How to get an event script/ cc+?

Hello,

here I am. Trying hard to learn how to mod. I've started with a tutorial how to make just an item. I've learned that there a four steps with the tool-set:

I. Creating a NEW MODUL - done/ no problem -

II. Creating the NEW ITEM itself - done/ no problem -

III. Using an EVENT SCRIPT - BIG PROBLEM!!! -

(IIII. EXPORT- not done, but seems to be no problem either -)

So concerning the third step...

a) ... the first tutorial says there would be newer and better ways to do it and it told me not to take its old version for public use.

b) At least two other tutorials about making an item say something about being carefull with the script 'not to break the game'!!!

Here are my questions:

1. Is there any other 'instant' master script (concerning an item) to use for public use?

2. Or do I have to learn first cc+ on myself before modding anything at all?

3. What about the danger of breaking the game?

1. No

2. No

3. The main dangers associated with breaking the game are if you make changes to Core resources (adding an item, if that is all you are doing, does not change Core resources) without fulling understanding all of the ramifications of your change. I can speak for HOURS on this subject so I will spare you the long version :wink:

I uploaded a B2B for Camp Storage. You don't need ALL of the scripts but adding a new storage chest to Camp and placing your item in one of the chests is an easy place to start:

http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/4245/?

There are places that I would have made it more efficient, but it doesn't break anything. It doesn't create any new items, but if you put your item into a storage chest, it is a good place to start.

Or you can use one of the examples:

http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/PRCSCR_Script_Templates It doesn't have EVERYTHING, but it is also a good starting point.

If you ask specific questions about error messages that you are getting, there are a few people that still hang out here that may be able to help you.

1. No

2. No

3. The main dangers associated with breaking the game are if you make changes to Core resources (adding an item, if that is all you are doing, does not change Core resources) without fulling understanding all of the ramifications of your change. I can speak for HOURS on this subject so I will spare you the long version :wink:

I uploaded a B2B for Camp Storage. You don't need ALL of the scripts but adding a new storage chest to Camp and placing your item in one of the chests is an easy place to start:

http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/4245/?

There are places that I would have made it more efficient, but it doesn't break anything. It doesn't create any new items, but if you put your item into a storage chest, it is a good place to start.

Or you can use one of the examples:

http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/PRCSCR_Script_Templates It doesn't have EVERYTHING, but it is also a good starting point.

If you ask specific questions about error messages that you are getting, there are a few people that still hang out here that may be able to help you.

Thank you very much for your advices.

1. Camp storage:

a) How to install? (DAUpdater or Override?)

b) Compatibel with the Sleeping tent?

c) I've only found four files by extracting the ZIP

aa) image of the chests (.jpg) - no script -

bb) second image of some chests (.jpg) - no script -

cc) MerStorage v1.datbdata

dd) PRCSCR_mer_storage.GDA

How do I open cc) and dd)? (It works with the simple Editor (WordPad), but dd) is very short and cc) looks like chinese.)

2. "Adding an Item to an existing Vendor or Container":

I guess the only way for me would be to 'give' it to Bodhan. Should I?

a) If you have downloaded the B2B file, you'll have to read the toolset wiki for more detail, but simply put. You use the toolset to install. Using the Tools>Builder>Builder To Builder Load I suggest loading it into a module that you have created.

b) Yes. As far as I know

c) That is correct.

to open the gda file you use http://social.bioware.com/project/755/

the B2B file is just xml as far as I know. However, it is a lot of xml and not easy to read if you don't know xml.

2. Based on your questions to part 1. No, I don't think you should start giving items to Bodhan. You don't want to accidentally mess up your merchant while you are still learning about gda files!

a) If you have downloaded the B2B file, you'll have to read the toolset wiki for more detail, but simply put. You use the toolset to install. Using the Tools>Builder>Builder To Builder Load I suggest loading it into a module that you have created.

b) Yes. As far as I know

c) That is correct.

to open the gda file you use http://social.bioware.com/project/755/

the B2B file is just xml as far as I know. However, it is a lot of xml and not easy to read if you don't know xml.

2. Based on your questions to part 1. No, I don't think you should start giving items to Bodhan. You don't want to accidentally mess up your merchant while you are still learning about gda files!

1. a) I only have created a module about a new item. Should I load the PRCSCR_mer_storage.GDA into that?

I'have downloaded the GDApp Editor (only to my PC) (and had a look in the EXCEL version (and I know a little bit about EXCEL)). This PRCSR_mer_storage.GDA is very short and I have no idea what to do with. By the way I don't know XML, but I know HTML (I even teached HTML years ago). Looking for XML in Wikipedia I saw it looks similar to HTML. So there is still hope for me to understand...

I won't have time to answer until this evening (although someone else can chime in). But I will ask - what other programming languages do you know?

XML is a way of presenting data. XML can be used as the data/input for code generation software or it can be 'data' that describes a person or data that describes just about anything else. I can 'read' XML, but XML is not a coding language so being able to read XML is not necessary for writing mods.

I'll write more tonight (if necessary)

The logic of html won't help you very much with learning the coding logic behind writing mods that require scripting :sad: The toolset wiki expects that you already know how to program so they don't explain terms like compile, function, procedure, 'pass by reference', 'pass by value', etc. html doesn't have those concepts.

The willingness to put the effort into learning html will help. :smile: You put in the effort to learn html well enough to train others then it is likely that you are capable of learning to use the toolset to mod.

To get your item added, there are two ways (there are more, I'm going to discuss two of them) to get the script to run.

1. In the Manage Module, select the script name by Manage Module>Hierarchy>Script (4th line from top, select the name of your script). This will cause the script to run EVERY TIME there is an 'event'. Looking at the list of EVENTs in the toolset wiki, that means that this will cause the mod to be run a lot. Even if the item has already been added, the script is going to run long enough to identify that the item has already been delivered to the GW. Lag/CTD are basically the result if several mods are installed that all use this logic. One or two mods aren't going to hurt anything, but I had 20+ mods installed that added equipment that used this logic! :ohmy: I had lag (LOTS of LAG) and Crashes to Disk until I removed them all. :down:
Pro: Easy (relatively speaking)
Con: Possible Lag, CTD

I used this method when I started modding. It isn't wrong, it just isn't as efficient as some alternatives.

2. PRCSCR_ file. The prcscr_ file causes the script/code/program to run once (and only once) each time the GW enters and area list (many area lists consist of only one area). The prcscr_ file will be accessed each time an area list is entered to determine if there is anything to run. But the point is that even the prcscr_ file is only being accessed once for each area list.
Pro: Easy, only runs once when entering an area list ("_any" is considered an area if it needs to be run in multiple locations.
Con: More to learn (GDApp)

I know that English isn't your first language so I apologize for typing such long messages. :blush: Feel free to ask for me to reword a response if it isn't clear. :geek:

You're right - English only is my second language.

I've got two questions:

I. What does the abbreviation "GW" mean?

II. I'm not shure about your phrase: "_any" is considered an area (Would have thought "is considered 'as' something"), neither grammatic nor context.

Concerning the two refered ways I prefer the second one. I don't want a crash or even lots of lags. So I wish to learn GDApp.