importing a kf

Nadimos

Typo. I ment .kf not .nif the .nif was fine from the beginning. Well i will download the skeleton again and see how it goes.

Thanks Baduk.

Tut, wait a sec, there you go. http://www.fallout3nexus.com/articles/article.php?id=244

Basicly this is where i started from. And also thanks to you of course.

Downloaded the skeleton from nexus and checked for bone rotations in it. Bip01 @ 0,0,0 and Bip01NonAccum@ 0,0,90(z)

Might this be the problem or is it correct, probably correct, yes?

So i make a rough pos, moving the non accum down to 0 from around 6,6z on its original position.

*i, locrot*

Now the feet are standing firmly on the ground and i move around some bones, making sure not to touch the bip01 nor the nonaccum z rotation.

*a, select all bones, export*

*kf updater*

Bip01 shows euler r -38 !

It is 0 in blender.

Nonaccum shows r 6.5 !

Is it like random export throwing in some numbers?

Well, anyway, i just want this working.

Now we are here again:

(7b) - Fix the 90° Problem "easy": In-game your character will (almost) always turn to the side, in most cases 90° to its right. This can't be fixed with Blender, but with NifSkope. In most cases its enough to

* change BIP01 Rotation (Euler R) to 0

* change BIP01 NonAccum Rotation

o to 90, if BIP01 NonAccum Rotation is 0 in the original file

[/Quote]

Ok, so i try this. Changing Bip01 Euler R to 0.

And making this a SpecialIdle and changing the keyend frame from 9.967 to 999, so it does not jump out the static position it is being given to quickly.

*geck work*

*game*

And?

1) It is to low in the ground and (still) rotated by 90 degrees.

2) If i hit tab in blender, then it kinda shows the position in game (standing upright, rotated 90 degree to the right)

with a minor diffrence, that one leg is raised even

tho i did lock the rot a few times,

having all bones selected, to save my progress and also saved the blend file.

Apparently it somehow did not save it.

Conclusion: This looks like a mix ingame from the tab in blender that is rotated 90 degree to the right and the *not tab* where the leg is raised a bit.

Who can help me on that?

I am gonna test this now again without changing the bip01 in the .kf and leaving it as is.

Lets see.

*export from current blender file*

*kf updater*

The bones in the controller block have all the diffrent numbers again. Aha.

Bip01 is numbered 65 now, but that is the NiTextKeyExtraData.

Last time it was numbered 41.

What a software.

Anyway, i am gonna test this real quick.

Nothing plays.

I had this once. No idea what it is.

I try again.

Btw i wonder if i have to open the geck each time.... would simply replacing the .kf not do the job, too,?

Thanks.

*blender*

Wether i change the nonaccum Z location to 100 or -100 in edit mode, if i hit tab

the body shows standing on the floor (z0), while being rotated 90 degree to the right from the top-down orthographic view.

Does this matter? What is it that gets exported here?

Do i have to change this? Does it even play a role?

Or is it hitting tab here, will screw it up royally in the end?

I have no idea.

“Note: This is a good time to tell you that if you want your exports to be faster, you can delete the body by going into “Object mode” and selecting the parts you want to delete and deleting them by, well, hitting delete. Just make sure not to delete the skeleton as that is where the animation is stored, and also make sure the skeleton is selected before exporting.”

[/Quote]

Well i just did that, but the new test animation does not play anymore. Could this be, because it is an object pose? So in that case maybe you need the .nif loaded in blend and then export the kf all bones selected as is did before or did something else change? I am having an eye on things, so no idea what is diffrent otherwise.

Wherein lies the error? Does this make a diffrence, if the .nif of the object from the object pos is loaded in blender or not?

What gets exported and what not?

I would hate to have wasted my time with this.

Edited by Nadimos

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should i make a new topic with this about object poses and getting it to work ingame?

I want to get it to work and then put it out there onto the wiki.

Poeple who can do all this apprently dont care so apparently i have to do it.

What better person then an idiot to write and idiot guide,right.

;D

Still i would appreciate some help in this.

Gotta get this to work.

Edited by Nadimos

Now it's seems all screwed up. I sure have problems understanding all, because I don't know what kfupdater is doing. On the other hand I wished you were going according to coronerra's tut it sure would be easier, because it's a more detailed advice.

So there are some remarks:

Don't move the skeleton down. 6.7 above ground is what each anim needs not to sink in to the waist. Why it appears high above is unknown to me. I had the same problem twice after new install, but it works after I change the import options like in the pic (although I don't know if it's the reason because I tried but can't change it back any more)

Bip01 R -38 (changet by kf updater?) is stupid (in Oblivion). So I have no idea what this does. But you neither said that you changed NonAccum to 90 nor Cycle type to Cycle_loop.

In Blender hitting tab: you switch modes and by that the view of the object. Dont get confused. AND DONT CHANGE BIP01 or NonAccum BECAUSE OF THAT!!!! Change the view by using the number keys on the right of the keyboard.

What do you mean by "Test Animation playing no more". More than a pose?

Maybe it's easier you send me your kf and I tell you what's wrong.

Thank you so much, i think i got most of the remarks covered now.

I thought, i am just gonna post some screens.

This is the original file from the fallout nexus opened in blender, that i do my animation with, without any alteration.

I hope the the location of the nonaccum can be seen. I do not rotate it, nor do i touch the bip01.

http://www.ukimagehost.com/view/50ab18b08435d000.jpg

And this is what i want to do with it. The furniture is acting only as a reference.

http://www.ukimagehost.com/view/50ab18b085e8ea17.jpg

What now?

Do i put the nonaccum higher and by what amount?

Or do i finalise height and rotation, if necessary, in nifskope?

And another question regarding the workflow. Can i just replace my old .kf in the folder and then load the game again to see the changes or is it necessary to open the geck first? Thanks!

Edited by Nadimos

Now I see a few things which confuse you.

1st: the character is above the ground. I don't know where it comes from, maybe the export options. MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS (LHammond?)

(I have attached this pic to my last post, but apparently it was simply swallowed)

blenderimport.jpg

Anyway: after import BIP01 z loc should be about -6.741, NonAccum z loc around 6.3 (to be slightly above the ground). If import doesn't do that for you, you have to do it.

2nd: you seem to believe that you have to use rotation in order to place your character. That is wrong. Animation /Poses have to work in every direction. If you want the pose go into a specific direction, you have to do it in-game: via CS script or console (command "Setangle z nnn"). So no need to change rotation in NifSkope or Blender.

And finally: I don't know the purpose of Geck. In Oblivion you simply put the .kf file into meshes\characters\_male\idleanims.

I hope that brings you a step further.

Now I see a few things which confuse you.

1st: the character is above the ground. I don't know where it comes from, maybe the export options. MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS (LHammond?)

(I have attached this pic to my last post, but apparently it was simply swallowed)

blenderimport.jpg

Anyway: after import BIP01 z loc should be about -6.741, NonAccum z loc around 6.3 (to be slightly above the ground). If import doesn't do that for you, you have to do it.

This is, if i import the skeleton.nif from fallout new vegas.

http://www.ukimagehost.com/view/50ab18b0ab97bf33.jpg

I put a cube in there so you can see the height. 13 ish something.

2nd: you seem to believe that you have to use rotation in order to place your character. That is wrong. Animation /Poses have to work in every direction. If you want the pose go into a specific direction, you have to do it in-game: via CS script or console (command "Setangle z nnn"). So no need to change rotation in NifSkope or Blender.

Thanks, I did not know about the command before. Could try that as a temporary workaround, i guess.

Btw in the tutorial of fo3nexus the body is on the ground in blender and nothing else mentioned, so im quite bestranged.

Export settings and everything is correct.

Anyone who can help with this?

Edited by Nadimos

Check Bip01 and NonAccum z loc, and change them, if they differ from the values I wrote in my last post. You set it once, save .blend, and then your done. Changing z-loc is not a problem, it's z-Rot what I'm tell people not to touch.

And "SetAngle" is no work-around. It's the only way to do it, unless you do something comparable to the sitting animations.

• 3 weeks later...

Check Bip01 and NonAccum z loc, and change them, if they differ from the values I wrote in my last post. You set it once, save .blend, and then your done. Changing z-loc is not a problem, it's z-Rot what I'm tell people not to touch.

And "SetAngle" is no work-around. It's the only way to do it, unless you do something comparable to the sitting animations.

I'm not sure if this thread is still active but I have found the way to solve both the animation height and the rotation issues in blender. You simply apply both a Rot Z of 90 and a Loc Z of 6.7414 to the "Bip01 Non Accum" and export your animation. I currently apply these when I start but you can wait and make the change just before export if that's easier.

I'm not sure if this thread is still active but I have found the way to solve both the animation height and the rotation issues in blender. You simply apply both a Rot Z of 90 and a Loc Z of 6.7414 to the "Bip01 Non Accum" and export your animation. I currently apply these when I start but you can wait and make the change just before export if that's easier.

Unfortunately your Rot z solution does not work in all/most cases. It WAS a work-around with older Blender/NifScript versions, but is not RELIABLY working any more. I have had many anims that could not be fixed that way. So I decided not to try it and ALWAY do the NifSkope fix instead.

The Loc Z fix is not necessary any more. I'm not sure if this was fixed in the actual NifScripts, or by Coronerra's skeleton.

EDIT: I was overreading the NonAccum. This might be a fix for 1 frame POSES (not much experience there), but does not work for Animations.

Unfortunately your Rot z solution does not work in all/most cases. It WAS a work-around with older Blender/NifScript versions, but is not RELIABLY working any more. I have had many anims that could not be fixed that way. So I decided not to try it and ALWAY do the NifSkope fix instead.

The Loc Z fix is not necessary any more. I'm not sure if this was fixed in the actual NifScripts, or by Coronerra's skeleton.

EDIT: I was overreading the NonAccum. This might be a fix for 1 frame POSES (not much experience there), but does not work for Animations.

I went through all the "Blender fix" "Avoid Blender Problems" guides that refer to changing the RotZ and LocZ values for the Bip01 and the Bip01 Non Accum in Nifskope and I was getting unreliable results.

However, I must confess that I ran across an Oblivion "anomaly" that caused me great frustration when implementing idle animations. I had kept recent idle.kf versions in the _male directory (renamed of course) and I found that Oblivion will simply take the first .kf file that it finds that starts with "idle" no matter what the complete file name is. Needless to say I do not do that anymore.

Any way, the method I mentioned above integrates well with the other Oblivion idles for all the animations I created - falling, sitting, crawling, standing, etc. I've only found a few things you definitely don't want to do in Blender WRT some of the bones.

I probably should say that I'm using the "blender_nif_scripts-2.5.5.90a8d2f" for my exports and this may have some bearing on my results as well. Still using Blender 2.49, too.

I've used Coronerra's skeleton, also. For my simple motion anims I just use the vanilla skeleton instead, tho.

EDIT: I just imported one of Seph's animations, exported it and it worked fine. I took a look at how the Bip01 and Bip01 NonAccum bones are positioned. The Bip01 has a RotZ of -90 and a LocZ of -6.741 and the Bip01 NonAccum has a RotZ of 92 (approx 90) and a LocZ of 6.798 (approx 6.741) which is a combination I haven't tried before. I will try that and see if that works on my anims as well.

Just tried it and that combination works perfectly. I used the correct values on the NonAccum (RotZ 90 and LocZ 6.741), however.

Edited by facole