Windows 10, DirectX 12 and My Modded Skyrim

CyberOcelot

Hi Everyone,

Being that Skyrim is my first and last modded PC game, it took me 13 months to customize it to my liking and get it stable and working as intended.

As a complete noob who doesn't even know how to properly back up my modded Skyrim (w/ Realvision ENB and much more installed) I'm pretty nervous about Windows 10 and DirectX 12 being around the corner and screwing everything up for me.

I've been so afraid of anything going wrong again (as so much has gone wrong for me in those 13 months) that I've refused to update SKSE or any of my installed mods so I can continue to enjoy the game.

All that being said, how worried should I be about DirectX 12 and Windows 10 and what can I do to protect my build?

If anyone can please help me prepare I would greatly appreciate it. My wife is pretty much due with our first child, and I know that when that baby is delivered (in a week or two), I won't find any time to fiddle around just to get my game working again post updates.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Not sure about Windows 10 but I seriously doubt it will screw anything up.

By the way, refusing to upgrade your mods or SKSE is very very silly. SKSE upgrades alone count for much of the stability in the game and end of CTDs.

It's also better to experiment, break something, and fix it, than to live in perpetual fear because you don't know how things works. It sucks to break stuff but when you fix it and learn you become able to enrich your gaming experience that much more.

Sounds just like my dad... He refused to update his stuff, and his Windows OS got so badly messed up, he had to buy a new laptop.

The reason why new updates to mods and SKSE are made, is because Bugs/issues are found and fixed. And mods are also optimized for better performance.

To refuse to update SKSE or your mods.... Is just plain dumb.

But... Back to the original query, I would also like to know if anyone has experienced any issues in upgrading to Windows 10.

If you will have Skyrim installed on separate drive and install Windows 10 there won't be any problems with mods. But be sure to backup your load order list. For example yesterday I tested WIndows 10. Installed it on my SSD drive. Skyrim is located on HDD. After validating game cash in steam only load order was messed. Everything else was fine.

Although there is other unpleasant thing about Windows 10... Fps is lower than you can get in Windows 7. I myself gonna use Windows 7 until real DirectX 12 games will appear.

Edited by Akreontage

I didn't expect to be called "dumb" for asking for assistance.

I'll elaborate...

My build took 13 months to accomplish because of limitations and several conflicting mods. My build uses the guide on the description page of Realvision ENB, but also includes several script heavy mods. To get it all to work together took A LOT of work, trial and error, and a little bit of luck. I have 255 hours on that save, and haven't even begun to play the main quests as my character hasn't even discovered he's Dragonborn yet. :wink:

My decision to leave everything as is was based mostly on the fact that everything is perfect and I have no desire to do more with that build. I accomplished my goal and I'm happy, and see no reason to risk breaking it again.

My only interest right now is to preserve that build because I have a baby on the way, and for at least the next year, I will not have the time to rummage through 167 mods to discover what DirectX 12 broke.

Is there someone who can provide some advise on how to protect my modded Skyrim without being condescending?

Thanks! :smile:

Edited by CyberOcelot

i use windows 10 since the first preview was made public half a year ago. never had trouble playing heavily modded skyrim :smile:

Thank you, TWarrior :)

This will be my first DirectX update since becoming a PC Gamer, should I be concerned about DIrectX 12?

Windows 10 isn't available until July, what's everybody talking about

Windows 10 officially releases July 29th but there are many who are using test versions.

In regards to DirectX, I'm curious how the jump to DirectX has effected people with modded games so as to ascertain how I can best prepare for that transition as well.