All Newbies Read This Before Posting

Switch

Do we have any rules concerning voting/rating mods? If we do, can you point me to it? Otherwise, I think there should be some kind of rule stating that for one, don't vote without a relative reason like this:

"I have given this file a rating of 9

great mod. works beautifully. "

I mean, according to this post, the mod is apparently flawless but they just felt like giving it a 9. I guess they assume they won't like something later? It would be nice to know what makes the mod fall short of a 10. Otherwise, without the knowledge, the author can't do anything about it like fix or improve the mod. In other words, no random ratings. Also, the reason should be more specific than, "It could be better.".

Another rule should be that one can't vote down on a mod if they're not even sure of the source of the problem (the mod or themselves) like:

"I have given this file a rating of 8

great mod. although i am have a problem... at least i think... i got to the part when she says she doesn't want to be left alone and you sit with her... but now its been 8 in-game days and she doesn't say anything other than the 5 other options you have for her... am i having a problem or am i just not waiting long enough?"

Had he asked the question before rating, he of known the answer before rating. In this particular case, all he had to do was sleep. That's equivalent to if a game reviewers had not made Oblivion "Game of the Year" because at first, they couldn't figure out that they needed to pull a Sigil stone in order to close an Oblivion gate. Or calling a game like Prince of Persia crap before getting help on some of the more difficult puzzles when they couldn't figure them out. I could go on with examples for ever, but I'm sure everyone gets my point.

Furthermore, I think another good rule is what Angelus47 said, "This mod deserves a 10 because it does exactly what is described in the read me. The ratings are supposed to reflect how well the mod functions and fulfills it's designer's stated purpose. Personal tastes and preferences are not part of it."

I don't see how ratings like these are justified but I don't want to report them because I don't know if it would be considered abusing the report feature since there are no rules about it. (That I can find anyways). Let me know either way. Thanks.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is pointless at this point. The rating system will be turned into a thumbs up system like the Image Share in the near future.

The rating system put in place was functional but certain members decided to use it to abuse others...which prompted this change to a thumbs up-only approach.

LHammonds

"I have given this file a rating of 8

great mod. although i am have a problem... at least i think... i got to the part when she says she doesn't want to be left alone and you sit with her... but now its been 8 in-game days and she doesn't say anything other than the 5 other options you have for her... am i having a problem or am i just not waiting long enough?"

Had he asked the question before rating, he of known the answer before rating. In this particular case, all he had to do was sleep. That's equivalent to if a game reviewers had not made Oblivion "Game of the Year" because at first, they couldn't figure out that they needed to pull a Sigil stone in order to close an Oblivion gate. Or calling a game like Prince of Persia crap before getting help on some of the more difficult puzzles when they couldn't figure them out. I could go on with examples for ever, but I'm sure everyone gets my point.

I disagree with you on this point. I'm not arguing your dislike of the number rating system (which would be, as the above post says pointless. But I think that the comment given is at least a form of constructive criticism. Perhaps instead of wondering why the person gave the mod an 8, one could say, "why is this person having trouble figuring out what to do in my mod" ==> "maybe I should change the NPC to tell the player that he/she and the npc need some rest?". That being said I do agree with you on your other points and I am glad that the rating system is being reformed.

• 1 month later...

Maybe it should be a Thumps Up, and a Double Thumbs up. So you can still seperate the good from the great. And the only thing you can do is remove your previous thumbs by Thumbs Down, Double Thumbs down, which two options are not even visible unless you have given an up.

I believe there should still be the ability to rate saying a mod is good, and a way to say a mod is great. The double thumbs IMO would be good. It would still prevent abuse, but allow for a differed rating for different mods that deserve good rating and great ratings.

I have one small question: Is there a way to put picture in your respons without uploading it on image share web-sites?
This is the Internet and you have to have it uploaded somewhere for others to see it. If you have a "Browse / UPLOAD" button under your post when editing, then you can upload an image there and then click the "Manage Current Attachments" to insert it into your text where you'd like it placed. Otherwise, no.

Attachment Example:

There is a list of all known FREE image sharing sites at the bottom of this list: List of Online Hosting Sites. You could use the Nexus Image Share but that is typically reserved for game- or site-related images. e.g. You wouldn't want to start dumping request pictures in there from other games or real-life. My all-time favorite site for images is PhotoBucket.com

If you have a URL to an image, you can have it directly show up in the post by surrounding it with IMG tags.

[img=http://www.tesnexus.com/imageshare/images/128909-1237129500.jpg]

Result:

http://www.tesnexus.com/imageshare/images/128909-1237129500.jpg

If you want to post links to images, surround the URL with the URL tag.

[url=http://www.tesnexus.com/imageshare/images/128909-1237129500.jpg]Nexus Troll[/url]

Result:

Nexus Troll

• 2 months later...

A few more buttons and a couple of drop downs, and other features that a moderator requires, I will post a pic in a few.

http://tesnexus.com/imageshare/images/49282-1253213668.GIF

This is what I see !