Note, for those that don't understand x86 vs x64, MS changed their nomenclature a few years back - x86 refers to the architecture of the old 32 bit 8086 processor chip used in older PCs. As time went on, and various processors came and went the x86 actually became meaningless except as a generic name for any 32 bit processor that was backwards compatible with the 8086 code. The new nomenclature uses the x64 as that is the number of bits that the processor uses. (it is still backwards compatible though) - the next gen will likely be called x128 for a 128 bit processor - unless they change the naming conventions again. :whistling:

To keep things extra confusing: Apple will call the same instruction sets "x86-64", and in the past Microsoft has used "64-bit" to refer to both x64 and IA-64 (Itanium). :facepalm:

Support for 16-bit (e.g. 8086) code exists, at least in hardware, for x64 CPUs, but 64-bit Windows dropped NTVDM and WOW16 which eliminated 16-bit support. This can break installers for some applications (including games) that are still 16-bit.

For the PC so we can set it up too, to be prepared for Fallout 4?

Nothing until they say what hardware recommendations.

Everyone expects Fo4 to be on the same engine as Skyrim, which means whatever you have for Skyrim should get you through a game of Fallout 4. I guess there would be a lot of surprised people if Fo4 came out and it uses Unreal, but that is a highly doubtful scenario.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fallout 4 added DX11 support, but I agree that it doesn't seem unreasonable that it should run on systems that can run Skyrim (this was at least true for Oblivion-> Fallout 3; Fallout 3 added DX9c but machines that ran Oblivion could run Fallout 3).

Edited by obobski