All RPers Read this.

HeLLL

Well, if we are to have a test, since I've only just started, can we have it quickly. If you are going to eliminate me on grounds of inexperience, I 'd prefer not to ruin Peregrine's latest RP by being thrown out later.

However if the tests are situational I doubt if I will fail them I don't take anything personally and have every intention of abiding by the rules. I hope that is clear from the few posts I have already made in the RP to date.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, if I get this straight -

Newcomers will take a test to determine if they will be allowed to participate in the 'closed' threads. Those who are already in threads may or may not have to take the test. (I would choose not, and then knock them out if a SERIOUS problem occurred). There may be open threads for GMs and players to hone their skills and possibly be let into the 'closed' threads.

A month ago I would have been a super newcomer, and, though positive I'd be able to pass a test on roleplaying and GMing ability, there still is the question as to what, exactly is good gaming? My view of someone who would be good for a group (or someone I could handle) might be very different than what others might think. A good player could look bad with a bad GM, so would 'approved' GMs be running the open threads?

Peregrine and I are of the same mind on a lot of things - while I would rather not have testing, if it is to come, I'll live with it - just let's all get together and make sure that we get the bugs out.

Have you given any thought to having 'approved' GMs review/come up with the situations? I think the existing GMs might look more kindly on this if we felt we had a part in it's creation and implementation.

Ok this is how it will work. I will create a new thread where if you want to join the new RP Forums; you will post in it. I will go through the list and either "fast track" applicants or ask them to sit a test. Those who will be "fast tracked" are those who IMHO; beyond resonible doubt; obey the rules and create a enjoyable RP experiance. I will use my RPing personal experiance with the applicant or by a search of they 3 latest RPs that they have joined/been a part of. to decide who is "fast tracked". If you are asked to complete a test do not worry. It is because I may have not of RPed with you or there is insuficent posting in the RP forums to warrent a "fast track". I will create the tests and email them to you. They will be different everytime to elemnate the possibilty of passing on notes etc.

Please use this thread to convey your thoughts/oppinions of the new road MWS RP Forums will be taking.

HeLLL

Please Note that from now <as in Novemebr 1st NZST> there will be no NEW RPs starting up. All the RPs that are currently in progress will be aloud to continue on. So PLEASE do NOT create any new RPs. However those who RPs are currently active will be aloud to continue on untill they have finshed.

Ok. The RP forums will work like this <correct me if Im wrong mods/admins>. There will be a series of "tests" that will determine who can create RPs or join them. Those who pass the tests will be given permission to RP <they will be given access to the RP forums>. This is to enable a more enjyable RPing experiance by making sure that all RPers are they same or higer standard deemed acceptable/nessaciry to RP.

Correction:

There will be a general overall roleplay talent/skills/style test that covers basic roleplay. There is no passing or failing. If you do not have the specific guidelines to roleplay as the test deems fit for the forums, then you do not get access to post in the roleplay boards until you show you have such guidelines "down pat".

There will then be a Combat test for those interested in roleplaying with combat. For those not interested in combat, they will not be allowed to be attacked in roleplay using the combat system, but may be attacked and run away or scream for help or whatever the situation allows for, excluding a counter-attack beyond the skill-level of thrashing fingernails and swinging wildly and kicking. If someone wants to interact in a roleplay thread with combat, there will be STRICTLY ENFORCED guidelines concerning combat, and you will have to pass the combat test prior to participating in combat in the roleplay.

There will also be a GM/DM test that pertains to your ability to actually lead and manage a roleplay session. Your ability to keep players guided along your chosen path of gameplay. The overall moderation of that specific session. You must pass this test to create a new roleplay session. Only those individuals who have passed this test will be permitted to create a new thread in the roleplay forums. This allows us to ensure that only those who are qualified on this level will be the ones leading.

There will be guidelines for character creation such as a requirement for a proper description of your character, without power-posing a response from those looking at you. A description should be a basic list of facts pertaining directly and ONLY to your physical appearance. Forcing a reaction from the person looking at you is power-posing and is against roleplay rules. There will also be requirements for character development such as "filling out" the character's history, persona, geneology, etc.

We *MAY* get into a statistical charting level for combat, to maintain a degree of realism in combat so that a noob with no training in longbow cannot out-shoot a master archer.

I haven't finished reading this thread, and must vanish for work. I'll continue this later.

-- D

So who's making the new game rules? Where do I sign up to rules lawyer that part? And this would be a suggested system, right? So if the dm wants to use a different system, that would be ok as long as it is stated/explained clearly, would that be allowed? I would really not like to see a mandatory rulebook for games here, since whatever is good for some threads may or may not fit well with mine. So please, if you make stuff like combat rules and skill charts, don't enforce them on those of us who want to use another system.

Quick Correction/Clarification:

We aren't building a sytem. We're designing a teaching set of guidelines for roleplay in various situations and under various topics. Basically an etiquette of roleplay. This will be a mandatory etiquette to follow on these forums, but is NOT a system full of charts, rules, etc.

You can use whatever system you wish if you've been qualified to lead a session, however for those participating they WILL have to be qualified according to the MWSrc roleplay etiquette to participate in the session in whatever mode they wish, ie: combat. You may choose to use the D&D 1st edition combat system, and those in your session would be first required to pass the combat test before participating in combat in your session.

-- D

Ok, that makes much more sense then. Rules like "don't just say 'I kill all with teh daedric diakatana of teh 1337n3ss lolololol pwnd'" are a good thing. Its just the "We *MAY* get into a statistical charting level for combat, to maintain a degree of realism in combat so that a noob with no training in longbow cannot out-shoot a master archer" part that got me confused.

I'm running Arcangel based on a Rolemaster - type system, and I believe Peregrine is running under D&D rules. The rolls in my system are all done by me and I report the results in prose -though we haven't gotten to combat yet. Look to the Habassa thread to see a good example of how this works - I do virtually the same thing as Peregrine. (Peregrine - I hope I'm not stepping on toes here...)