Custom recipe question

teammachine

Say I want to make a grilled cheese campfire recipe, but I want it to be possible to use brahmin cheese or bighorner cheese (without having to create two recipes for the same thing=. Basically, what I'm asking is if you can create a recipe where an recipe ingredient is two (or more) objects interchangeable with each other. Is that possible?

Sorry if this is confusing, English isn't my first language and I've never been good at explaining things.

It is possible to play with the visibility conditions and make a similar result.

However, the game doesn't know what's in your mind, so for example if you have both the ingredients and you make a single grilled cheese, which one the game should pick?

It is possible to play with the visibility conditions and make a similar result.

However, the game doesn't know what's in your mind, so for example if you have both the ingredients and you make a single grilled cheese, which one the game should pick?

Care to elaborate deeper on the visibility conditions?

Ideally I would have a menu show up where you can pick between them. I assume this would require one to exit the crafting menu.

You create 3 almost identical recipes:

- The first one will have CheeseA as ingredient, but the visibility conditions will be CheeseA > 0 and CheeseB < 1

- The second one will have CheeseB as ingredient, but the visibility conditions will be CheeseB > 0 and CheeseA < 1

- The third one is the "problematic" one, because when you have on the inventory both CheeseA and CheeseB you still have to provide a priority on one of these two. For example, if you have both the cheeses it will always pick CheeseA as ingredient, until CheeseA will be 0 (at that point the previous recipe will appear)

- Optionally you could create a fourth recipe that shows which are the needed ingredients, and as visibility condition you would put CheeseA and CheeseB < 1. In this case of course they both should appear in the list, but it would be only to warn the player "look, you need these types of cheeses to make the recipe". The alternative is a nice explicative note in the inventory, even because if these recipes need to be learned you probably already have made notes for them.

But if you want to make a custom menu where you can pick between them, then you must find an alternative solution.

The one I explained over here is using vanilla stuff, if you go over that then things become complicated and require some scripting.

The answer more or less comes out on its own, depending by what exactly you want to do.

If 2 items have the same use, then they shouldn't have a reason to exist, to be different. If the 2 kinds of cheese have the same use, they could be simply "cheese" instead than "brahmin / bighorner cheese". If you still want them different because their buffs are different (i.e. one boosts STR and the other one boosts DEX), then you could use the above solution OR introduce a new custom crafting menu - this one could be on a special activator (some peculiar new grill for cheese, for example), or using the Activate entry point (see Sandman perk as example).

Or it would be also possible to introduce an extra option inside the inventory menu that will appear when you have one kind or another kind of cheese in your inventory, and that option will allow to convert the "brahmin / bighorner cheese" to be simply "cheese", and this generic cheese is the ingredient for the grilled cheese. And then the option that allows to revert this operation.

Edited by Fallout2AM