Fallout 1 & 2 Style Lockpicks

Kainschilde209

I hate the lockpick minigame. In the original games it was just a skill challenge similar to a speech check, and you could improve your chances with a lockpick set that increased your skill a bit similar to armor buffs. They came in 2 levels and 2 types: Lockpicks, 20% skill boost; Expanded Lockpicks, 40% boost; Electronic Lockpick, 20% boost, required for powered doors; Electronic Lockpick Mk II, 40% boost, required for powered doors and security systems.

Fallout Wiki Entries

Lockpick: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Lock_picks

Expanded Lockpick: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Expanded_lock_pick_set

Electronic Lockpick: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Electronic_lock_pick

Electronic Lockpick Mk II: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Electronic_lock_pick_Mk_II

What I would like to see is actually kinda like a weapon that you could point at locked objects. Firing the "weapon" forces the lock with your lockpick+weapon skill boost chance of opening the lock. It'd work similar to the Sonic Screwdriver from Fallout Who Vegas, but with the skill limitation instead of being a universal key for everything.

Thank you for your time.

Electronic lockpicks were not used to pick locks tho, they could only be used to open electronically powered doors by hacking into them. And in both fallout 1 and 2 the electronic lockpicks had so little purpose and could only be used on a handful of doors in the game anyway, most of which were in dungeons whose doors could be blown up or hacked with science anyways

Edited by TheBlob2

I provided the info from the first games (with wiki links for full information) for context and history. The lockpick mechanic is completely different in FO3 and NV, so the exact functionality of the classic items isn't really relevant except as a starting point. I was actually kinda thinking the lockpicks would be just for locks, while the electronic lockpicks could also/just hack computers.

If you just want a pure skill check, try Immersive Minigames. It bypasses the minigames (name slightly misleading) by allowing you to use a gamemode skill check that factors in luck and character skill only to unlock things. It also has the nice effect of 'unleveling' locks and terminals, allowing any level character the chance to attempt to unlock any level thing, kind of like Skyrim.

If you just want a pure skill check, try Immersive Minigames. It bypasses the minigames (name slightly misleading) by allowing you to use a gamemode skill check that factors in luck and character skill only to unlock things. It also has the nice effect of 'unleveling' locks and terminals, allowing any level character the chance to attempt to unlock any level thing, kind of like Skyrim.

I hate it when people advertise their own mods even though its not even what the request was about in the first place

I hate it when people advertise their own mods even though its not even what the request was about in the first place

Not really a fair comment. Gribbleshnibit8 isn't a self promoter, his mod does bypass the mini game, and he's done and continues to do a lot for the community by helping modders and end users.

I hate it when the OP (in this case me) expresses appreciation for a suggestion

Thank you for the suggestion, Gribbleschnibit8. It's not quite what I was looking for, but the closest I'm ever gonna get until I learn how to do it myself.

​and someone takes it upon themselves to attack the suggestion as irrelevant.

Edited by Kainschilde209

• 3 years later...

Electronic lockpick would be so cool and would make so much more sense than lockpicking an electronic door that doesn't even have a lock with a bobby pin. Setting all electronic locked doors in the game to show the hacking minigame on activation, but only if you have an electronic lockpick, or you could equip it as a weapon and "fire" at a electronic locked door then showing the hacking minigame.. idk... to create it's model you could rip off the little screen from Mercy and put a electronic scrap metal behind it and done. In the first two games the electronic lockpicks weren't useful as it should I guess, but in New Vegas there are a lot of electronic locked doors.. it would be amazing if someone did something like that. Just imagine playing with it.