Windows 10, DirectX 12 and My Modded Skyrim

CyberOcelot

As I already told you you will notice small fps drop in Skyrim. It is really small but it's there.

Also you won't notice any difference when DirectX 12 will be released since Skyrim is game which uses DirectX 9. Until Bethesda will release DirectX 12 support which 100% won't happen.

it wont affect your skyrim at all. since the skyrim engine only supports directx 9.

Thank you, derder1167! :)

Finally, just to play it safe...

What would be the proper way to back up a modded Skyrim using RealVision ENB?

Considering an ENB requires you install files, I'm assuming simply dumping a copy of everything in an external HDD is not enough?

Now, in this case, I realize this is a dumb question to most here, but as someone who has previously failed to properly back up (causing all this fear) I'm curious how one would go backing up a more sophisticated build?

Those around me that are unfamiliar with modding recommend creating an image of the drive, but I was hoping for a method to back up my modded Skyrim, config files and saves on their own?

Can anyone assist with this final Q for me?

Again... Thanks to everyone taking the time out to help. :)

What version of SKSE do you have installed? There shouldn't be any issues with regards to upgrading it to the current version. If anything, a few new mods might come out that will require the latest versions and you'd might want to get them eventually. I'm running SKSE 1.7.3, for what it's worth and its pretty much stable as it is.

• 1 month later...

Just upgraded using the media creation tool from microsoft as rollout of windows 10 is a bit slow, no problem's though for a windows 7 user the new interface is hard to get used too so far so it may be better to go dual boot for some user's and keep windows 7 or 8 as there secondary operating system.

Now I have had a few minor issue's, the waves do not display but that is possibly down to a driver issue rather than direct X 12 which is a better version of direct X and much faster than previous versions.

My system a 2 core budget CPU at 2.6 GHtz, 8 gig of ram, Gefore 750 ti upgraded from window's 7 ultimate 64 bit to 10 pro.

So waves do not show up, some minor graphical glitches but nothing that is game breaking and indeed other than the waves (waterfalls are ok) it has only once been noticible in the loading screen model of the dark brotherhood door were the shadow's and side or the door were not rendered properly but so far no other problems except one possible culprit for this.

When I started Skyrim in Windows 10 I got an error message telling me that TESVAL.DLL in my data\skse\plugins folder was not a windows application, TESVAL (The Elder Scrolls Acceleration Layer) is no longer needed anyway as an early official update to the game remedied the problem it was created to fix as did an SKSE update but I had it for compatibility and I think some other plugin or mod may have needed it, it run's fine without it after I moved it to a junk folder in my plugins folder and indeed it is far faster with less freezing that I thought was probably page file swapping on window's 10 than it was on window's 7.

So some graphical glitches but nothing too big though sadly now my shore waves are invisible and other than that no problem's with the application or indeed any other I have tried so far.

But TESVAL.DLL is not compatible at all with window's 10 even if you forgot you had it in your plugins folder.

So it works fine with skyrim, no problem with plugins EXCEPT THE OLD TESVAL.dll or the latest version of NMM either.

Upgrading SKSE is perfectly safe as every version includes the ones before it so ur set there.
Upgrading to Windows 10 not likely to mess with ur setup as Steam has it's own registry system for games.
Mod load orders however, will probably be erased if ur not using Mod Organizer.

it wont affect your skyrim at all. since the skyrim engine only supports directx 9.

Thank you, derder1167! :smile:

Finally, just to play it safe...

What would be the proper way to back up a modded Skyrim using RealVision ENB?

Considering an ENB requires you install files, I'm assuming simply dumping a copy of everything in an external HDD is not enough?

Now, in this case, I realize this is a dumb question to most here, but as someone who has previously failed to properly back up (causing all this fear) I'm curious how one would go backing up a more sophisticated build?

Those around me that are unfamiliar with modding recommend creating an image of the drive, but I was hoping for a method to back up my modded Skyrim, config files and saves on their own?

Can anyone assist with this final Q for me?

Again... Thanks to everyone taking the time out to help. :smile:

Actually CyberOcelot, you're right on with backing up Skyrim and ENB. Typically, external drives aren't touched by an OS so you should be fine. I zip my entire Skyrim directory in C:/Program Files(x86) and dump it in my HDD. All is well. HTH

Is there some specific reason you want to update to Win 10? It's not going to make Skyrim run any better, so that is not a reason. Skyrim doesn't use directx12 so that is not a reason. Is there some other program that you want to run on Win 10? If not, why worry about it right now. Wait a while and see how things shake out. :cool:

Why does Skyrim have a DirectX10 Folder in the install directory, when it only uses DX9?

I really got no FPS changes. It runs with 50-55 FPS in Windows 7, and the same in Windows 10. The only reason i updated to Windows 10 is because i can!

I allways have a copy of Skyrim on 2 DVDs, in case something goes wrong, i do not have to download that!

Is there some specific reason you want to update to Win 10? It's not going to make Skyrim run any better, so that is not a reason. Skyrim doesn't use directx12 so that is not a reason. Is there some other program that you want to run on Win 10? If not, why worry about it right now. Wait a while and see how things shake out. :cool:

Because at some point, Microsoft will drop the support for any previous version of Windows. Microsoft also stated that Windows 10 will be the last Windows ever released, hence why you must subscribe for games like Solitaire or any free Windows' features to make ads disappear(guy has to make money somehow right?). So why wait until later if you could upgrade it now for FREE?

Edited by GroveJr