ones who get the final say.

This isn't an issue. Your strikes were justified cause you were being daft. Strikes are warnings and should be taken as such. I suggest you simply leave this thread and go enjoy the forum (and try not to let that devil to take over your hands again).

......ok.

thanks L.Hammond....

I mean geez man, gimme a break. No I didn't know how to use the quote function... should I? Is this mandatory for life??

You don't have to worry about moderating me anymore, I wont be back. All I've tried to do is be as polite and respectful as possible and in return I get talked to like I'm a cyber baby..

You know, if moderating is stressing you out to the point where you are unable to politely answer people's questions then maybe it's time to take a break.

If you ask me, maybe you should be issued a couple strikes yourself..

your friend,

-wheel

As Dark0ne stated above your strikes were justified, that is the end of it. Dark0ne reviews all strikes and banings and if a moderator acts in a draconian manner he will overrule that moderator. Yes, I have been overridden as I see things in black and white, no gray area as this is my nature.

Ignorance of what you agreed to when you joined this site is no excuse as it was your choice to pass by the rules and terms to get to what you wanted.

Your continued attempts to draw others into an argumentative confrontation are counter productive and have accomplished nothing other than causing stress.

The moderators here serve at the pleasure of Dark0ne, are unpaid and do so because we want to, in my case it is a way of giving back to a community that I dearly love. Neither myself or LHammonds asked to be moderators, Dark0ne asked us to serve in this capacity.

I speak for myself and myself alone on this, I enforce the rules evenly to everybody. There is no emotion involved, you break them by choice, I however dole out the repercussions without any malice as that is the duty of a moderator on any site. I get no pleasure or satisfaction out of it, none and personally find it distasteful and the least favorite part of being a moderator.

It ends now, one more word from you on this subject or in this thread, will be the last act you have on this site.

This is not a threat only a statement of fact.

Buddah

honestly ?

it wont hurt if you write an article on how to become a contributing member

I'd be half tempted to do it myself, but don't think that it would accomplish much to that end. The problem is that being a contributing member doesn't mean that you aren't also disruptive member. And in order to contribute, the person normally needs some sort of background or knowledge about what it being talked about or asked. Forgive me for being pesimistic, but if people had anything intelligent to add to a conversation, they would have already done so. Essentially, the requirements of being a contributing member are following the rules which are posted on the first post of this thread, and in having some idea what others talking about. Hence the problem. There's already a nice listing of the forum's rules, listed plain as day. And knowledge is gained not from talking, but from taking the time to read and understand.

Afterall, people don't get banned because they're just sitting around doing nothing. People get banned because they choose to be disruptive, and not considder their actions before hitting "Add Reply".

Wheel83 says he has gone and if so he won't see this.

As he points out in one of his posts it is impossible to read 'a tone' into a written reply and any assumptions we make are no more than assumptions.

All one can do is say 'you are misreading my intention'. If the recipient refuses to let that go there's not much to be done about it. Whether they genuinely don't believe you or just keep posting for a need to have the last word the arguement is invariably circular. Dark0ne requested Wheel83 to drop the matter. He ignored the request.

Just one of those things.

• 2 months later...
New chapter added which clarifies our position on multiple accounts (e.g. not allowed)

It has been noted before in places like this but I think it is best to have it listed here as a preventative measure.

LHammonds

Hmmmm.... If I recall correctly, I once made another account here, only because I wanted a name change at that time. If the account has no bad comments made from it, then is it okay? I was actually thinking of giving this "other" account to my friend, because he was having trouble registering here on The Nexus.

Now, I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just curious.

If the account has no bad comments made from it, then is it okay?
The only exceptions have been made clear. This isn't one of them. If you create a new account, the other one needs to go away.

I was actually thinking of giving this "other" account to my friend, because he was having trouble registering here on The Nexus.
Still not an acceptable use. If this person cannot validate their account, they can use the contact form to send us their information (ID, email) so we can manually confirm the email address and validate the account. Most all other problems trying to access TESNexus has already been documented with solutions in this forum.

LHammonds