NPC Spouses

Bormotova

I understand this would probably be a massive project, but can someone please please, please make a mod that improves the looks of all the NPC's avaliable to marriage (especially the male NPC's) . I have a small brain (not literally) so downloading a mod that allows you to edit the NPC yourself is much too complicated for me to understand, also I don't wish to download a standalone NPC whom you can marry because it just wouldn't feel right marrying someone who isn't an original option for marriage. You get me?
Anyway can someone put this up for consideration?
P.S I also take personality and voice in account when choosing to marry someone so the numbers for possible marriage lower.

//wished I could marry Lord Ulfric (impossible, but came to the conclusion that it was good enough to at least serve him)
//brought Dawnguard, met Lord Harkon and thought "here's someone else I can give my life to"
//learned Lord Harkon's death was inevitable.. that little wench Serana
//cries

• 4 months later...

If you play on a pc you can use console commands to convert a dozen or more npc characters into both followers and spouses.

Jarls, such as Ulfric, have unique voices. Only vanilla voiced npcs are suitable for conversion. That limitation leaves out the most important characters, such as Cicero,but it still leaves plenty of options.

Google or bing 'skyrim console" to get started. (Remember, they have to like you to marry you, so remember to do their quest, or otherwise alter your relationship rank, before adding them to your faction.)

Males of Skyrim looks like a large mod that improves the looks of some men in Skyrim, mostly the marriageable kind. (Includes Ulfric.) Inhabitants of Skyrim improves most of the NPCs in the game in general. BVFE - Serana and Family should cover Harkon.

Having good face normalmaps for males should also help. Younger Faces Merged With Men by Geonox and Geonox Faces from Better Males are really popular, and I think the new younger faces from SkySight Skins are a great alternative.

There are quite a few overhauls out there for followers like Vilkas and Farkas, Eric the Slayer, and the College of Winterhold students. It just takes a little bit of sleuthing around to find them. It helps if you're specific about your searches.

Edited by Laereal

Hi Laereal :smile: I tried a really good Companions overhaul that was great for both the men & women in that guild, but for some reason it reacted badly with some random NPCs, they had half blacked out faces. I also had problems with one that altered Uthgerd - I think a lot of the overhauls aren't compatible with body/face replacers? Bijin are the first ones I've tried that don't, as far as I've seen in my limited testing, cause incompatibilities. Males of Skyrim looks really promising, thanks so much for that tip! I'll try it once I've finally found time to finish my mod & start a new game :smile:

Edited by ElioraArin

Hiya ElioraArin. :D Speaking from my small experience, head and body mismatch can be caused by load order. I usually put large character overhauls like Inhabitants of Skyrim much lower down the list compared to the spot LOOT usually sorts it into.

There could be other reasons too. The usual Dark Face Bug is easy enough to sort out by exporting facegen data of the affected NPCs. I usually snoop around the mod's comment's section to see if other people have had the same issue and if someone has dropped a tip on how to fix it. Posting a screenshot of what is wrong also helps other people identify causes of conflict. (TES5Edit is supposed to do this too, but I still haven't had time to test this out myself.)

May I ask which Companions/Uthgerd overhaul you tried out? Maybe I can help out, as I should be more free time nearing the weekend. :)

Laereal - I can't remember, it was when I was using a housemates Skyrim on their computer before I moved & got my own, I was exceptionally disappointed they seemed to be a bit buggy or incompatible at the time, but I am more than happy with the versions in Bijin Warmaidens & Males of Skyrim now that I have discovered them (I'll probably just change a few hairstyles with Apachii Skyhair Wigs). I'm actually going to have to re download Skyrim & start again due to recently needing to restore my computer, & I've decided to try & weed down my mods as much as I can, I think my mod load was getting a bit much for my pretty poor system. Thanks for the offer though, & for Males of Skyrim, it looks like exactly what I'm after, & with all the vanilla companions improved I won't need the many mod followers I used to add in :D