All RPers Read this.

HeLLL

It has been decided to slow/stop the curve of SPAM and Flames that seem to be generating alot here.

This is a blatent rip from Theta because IMHO she summed up exactly what will be happening etc.

Aim:

* keep the standard of roleplay in the RP forums high

* prevent recurrences of the 'Arena' flamewar

How to do this:

* restrict access to the RP forums to a new, yet to be created usergroup. Membership of this usergroup has to be applied for, and acceptance depends on meeting various criteria for which, IIRC, Daerk has or can make a test

* restrict ability to start new RP threads to members of the RP usergroup which have met additional criteria

What your faithful moderators minions have been doing meanwhile:

* policed the RP forums much more closely

* stated criteria for starting RP threads to prevent poorly thought out threads from starting up and quickly deteriorating

* locked threads failing to comply with these criteria

Result:

* much less flaming and generally better behaviour in the RP forums

As you can see some changes will be happening. This has been in the works for a while now. This was the main concern:

Hey All

Just some concerns over the current situation of the RP Forums. My main concerns are that people are not role playing but are using the RP forums to "discharge" built up anger at certain members; or when there characters uber like qualitys are under scrutiny/comprimised <for example Arena/Werewolves and Warlocks> people start to get a bit "RP crazed". Why I am bringing my thoughts to the board is that I have being contacted through PM by some members about how they are not happy with how the RP forums are going at the moment. Currently there is a lot of spamming <as in the Guide lines set forth are not be adhered to> in the RP forums. Most of the spamming occurs when a certain member <this is a generilsed statement> takes what is happening in the RP personal and starts to attack other characters or controls them or what they do.

Player 1 Post

Player 1 turns around to see the massive cliff racer bearing down on them and the group. The cliff racer starts to attack Player 2 and Player 2 runs away and hides behind a rock. Player 1 comes over and kills the cliff racer with a massive fireball that sends shockwaves every where and knocks PLayer 2 on to the ground. Player 1 walks over to Player 2 and starts to heal him because he is badly wounded.

PLayer 2 Reply

ooc Don't control my character !!!!!!! . I would have SOOOO killed that cliff racer with my uber daderic longsword of 1337ness. And my character is a battle hardened Nord King that would NOT run away.

PLayer 2 turns to PLayer 1 and pushes him off him. I don't need your healing. Im not even hurt. Player 2 pulls out his uber daderic longsword of 1337ness and slices of Player 1 hand. Let that be a lession to you. I DON"T NEED YOUR HELP!!!

PLayer 1 Reply

ooc WTF!!!! You can't cut off my hand!!! Your charcater was going to die if I hadn't of cast that massive fireball.

Player 1 regenrates his hand and starts to wave his hands in a circualr motion and massive metors fall from the sky smashing Player 2 into oblivion.

Player 2 you suck at RPing this is my RP so f(_)ck of if you don't like it. Your character was goiung TO DIE if i hadn't cast that fireball so shuddup and you smell like donkey!

This may seem abit to far fetched but recently in my RP i had to delete over 10 posts because of content like this. People controlling other characters changing the RP WAY to much etc etc.

My solution to the problem???

Well a while ago I visted a site that was just for RP and the mods/admins/selcted members where the only people who could post RPs. First a "enrolment" was nessicry before any member could post in the desired RP <there where at least 3 RPs in progress at any one time> at the conclusion of the enrolemts only those who enroled where aloud to post in the RP. This cut down the spamming/abuse incredibly. Newbies where warmly welcome and alot of the time n00b RPs where started so that the more experinced Rpers could teach them a few tricks/skills to help them on there way.

I really like the RP forums but its getting quite sad to see them getting "trashed" some what by members who either don't care or havent read the RP Guidlines/Rules.

So what do you guys think? Am I harping on about nothing?

Regards

HeLLL

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about

"* restrict access to the RP forums to a new, yet to be created usergroup. Membership of this usergroup has to be applied for, and acceptance depends on meeting various criteria for which, IIRC, Daerk has or can make a test

* restrict ability to start new RP threads to members of the RP usergroup which have met additional criteria"

Just how would membership be decided? What would be these "additoinal criteria" for starting threads? And especially if the rp fourms are usergroup only, how do show that you should be allowed in if you can't post in rpg threads?

Are we talking about locking out everyone after the RP thread has started? I love working new characters in, and, as a player, I pick and choose whose thread I want to take part in. I understand that the proposed rules are not meant for the serious RP'ers, but to keep the non-serious ones from ruining the fun for the others.

What if we have two levels of 'security' I'll call it for lack of a better word. An open category for anyone, and a closed one for the serious people who have been allowed in by the GMs. This would allow new players to get their feet wet, and let the serious GMs be able to get a read on how they play before allowing them in. This would also allow players and moderators to get a read on the GMs, to see who they would allow to run games in the serious forum.

I personally can run a couple of games at once, one for newbies to get them indoctrinated and the other serious. I don't know if this might solve the problem without the added problem of setting up tests and guards. If it works, the 'limited' threads might work by invitation to those who post on the open category.

I agree that GMs need to be screened. They should have the willingness to remove unwanted characters from the thread they are running. If the example thread occurred, the GM should issue first a warning, then a request/demand that the offending player stop. If it continued past that, the GM should be able to contact a moderator to have the person removed from being able to post to the rping section. (I'm not sure if this is possible.) This puts the responsibility on the GM to try to maintain order.

Of course, the rules will still be posted, and, as an addition, in huge letters, that participation in one of the 'limited' threads is purely at the discretion of the GM.

It's not that I'm against the proposed way, but I like to throw out alternatives in case they might work as well.

Thanks for the soapbox

Are we talking about locking out everyone after the RP thread has started?  I love working new characters in, and, as a player, I pick and choose whose thread I want to take part in.

Well, that doesn't contradict anything. Just means that you have to sign up in the start thread before posting in the main story. Which makes sense, as a dm I definitely don't want someone randomly showing up in my story without contacting me or getting approval. But I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to change the approved list once the game has begun, if the dm decides they want the new player. I think what all that means is just making a formal rule out of the way the most recent games have done a sign up then a "post here only if you have signed up" story thread.

Ok. The RP forums will work like this <correct me if Im wrong mods/admins>. There will be a series of "tests" that will determine who can create RPs or join them. Those who pass the tests will be given permission to RP <they will be given access to the RP forums>. This is to enable a more enjyable RPing experiance by making sure that all RPers are they same or higer standard deemed acceptable/nessaciry to RP.

When exactly would these 'tests' take place? how would one, for lack of a better word, 'apply' to RP? And wouldn't this discourage potential RP'ers from joining? If I just came to these forums, but had to go through a test to RP, I would be discouraged from joining. I probably wouldn't even try. And those who want to try out RP'ing, without knowing what it is completely, would not be able to have that chance. What if someone wants to have a silly character on the RP forum? Wouldn't that completely block that person out from the forum altogether, even if they have a very serious character already in a RP?

I agree... We do need to stop many spammers and 'power-players' from joining RP's. Couldn't one just report some one who is doing this though, instead of completely blocking people out of the whole RP forum? Couldn't that one person be blocked instead of the mass of people on MWS?

The tests will determine how will you RP. It will not be a right or wrong type of test but one that will determine where you strngths and weakness lie. I underastand that you may not want to join because of the tests but IMHO if that is the case you are not really there to RP. The test system was agreed upon because it will be easier to determoin peoples stengths and weakness and potential problems BEFORE they RP. As for the RP nwbies it was proposed that a thread/forum be set aside for new RPers to hone there skills. Practice makes perfect. Similar systems like this exsist and are quite effective in bringing the level of RP up a knotch.

Wesay; allowing everyone to RP and when Reported blocking said offender will be exactly the same style that is here at the moment. IMHO prevention is better than cure.

Peregine; The tests <as propsed> will be made up by certain Admin/Moderators and will specifcally test the Rper in certain RP situations. This is to see how he/she might react to certain situations in a real RP.

This is to overall bring the standard of RPing up here. I am in NO way saying that at the moment the RPing is sub-par but with constent disturbance in the RP Forums a solution must be applied.

I know you're probably getting tired of hearing from me.... but what about the existing stuff? Do all of us veterans get automatic membership? Or do the curent threads get moved into a public forum? Because it would be extremely annoying if a player in my game who had an important part in the plot suddenly couldn't post. Or even worse, say I somehow fail the test. Then my game is over, most likely annoying everyone who put their effort into the existing part, as well as I just disappear from all the games I'm in?

:lol: Im not sick of hearing from you Peregine. At least you are taking an interest and voicing your concerns. I am not to sure of how the merge will happen niether when. Those details I will ask. As I said. The tests are not really designed as a pass/fail but more of an indication of where your skills are at. As soon as I know the answer to your question I shall reply.