can't get the dismiss dialogue to work for animal follower *PAPYRUS QUESTION*

bombchu

Alright, I'm really new at this. LIke 2 days new. I used a tutorial to help with making a wolf follower, but I just can't get the "dismiss" dialogue option to work. Everything else works fine.

The tutorial said that it is normal to get the following error when entering "(pDialogueFollower as DialogueFollowerScript).DismissAnimal()" in the "End" window, but I figured I'd mention it anyway in case it's the culprit.

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...
Compiling "TIF__02004E14"...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\TIF__02004E14.psc(9,1): variable pDialogueFollower is undefined
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\TIF__02004E14.psc(9,19): cannot cast a none to a dialoguefollowerscript, types are incompatible
No output generated for TIF__02004E14, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Failed on TIF__02004E14

So after "ok"ing past that error, I click the "advanced" tab and rename the script to something more easily remembered. I've read conflicting information about what to put under "Edit Source", but I've tried both, which are:

Scriptname SCRIPTNAME Extends TopicInfo Hidden

;PROPERTY

Quest Property pDialogueFollower Auto

;FUNCTION

Function Fragment_0(ObjectReference akSpeakerRef)
Actor akSpeaker = akSpeakerRef as Actor
(pDialogueFollower as DialogueFollowerScript).DismissAnimal()
EndFunction

and

;;BEGIN FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the end comment
;NEXT FRAGMENT INDEX 1

;BEGIN FRAGMENT Fragment_0
Function Fragment_0(ObjectReference akSpeakerRef)
Actor akSpeaker = akSpeakerRef as Actor
;BEGIN CODE
;END CODE
EndFunction
;END FRAGMENT

;END FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the begin comment

Quest Property pDialogueFollower Auto

They both compile succsessfully, so i don't know if either one is incorrect. Next, I click the "properties" button, and make sure that it's "pDialogueFollower - Quest - DialogueFollower". I click ok, and ALWAYS get this error:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...
Compiling "achamletdismiss"...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\achamletdismiss.psc(19,0): missing EOF at 'Scriptname'
No output generated for achamletdismiss, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Failed on achamletdismiss

And before anyone asks, yes I always make sure that the "SCRIPTNAME" is correct.
So, can anyone please tell me what's wrong here and how to do it correctly? If you need more info on what I did in earlier steps just let me know, but I feel sure that the error lies somewhere in what I've posted.
Thank you :smile:

SCRIPTNAME Is Wrong...

Should be the name that CK generated when creating the script fragment.

Example:

This is my Topic Info for telling my wolf to go home.

Since I'll be adding a script to this I'll first get CK to generate an empty script fragment.

So I put in the Scripts End box a Semicolon and click OK so the topic info window closes and generates a new script fragment

(Do this as it stops error messages about not finding a fragment when you actually try to paste the code in the end box).

http://nsae02.casimages.net/img/2015/06/16/150616052320739610.jpg

Now I open the Topic info again and you can see the new script fragment and I select the script frgment and click Properties, Click Add Property, Select Type Quest, Enter name pDialogueFollower, Click OK to close the Add Property window, Click Ok to close the property window.

http://nsae02.casimages.net/img/2015/06/16/150616052325301488.jpg

Now I replace the Semicolon I placed earlier with :

Then I click OK and the Topic window closes.

http://nsae02.casimages.net/img/2015/06/16/150616052329269162.jpg

No errors or problems, it just plain and simple works.

Edit:

If at a later time you would like to rename the fragment script.

Make sure you don't have your esp loaded in CK.

Then rename the script fragment outside of CK while in windows.

Also open the fragment script and put the same name for the Scriptname and compile the renamed fragment script

Then use TESVEdit to rename the name of the fragment script that the Topic info is looking for.

Myself I've had nothing but time wastage trying to get CK to rename fragment scripts.

Usually results in breaking things or me losing my temper using CK to rename fragments, well that's been my experience anyway.

Thank you for putting time into a clear and thourough reply. I really appreciate it :) I started from scratch and, with the help of your post, I have everything working. But, perhaps working a little too well? I've somehow made the game see him as a humanoid, because he now has a hunting bow in his inventory and I can ask him to set up camp and round up my horses via Amazing Follower Tweaks. I'm going back through everything to see where I may have "activated his humanity", but so far nothing about the CK has been as simple as I assumed it would be when I started. If anyone who knows where I went wrong I'd appreciate a heads up. I suspect it's somewhere in "Race", but who knows. Thanks again for your help :)

What factions have you put your follower in when you created him?

What dialogue / topic info are you using to hire your follower?

What tutorial did you use to make your follower?
(don't bother pointing to a video tutorial as I can't watch online videos)

It makes it pretty hard to give advice when you haven't given enough input as to what you have done when creating your follower.

Also just my personal preference:

When creating a new follower, test on a game without follower mods with a clean save.

This way you can see that the follower works correctly without other interference.

After you have your follower working correctly without 3rd party follower mods/managers, then go and use follower mods/managers and see how things go.

Sorry, I thought there might be a single, well known CK option that causes this problem. Anyway, I remembered that I have an earlier version saved and it doesn't have that problem, so I'll just work off of that one instead, and be careful to note changes so I know what to look at if i have the issue again. Thanks a ton for your help :)

• 5 years later...

@ sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE I know this is an old topic, but I'm having an identical problem. I'm trying to follow along with your instructions but the images are no longer working. You wouldn't happen to still have them or reupload the images, could you? This is driving me nuts and I want to figure this out, but your pics won't load lol