Meat mine

Bernt

I found a weapon called "Meat Mine" among the OWB files. It was cut from the game before release but I can find it - and add it- via GECK or console.

Likewise I can find it using FNVEdit.

But - I want to find the .nif file and unpacked the OWB bsa. However it is nowhere to be found. Then I tried unpacking the FNV bsa - still no luck.

Looking in the GECK I get as follows:

Editor ID: NVDLC03WeapMeatMine

Model is: Clutter\food\strak01.nif

1stperson model object: NVDLC031stPersonMeatMine

Projectile: NVDLC03MineMeat

My problem is that it only explodes when shot at. Not - as a frag mine- using a proximity fuse as well. NightHawk suggested I opened it in Nifscope to figure out the differences between the FragMine and the MeatMine.

But that is impossible when I cannot even FIND the .nif file!

I am by now out of ideas. So any ideas as to what to do will be most welcome.

I DID try to change the projectile to "MineFragProjectile". Worked fine except that when thrown it looks like a frag mine - oddly enough!!

This is a somewhat strange case, and after a brief investigation of my own, I've come to a few conclusions.

1. The meat mine was intended for use in the Gabe fight (package ID: NVDLC03X8GabeMeatFindPackage)

2. The .nif seems to straight up not exist. It's likely the model was deleted before the DLC was released.

3. The mine, in the GECK, has the model of a regular slice of meat.

It's likely that the meat mine was likely intended to be used solely for the Gabe fight and was never a "real" weapon. If you really want to faithfully recreate it, your best bet is just to use the .nif file from one of the other meat items (Bighorner, Mole Rat, Brahmin, etc.) and go from there.

As for your "MineFragProjectile" incident: mines have two models, their "in-hand" model and their "thrown" model. The in-hand model is chosen through the normal weapon editing menu while the thrown model is chosen through the projectile menu. By choosing the "MineFragProjectile" projectile, you changed the mine's thrown model to the frag mine's thrown model. If you want to change that, just find the "MineFragProjectile" in the GECK, give it a unique ID, change its model, then set the meat mine's thrown projectile to your new projectile.

Hey Bernt, more stuff for Steve, eh?

I haven't looked at the Geck form for the meat mine, but are you sure it's called "strak01"? because there is a steak01.nif located in the same folder which seems like the model they would use. The first person model however, does indeed not exist. As for the functionality of it, I might be able to look into that, not sure though since I've never worked with mines before.

Edit: Alright so after exporting a modified version of the steak - though I'm not sure if I even needed to - I worked off the vanilla Frag Mine, I just changed 1st person model to none, and made a new projectile with the same mesh as Testudini suggested. For the most part it works, it will explode when an enemy walks near it but the only bug I see is that it teleports a few feet upwards after it "sets". No idea why.

Edited by ArekkusuStorm

@Testudini: Thank you. That gave me something to start on. I was going to make it a stand-alone mod anyway. Might as well start from scracth then.

@ArekkusuStorm: Nah - I'd like to upload it as a separate mod. Might as well give it to Steve afterwards :smile: "strak01" :facepalm: I should be more careful about typos before I post anything! It is indeed "steak.01". Anyway - I think I'll start from scratch by copying the frag mine and then giving it a new model - if I can figure out how to. This is new territory to me. If I can't I'll be sure to yell for help :smile:

On another note: My mind is wandering off on holiday. On June 2 we're off on a 3 week trip. The thought of that is a bit distracting at times :whistling:

Closing this thread. Thank you Testudini and Arekkusustorm for your help. I've figured it out now :smile: