The 1st thing I learned about STEAM is that it sets up the games in the Program Files (x86) folder. Which means it is setting up the games in 32Bit; not 64bit. If you have Windows 7, 8, 8.1 set up in 64bit there may be unknowns. I have had my version of Windows 7 64bit ready and waiting for 64bit games.

RAGE is ready and able for 64Bit systems. The way you can tell if a game is 64Bit ready is: It is set up in the folder, "Program Files", the one just above Programs (x86).

I've never tried it, but if you're going to be connected to STEAM games and you have Windows 7 32bit disk you can use; install it instead of the 64bit disk.

The first thing I learned about video games was; they are not all alike.

Any new game you are going to get, not just Fallout 4, any new game for PC may need you to set some of the controls manually, especially, if you're using an NVIDIA Video Card.

NVidia GeForce video cards are user friendly and you can set up your games settings in it and keep it for the game in a profile once all the controls are set.

The controls are all set to the Default settings in NVIDIA Control Panel.

Several Games run fine without any adjustments. There are some video games though; that need to have some adjustments set manually.

Borderlands, Borderlands 2, and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

NVidia Control Panel:

If you're getting one of the NVIDIA Video Cards and you only have 1 monitor do this 1st thing; No matter what.

Open the NVIDIA Control Panel; Select : Manage 3D settings. (do this even if you don't have a 3D monitor.)

Look for: Multidisplay/Mixed-GPU Accelleration. Click on the words to the right and you'll see you can choose, from 3. Multiple display performance mode; Single display performance mode; Compatible performance mode.

Choose Single display performance mode if you're only running one monitor, or try, Compatible performance mode, that is, if you're inclined to, like some of us do, to play around with settings until we find, all, the right stuff so the game is a beautiful smooth playing video game.

I don't know anything more to add at this time.

But check back later to see if anyone with more advanced tech know how has posted to add a list of the changes to set up the rest of the Manageable settings in the Manage 3D settings area.

If you have an NVIDIA Video Card... Note: If a video game you're going to play has a Control panel for settings use them. For example: Turn On Ambient Occlusion, in the video games control setting.

Leave it in the Off setting in the Nvidia Control Panels, "Manage 3D Settings".

Default Settings in the NVidia Control Panels : Manage 3D Settings

Ambient Occlusion : off

Anisotropic Filter : off

Antialiasing - FXAA : off

Antialiasing Gamma Correction : on

Antialiasing - mode : off

Antialiasing - setting : none

Antialiasing - transparency : off

CUDA - CPUs : all

DSR - Factors : Off

DSR - Smoothness : Off

Maximum pre-rendered frames : Use the 3D application setting

Multi-display / Mixed-GPU acceleration : Multiple performance display mode

Power management mode : Adaptive

Shader Cache : On

Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization : Off

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias : Quality

Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization : On

Threaded optimization : Auto

Triple buffering : Off

Vertical sync : Off

Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames : 1

That's All Peeps.

Now what to do with your particular NVIDIA video game settings is open to discussion.

Wow! I turned on DSR - Factors,

I set it at 2.00x and the Nvidia blacked the screen. I started to think, "NO! I BROKE IT!" when the screen lit back up. NVIDIA restored it to Off.

I decided to try another setting. There are only a few. Once I got one that worked the DSR - Smoothness setting switched itself to 33% automatically.

I opened up the STEAM accounted logged on to the most intense cartoon like game I could find and Ooo! Weeee! What a picture!

An application being in "Program Files (x86)" is not forced to execute as a Win32 application - at least that directory tree doesn't force or impose that limitation. The (x86) folder serves to (in theory) separate 32-bit and 64-bit applications to try and prevent conflicts between them (e.g. 32-bit application trying to read a 64-bit DLL, or separation for an application that installs both 32-bit and 64-bit variants (like Internet Explorer)). Convention is to have 32-bit applications in (x86) but that isn't a hard and fast rule. Windows will determine if an executable is 32-bit or 64-bit at runtime, regardless of where it is installed (you can install things to C:\Games for example, if you wanted). For more information about the dichtomy: http://www.howtogeek.com/129178/why-does-64-bit-windows-need-a-separate-program-files-x86-folder/

On the application profiles/3D settings:

Both nVidia and AMD support per-application profiles in their drivers, as well as stand-alone applications that will seek to optimize settings per-game based on your detected hardware (nVidia users have GeForce Experience, AMD users have Raptr). As far as I know these optimization applications do not account for overclocks, but otherwise will try to set the best settings based on your hardware. Many of the settings in "Manage 3D Settings" can be set in-game, and doing that in-game is usually better when available, but forcing over-rides is sometimes useful (e.g. if you want to force vsync).

On DSR:

https://techreport.com/review/27102/maxwell-dynamic-super-resolution-explored (it has pictures too)

AMD offers a similar feature called VSR ("Virtual Super Resolution") on many of their GCN parts (e.g. Radeon R9 series).

Edited by obobski

No relation between your messages and the title. LOL.

BTW, it really doesn't matter where you install your games, as long as you run the 64-Bit version of EXE, you're fine.

None of my games are installed in either of the Program Files folders - and they all work fine. The difference between the x86 and x64 folders is more or less arbitrary as windows can tell which is 32 bit and which is 64 bit without their being in those folders at all.

Now, What does this thread have to do with whether a PC can run FO4 or not? :psyduck:

Note, for those that don't understand x86 vs x64, MS changed their nomenclature a few years back - x86 refers to the architecture of the old 32 bit 8086 processor chip used in older PCs. As time went on, and various processors came and went the x86 actually became meaningless except as a generic name for any 32 bit processor that was backwards compatible with the 8086 code. The new nomenclature uses the x64 as that is the number of bits that the processor uses. (it is still backwards compatible though) - the next gen will likely be called x128 for a 128 bit processor - unless they change the naming conventions again. :whistling:

For the PC so we can set it up too, to be prepared for Fallout 4?

Nothing until they say what hardware recommendations.

Everyone expects Fo4 to be on the same engine as Skyrim, which means whatever you have for Skyrim should get you through a game of Fallout 4. I guess there would be a lot of surprised people if Fo4 came out and it uses Unreal, but that is a highly doubtful scenario.

No relation between your messages and the title. LOL.

BTW, it really doesn't matter where you install your games, as long as you run the 64-Bit version of EXE, you're fine.

For modding it's wise to keep the game out of the program files, UAC tends to cause problems in there.