CPU maxes out while playing new vegas

Ok im fixing to un install all my mods and try this again but it was working fine last night and i installed to mods this morning and now my cpu usage goes to 90+ untill the game freezes and i force close it and i uninstalled the mods from this morning and its doing it still. any help would be much appreciated Also did not know what forum to post this under feel free to move it mods

I gotchu son: http://www.mediafire.com/view/61b60nmv1d1jma2/FalloutPrefs.ini

I don't remember which mod page this came from but it should cut your cpu usage in half, just copy and paste it into your My Games/FalloutNV folder and replace it.

Edit: iNumHWThreads will default at 4 in the ini file, if you don't have at least a 4-core CPU then you're gonna want to change that value.

Edited by Closertothesun

Cut his cpu usage in half? What are you on about, that's not how things work!

Ok im fixing to un install all my mods and try this again but it was working fine last night and i installed to mods this morning and now my cpu usage goes to 90+ untill the game freezes and i force close it and i uninstalled the mods from this morning and its doing it still. any help would be much appreciated Also did not know what forum to post this under feel free to move it mods

Here, get this. Also, would be of great use if you'd post what components your PC has, maybe it's just too old/weak to handle F:NV requirements.

Cut his cpu usage in half? What are you on about, that's not how things work!

Here, get this. Also, would be of great use if you'd post what components your PC has, maybe it's just too old/weak to handle F:NV requirements.

http://news.techgenie.com/files/cpu-usage.jpg

See that little bar that says cpu usage? using the FalloutPrefs ini i provided it should go from 99% on down to 48%, 62% MAYBE. This is how things work.

Freaking dingus.

1. Don't insult people randomly, this is not your backyard.

2. Nobody should ever slap some random ini files taken "as is".

3. Your .ini file brings almost no changes, and where it brings changes, they're bad.

So, let's have a little examination of your file.

bMultiThreadMovement=1
bMTRendering=1
fMasterFilePreLoadMB=500.0000

Either don't exist as settings in this engine, or do nothing.

uInterior Cell Buffer=48
uExterior Cell Buffer=576

Did you change your uGrids to match this? I don't see that, and you shouldn't mess with those anyways if you don't know what they do.

bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseThreadedMeshes=1
bUseThreadedLOD=1
bUseThreadedTextures=1

Every one of these settings is placebo and does nothing. This has been proven by Queued, the author of NVAC.

bUseThreadedAI=1

This setting actually does something, and coincides with iNumHWThreads , which I'll note doesn't do anything beyond the setting of 2 since there was no quad cores when the game engine was made (2004-2006).

iPreloadSizeLimit=4194304000

This setting is for the BIK video playback buffer, changing this value does nothing for game performance and can actually cause instability when playing the various game videos.

uGridDistantTreeRangeCity=4

New Vegas doesn't use Tree LOD, it uses ObjectLOD.

bFloatPointRenderTarget=1
bAccurateRenderTarget=1

No such game, ini, undocumented setting for these, did you get them from Skyrim?

bUseWaterHiRes=0
bUseWaterDisplacements=0

Yes disabling these will increase performance, it available through the game launcher options, same as you've turned MSAA off

iNumHavokThreads=4

Another placebo setting

bUseBackgroundFileLoader=1
bBackgroundLoadLipFiles=1
bLoadBackgroundFaceGen=1

bCloneModelsInBackground=1

using the background file loader causes stuttering for most people. The remaining three options are again, placebo and have no effect.

bDisplayLODTrees=1

Again, New Vegas uses Object LOD not Tree LOD

bDecalMultithreaded=1

Placebo again.

Now for the stuff which other people aren't going to have the same, and why you don't go using other peoples pref files.

SArchiveList=Fallout - AII-FNV!.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Textures2.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices1.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa,  Fallout - Misc.bsa

I'm sure people who don't use the same ArchiveInvalidation method would have a hard time tracking this down if they didn't know how it works.

[Fonts]
;sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_14.fnt
;sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_16.fnt
sFontFile_3=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt
;sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_VeryLarge02_Dialogs2.fnt
sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_10.fnt
sFontFile_5=Textures\Fonts\Fixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt
;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt
sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt
;sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\Baked-in_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Libel_Suit_Otl_24.fnt
sFontFile_8=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Futura_Caps_Large.fnt
sFontFile_9=Textures\Fonts\NVFont_Test.fnt

I'm sure people who don't use DarNified UI will enjoy not having any menus or UI.

sD3DDevice="AMD Radeon R9 200 Series"
sAPI=D3D11
sAPI=D3D10

I'm sure people who don't have radeon cards will enjoy having the game crash. Also, the game supports only DirectX 8 and 9.

Summary.

The only settings that affect performance are:

iNumHWThreads=4 (should be 2)
bUseThreadedAI=1
bUseWaterHiRes=0
bUseWaterDisplacements=0

Also calling people a "freaking dingus" when you obviously don't know what you're talking about is real classy.

Edited by RoyBatterian

So, let's have a little examination of your file.

bMultiThreadMovement=1
bMTRendering=1
fMasterFilePreLoadMB=500.0000

Either don't exist as settings in this engine, or do nothing.

uInterior Cell Buffer=48
uExterior Cell Buffer=576

Did you change your uGrids to match this? I don't see that, and you shouldn't mess with those anyways if you don't know what they do.

bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseThreadedMeshes=1
bUseThreadedLOD=1
bUseThreadedTextures=1

Every one of these settings is placebo and does nothing. This has been proven by Queued, the author of NVAC.

bUseThreadedAI=1

This setting actually does something, and coincides with iNumHWThreads , which I'll note doesn't do anything beyond the setting of 2 since there was no quad cores when the game engine was made (2004-2006).

iPreloadSizeLimit=4194304000

This setting is for the BIK video playback buffer, changing this value does nothing for game performance and can actually cause instability when playing the various game videos.

uGridDistantTreeRangeCity=4

New Vegas doesn't use Tree LOD, it uses ObjectLOD.

bFloatPointRenderTarget=1
bAccurateRenderTarget=1

No such game, ini, undocumented setting for these, did you get them from Skyrim?

bUseWaterHiRes=0
bUseWaterDisplacements=0

Yes disabling these will increase performance, it available through the game launcher options, same as you've turned MSAA off

iNumHavokThreads=4

Another placebo setting

bUseBackgroundFileLoader=1
bBackgroundLoadLipFiles=1
bLoadBackgroundFaceGen=1

bCloneModelsInBackground=1

using the background file loader causes stuttering for most people. The remaining three options are again, placebo and have no effect.

bDisplayLODTrees=1

Again, New Vegas uses Object LOD not Tree LOD

bDecalMultithreaded=1

Placebo again.

Now for the stuff which other people aren't going to have the same, and why you don't go using other peoples pref files.

SArchiveList=Fallout - AII-FNV!.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Textures2.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices1.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa,  Fallout - Misc.bsa

I'm sure people who don't use the same ArchiveInvalidation method would have a hard time tracking this down if they didn't know how it works.

[Fonts]
;sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_14.fnt
;sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_16.fnt
sFontFile_3=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt
;sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_VeryLarge02_Dialogs2.fnt
sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_10.fnt
sFontFile_5=Textures\Fonts\Fixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt
;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt
sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt
;sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\Baked-in_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Libel_Suit_Otl_24.fnt
sFontFile_8=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Futura_Caps_Large.fnt
sFontFile_9=Textures\Fonts\NVFont_Test.fnt

I'm sure people who don't use DarNified UI will enjoy not having any menus or UI.

sD3DDevice="AMD Radeon R9 200 Series"
sAPI=D3D11
sAPI=D3D10

I'm sure people who don't have radeon cards will enjoy having the game crash. Also, the game supports only DirectX 8 and 9.

Summary.

The only settings that affect performance are:

iNumHWThreads=4 (should be 2)
bUseThreadedAI=1
bUseWaterHiRes=0
bUseWaterDisplacements=0

Also calling people a "freaking dingus" when you obviously don't know what you're talking about is real classy.

1. I thought it was hilarious that you actually took time out of your day to analyze this, as if to prove something to me, as I was not the one who even made it.

2. Thanks for doing that, why don't you go ahead and rewrite the file then?

3. Anyways, I ran my game with this file and my CPU counter was brought down by almost half, just trying to help.

4. I stand by my "freaking dingus" comment, luls were had.