Unbalanced?? Well, yes!

wolron

Ya, the game does get easy after level 15 or so. I had more than 100k by that time and I was killing virtually everything without too much trouble.

Things kinda got a little tougher in Tribunal with the DB and the goblins and all, but then I aquired Umbra, The dragon scale armor and ward's so stuff got easy again. Then it shot dramatically high when I fought Almalexia. Very tough battle, I had to bring the difficuly tab to lowest.

Then I got burned out of Morrowind in Bloodmoon. Things we're the same..same thing all over again...bleh. Got bored playing the game and stopped.

morrowind is best if you dont try and go through it in one day =) i ussualy only play a for about 2 hrs per sitting. ussualy i start it up after dinner do a few quest and then go play some kind of online team combat game till i pass out, mechwarrior, battlefield 1942, halo, whatever im in the mood for at the time.

I posted earlier in this thread that my level 15 warrior type was having a much too easy time even with the difficulty slider set to 100.

I decided to start a new character, with the aim of making the game more challenging. Here's what I created:

Race: Altmer

Birth sign: The Apprentice

Major skills: Destruction, Conjuration, Illusion, Alchemy, Enchant

Minor skills: Blunt Weapon, Alteration, Restoration, Mysticism, Athletics

In addition, I came up with some rules about how to play him. I see him as a good, lawful, absent-minded mage type. So the rules are:

- No stealing, murder or any sort of crime

- No bartering (I found with my last character that I hate Mecantile skill anyway)

- No buying/selling tricks such as selling items one at a time or charming the merchants

- No creeper or mudcrab

- No selling of soul gems or alchemy potions

- The only weapon types he can use are staffs

- No armorer skill, so he has to pay a smith for all repairs

- No boosting intelligence, alchemy or enchant really high to make alchemy/enchant much stronger

- No reloading when things go wrong, unless he's dead

- No paying for training: all skills must be raised through use

- No using skills unnecessarily, just to get the training

- No tricks, exploits or anything else that seems to give an unfair advantage

- No armor

- No raising the endurance attribute (so I always get 5 health per level)

- Difficulty slider starts at 5, and increases by 5 each level

The above will no doubt sound very restrictive to many people, myself included. However, this is not my first character, so these rules actually make the game more fun because I have already done the "do anything you want" thing. Also, I am only doing all this because I play on Xbox. On the PC I have my own difficulty mod, so I do not have the same problems with the game being too easy.

I have to say, the game has been a blast with this new character, so far. It is easily my favorite character, and that is coming from someone who usually hates playing mages. The fun comes from how long and strategic the fights are. Even a cliff racer can kill me in 2-3 hits, and they frequently do. If any enemy tougher than a rat gets to melee range then I have to finish them within a few seconds or I am dead. I have had more epic battles already than with any other character I've played. Highlights include:

Epic battle #1 : An unarmed NPC in Sadrith Mora who attacked me as part of a quest. He kept knocking me unconscious and I had no fatigue regen/drain spells or potions. I beat him first attempt, but it took me a while to figure out how and a lot of luck was needed because my spell casting chances dropped with my fatigue. (I used summon ghost to distract him while I got my breath back.)

Epic battle #2 : Three ashlanders around a camp fire, all of whom cast spells so powerful that one direct hit killed me. I eventually beat them on the 6th attempt by successfully dodging all their spells. Unlike playing a melee character, I could not simply wait for them to run out of mana because then they draw weapons and charge me, which is far worse.

Epic battle #3 : The most fun I have ever had in Morrowind was fighting a magess and her buddies. She was way more powerful than me and I had to jump off a bridge into a river to escape her. She followed me in and I was swimming away desperately while trying to cast levitate to escape her. When I levitated up her buddies where shooting at me with crossbows! I had to hide behind a mushroom tree, heal up, land and then play cat and mouse with them all until they were dead.

With this character I am even walking around kagouti and alits to avoid fighting them. In dungeons, I basically have to run away if I encounter a nord, redguard or orc because they usually close to melee range immediately and I do not have a chance.

Obviously, the game will get easier as I level, but hopefully not too easy. I am not going to go down the route of creating uber Destruction spells that can kill anything in one hit - I will probably limit how much magicka a destruction spell can cost to about 20. I could have made the game even harder by playing a race that is not ideal for being a mage, but having low magicka tends to be more frustrating than difficult.

The epic battles you've posted truely are epic; especially when you consider that you would walk right through these guys if you were playing "normally".

Myself, i tried a hyper-restrictive player that someone one here thought up; a proper mage - only a staff, no armour, no potions or enchantments. It was very, very fun, but it takes a great deal of self-control not to revert to my dark elf who just got 100 in Destruction.

I respect all the people who play with "restricted" characters, but i disagree that the game is unbalanced because it lets you play with such characters.

I play what you would call 'restricted' characters all of the time. It may have something to do with my morals (I don't know) but I cannot bring myself to steal, or take the easy road, even in a game such as this. The Breton Mage I described earlier I have gotten up to 11th level with, and that is without stealing, killing unnecessarily (they have to attack me first), using a lot of the 'easy' ways to get money that are noted in the forums, spellmaking of anything out of the ordinary (I made an autoopen spell that unlocks 100 to 100 - costs about 650 gp). I am currently doing some of the mages guild quests, and always give the person a way out - I will not steal the dwemer artifact to prove that he is smuggling - I'll go and find another one to see if they'll accept it as proof - if not, well, I'll have to ponder long and hard as to whether I think that smuggling of the items in question is worse than my stealing an item that is being said is smuggled, while the legion has more moon sugar in its own warehouse than anywhere else in all of the land.

The game is as hard or easy as you want to make it - if you have the discipline to stick with what you say you are doing by restricting what kind of actions you are doing. Giving you the choice to either go uber or weak, however, does not mean that either is any better or worse than the other. That is actually one of the great things about this game, is that you have the freedom to play it how you wish - if it seems to easy, you can try something else. I loved to play tanks when I first started playing the game, but then decided that just killing everything in my path was getting old - so I switched to a new kind of character and away I went. I've been having fun with this game since I got it - and have probably put in a couple of hundred hours on the game itself trying new characters and things that I hadn't done before.

I applaud you Limorkil for having the sense and intelligence to figure out how to continue to have fun with a game that you have already beaten.

Archived