Day Dreams of a Spaced out Old Man

Deleted54170User

I'm not thinking about daydreaming today. I hope everyone I have shared these fun times texting are safe out of the floods harmful path.

I have memories of my own while living where I we had two dangerous surprise floods no one was expecting. The rain last night caused my old fear of rain to awaken me. I got such a start last evening when the rain fall got so heavy it could wash a 1 ton vehicle away. The gushes of water could move it an inch at a time down a slight incline.

It rained so heavy here it knocked down trees, scared wildlife that normally only passes through at night. They ran for shelter knocking over outdoor gear as they ran for cover in the old building outback. I know how they felt. I was where the flooding rains surprised us twice and was on the clean up crew after; both times.

I hope the blessings of your skills have given you a place of safety as we work through the changes in our Earth's weather.

• 2 weeks later...

I cooked my breakfast

I got to eat in time for brunch,

I washed the dishes,

just before noon,

Now I am sitting here happy.

At least I was.

Someone started up their lawn mower,

which made me think it was Thursday. :ohmy:

I took my turn every other

Thursday in the month

to mow the lawn;

so Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

we could have fun in the yard. :dance:

Now why that person is mowing

on Monday gives me no insight

because even with the grass trimmed

by the weekend it will look a fright.

I cleared my head of the confusion

I looked around to see,

what Monday had in chore for me.

I looked about

to see what I needed to do.

:armscrossed:

I don't want to leave the grounds

to go looking for friends

If I have a chore

or something needing mends.

So many people

who are down

in the mouth

have forgotten

what order to mow

trim

and clip.

I can hardly bare

what seems like they all care

for their properties looks

when they seem to think

it's Thursday

The persons mowing Monday

while I am still looking to find

a person who can cook.

Or looking for others

that are done with their chore,

and I'm making sure I have got no more.

:whistling:

Then we can play.

:woot:

Run and jump, swim and shout,

Climb a tree, swing on the branch,

swing in a hoola hoop,

run dive on a slip and slide,

Spray the dog

with my thumb on the spout

of the lawn and garden hose;

jump over a log

and try to catch a frog.

I've done more than one

this morning.

I cooked my breakfast

set the table,

and

ate in time for brunch.

Now I may go out to play.

Even though I hear Thursday's

chore a calling,

Confusing my old body

still tuned to the chores

I have a date with.

It's Monday! :sad:

I won't be falling

for that crazy old coot's

misery. With that crazy smile :D

on his face. Whose thinking

is clearly not aware

how fast that grass

will grow back.

:sad:

Until Thursday

I'm not doing

that chore.

And anyone doing it

on Monday :tongue: is missing

a few marbles in their

marble bag for sure.

On Friday my lawn

will be neat,

to Barbeque

and have Party time.

I hope all the bugs

will have moved

outside the neatly

trimmed lawn,

just watching us

and learning to party; I hope

While we are having

a garden party

As we are

and singing along.

Now who didn't pay attention

to the fact it's Monday?

See ya,

at the yard and garden party,

where we can all be hearty

ready for some weekend

Summer time Fun.

As soon as you're done

done doing your chore

for the day

See ya,

I hope when you're done

you have time to come out and play

When there were 7 people

all of us did a different chore a day

in time

with the way weekends

were the constant days off

When we finished our chore

we ran around in the yard

ran through the sprinkle

the sprinkler made

dashed in and out.

Stopped for some lemonade

and stood under the tree,

to cool off in the shade

We rested a moment

while laying on our backs

we spotted clouds

named their shapes

Then got up

and played like we were

all in a parade

marching into the house

for Lunch,

or dinner.

I wonder why I'm

sitting here

writing like I am

when I could have

gone outside

after finish washing

the dishes

I used for my brunch

I have a hunch.

It's because all of you friends

will be too busy

to even stop for a minute

or more.

Stop awhile to say hi

and share a smile.

You'll grumble,

because you've still got work

I don't want to look like a jerk

But it's Monday,

not Thursday

Dads the only one

who has work five days

in a row. So

I'm not even smiling

about what you're doing

I'm just wondering

if you're doing it

so you'll have some

time to play before

you have to go

back and do another chore.

I only have to do one chore a day

Since I cooked my breakfast

laid out dining wares

and ate

any other chore

that may be assigned

will have to wait until

someone takes over

the cooking so I can

do some other chore that day.

I hope I don't end up

too confused,

by these misaligned

chore minded sorts,

by the ones who

seem to be amused

mowing their lawns

any day, except

Thursday.

It's finally quiet.

Now I can

go on the lookout,

to see if any of

my friends are free

out and about.

Ready to Play.

Very well written indeed...and a wonderfully crafted world for your characters to exist in . I agree with IthildinThat the story deserves clothing a wider audience but getting there is no easy task unless someone does know a pulbisher.. and you also have to be aware of those "vanity" type publishers who will charge you for publishing as well...

But if you have more and can bind the stories together to form say a book of short stories best futuristic then nothing is impossible.

Very, very interesting. Well written--good grammar,

• 1 month later...

Being able to play. Video games. They help restore memories from queues we hear and see that remind us of the past. The past when I was 17 I met a girl I thought was really beautiful and only a year younger. She and I were in her families home with all her brothers and sisters. Eight of them. The neighbor fellow was there too; whose Mom I would have been paying Board and Room after I got my first paycheck from the Job I got that day.

I thought what was happening was destiny, the job I landed seemed to spark my confidence too. She and stood at the steps to the basement near the inside of the back door. Every few seconds she would push me away and say, no more you've got to go, pull me back before I turn around. And again, then another reason why we had to stop, she said she was already betrothed to a guy in the Air Force. Now get this, between kisses she said the guy had promised them a new refrigerator that could only be gotten by shipping it in from out of state. Well, she pulled me back in again, and kissed me some more. If only I had known about the curfew before set by the Boarding House Woman next door.

I was shoved out the door into the dark and it was a -10 degrees Fahrenheit freezing cold. I had to go two houses East without a coat. I stepped up to the Boarding House door and it was locked. I pressed the button and the door opened so light came out nearly blinding me. Next thing you know I had my Winter Coat thrust into my face. The door slammed right in my face.

Not even a care for the weather got the other families door to open where the girl I had been kissing lived. I ended up moving to keep warm, stopping to get my strength back, moving again, and stopping again for 4 miles. I barely was alive. Yet somehow that girls kisses made me think I had a reason to live. Had I only known what a video game I was playing had in it's sounds and views before I did, recently. I heard a song along the way too. I would have understood how fakers can make us believe in anything, even a girl of only 16 years of age, with 7 other children in the family was smarter than I was.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295">

That night I learned about a roads end. Where no path is beyond, no sign to get directions, and no people who, like me, that didn't know where I was going that could suggest some advice. Because there wasn't anyone that knew where my next step would take me.

Darkness filled my mind from the night, clouds filled the sky, but I could not see for in the white black evening I could only feel the air chilling me, snow melted outside of my socks freezing water flowing down into my Keds. I traveled fearing every step I took. Any one of which might have been a step into an open manhole. A rise so that I might trip. Or a slow climb to the highest point before it ended at a cliff.

I walked. Quickly at times because I feared I might freeze moving too slow. When ever I came to a heap of deep dark black snow I tested it to find if there might be something I might keep off the wind's gusts and freezing cold breeze. I thought of nothing more then making my way to somewhere safe. I would have gone into a house if I had known of any that were empty. But they did not appear, no lights were on so I could see a glimmer as my eyes were becoming too cold.

Snow blindness. It faded as my eyes own moisture became a problem. I covered my eyes, nose, and mouth to warm them with my bare hands, because I had no gloves.

The unknown showed me no merci for traveling there among those who had lost their way before and had wandered off the beaten paths into the unforgiving storm. I heard the wind moan, groaned myself, and moved quicker to try to keep warm. I decided I could not stand. The wind seemed to push into my face and be telling me to go away.

I took a risk. I turned my back to the wind. I stepped backwards. One step, then two. Sometimes a wind gust pushed hard and I only gained a step to be pushed back many inches. Sliding on the ice made me realize that I would have better luck walking only when the wind died down and I could face the way into that place where innocents knows no friend. I kept moving. Along the way when backward steps I took I found myself entangled in something.

I tried to turn about and use my warm hand to touch what was there. I felt the noise of wood cracking as I twisted. I quickly used my hands and cupped my ears. A bush, maybe? I bent down to pull the frilly strands of my Winter coat free, and huddled to keep my middle warm while I struggled to stay alive.

I felt my mind drift. I felt a voice call. I couldn't see, I could not hear, just a ripple of warmth reached my cold moist socks and ice covered Keds as the cuffs folded up on my blue-jeans covered them for a time.

I began to rise and I fell forward. One hand shot out into the snow to stop my fall. I felt the ice under the snow gave my hand no grip and fell face down into a snow drift. Scared. I struggled.

My mind worked swiftly to find a brace so I could lift myself up. I swam around, rolled to my side, and found a solid object that gave me what I needed. The sound of the wind whipped around it. I wasn't sure I was safe. I only knew something was keeping the wind from me. I realized what I had been tangled in was no more. I stayed on my feet bending my body down. The only sense I had was sound.

Tears formed in my eyes, trickled out, and froze. I cupped my face. I took slow sips of the -10 degree Fahrenheit air. I eased my wind in until I could not take in any more. I exhaled and filled my cupped hands. I warmed my face, then moved my hands to my ears.

Someone called me. David you've got to stop. I warmed my hands in my crotch. The voice called again. David you've got to stop him. I felt no feeling. The air stilled. I opened my eyes.

DAVID you've got to stop him before midnight, or he will destroy us all.

I could see.

I wasn't freezing. The cold was gone and I was standing on a side road. I saw a torch being waved. I heard the woman shout again. Before I could think my feet lifted one and one after the other I strode to her.

As soon as she saw I was in talking distance she spoke again. He's got a weapon, he's sworn an oath. If he doesn't find what he's looking for before this night at midnight he is sworn to destroy us all.

I knew his name. I knew where he would be.

I walked a step, she grabbed my elbow. It's one minute to midnight.

I ran. I ran as fast as I could and would fall if I tried to stop. I saw him. Standing by the fountain in the middle of town. He was raising the weapon up to his face. He had in place. I slammed into him.

We struggled. With 30 seconds left I stood him up. You haven't found what you are looking for?! Are you so dense?

They left you here. You will end your days here and this nights would be the last if you do the task they gave you.

He knew me! He blubbered, but the power I have; showed me not the thing I sought.

I gave him his weapon. I turned to the well. Held up a torch so he could see his reflection. LOOK NOW! SEE YOU THERE! PLACE YOUR WEAPON AND AIM IT. STARE AT THE IMAGE OF YOURSELF. You're the only one on Earth that has what you are looking for. Look at your reflection, then press the trigger if you still don't see what you've been told to find.

For you, it's you that is the one you seek. And you could not find you or the heart you had within to save us all, because they tricked you.

He lowered the weapon. It's me?! They meant me to destroy all, even me, all this time.

DAVID! Come quick!

We both turned and ran to her side.

Look to the stars and you can see the lights. They are at war on Mars. If they win we're all doomed.

I turned to my friend. Is that weapon that is strong enough to wipe out everything on this planets surface strong enough...

He nodded. The creator of it said it would end all living beings on Earth. Nothing else. But the flora and minerals would remain intact. Those... Those...

Anger swelled up in his eyes.

If they are as I, flesh in the flesh too as you. Before I spoke further.

She asked, If they win?! Unless we can get the weapon there. We'll need a ship to get to Mars. And Soon.

I suddenly knew what we had to do.

Gabe! There is one of the horseless chariots in the barn.

They left it here?! Maybe they weren't intending I was to die?

NO! We stole it! LISTEN TO ME! Only you know how it works. Take it, find a way, to turn the weapon against them; especially if they win. Then we on Earth will be safe. Like you wanted.

He started to fumble.

I took his shoulders into my hands and looked him in the eyes. You're not all that innocent Gabe, use what you know and you will make it work and save lives while there. If there is a chance anyone escapes the battle who would side with us bring them back too.

I want to go with you Gabe. I watched as he raced to the horseless carriage.

You can't. You won't survive the journey inside it.

He opened the invisible door I had not found a way to. He turned and waved. I'll be back. I know now!

I watched as it lifted up off the ground. Time slowed as it reached the stars. I watched as the rings of water grew where his horseless carriage seemed to sink into a pond causing rings that a pebble leaves behind.

One night I felt so cold. A shiver ran through me. I got up from bed. My wife stirred.

What's wrong?!

I think Gabe used the weapon.

How?!

I just feel it. We both looked up to the stars. Mars far out of sight. I saw a tiny speck. I saw it like it was signal lamp on the wall where the guard stood. I felt it.

The speck of light moved and as I watched I felt a shift slowing my thought.

It happened so quickly. I felt like I had fallen asleep. When I awakened from the moment I was staring at a something tiny and bright. It was moving straight toward me. The air chilled me so.

I remembered freezing cold and my bodies shivering shuttled out any thought from my mind. I was dreaming. But for how long?

I stared at the tiny speck of light. Almost expecting a vehicle, an ambulance, or just a car passing by a good person to show up and stop there to pull me from the cold.

It was not what I had hoped. It was reflection from a piece of glass. All my hope faded and my dream dashed.

I felt like crying. I started and several tears flowed down my cheek and the streams froze. I raised a hand to find something to help lift me up so I could share my last breath with all the opened heavens to see.

I felt something poke me in the back. The sky was clear. The stars were bright. I turned to see whose finger was poking me. Hoping it was someone I knew close to me.

I turned and saw a car. The hood ornament was the wing footed Mercury. I raced to the door by the drivers side. It was locked. I raced back and forth checking the others. They were locked.

I danced up and down to keep warm. If only I could get inside. Breaking the glass would only serve to end me. So... I turned around looking for something to help me open the 1947 car's fly window. I found what I needed. Untwisted the device. Used it to flip the inside latch. Got into the car.

Searched it.

In the back seat I found a pile of blankets. Without a moment to lose I burrowed under them like mouse.

The Sun rose and beamed in through the cars rear window. I felt it warm up inside and lifted the blankets so I could see. There were words on the back of the bench front seat. I looked at them. They didn't get through my cold eyes to where my mind was yet thawed out. I shrugged and went back to sleep.

I heard someone calling. He's back. He made it. DAVID! GABRIEL IS BACK!

I ran to her side. I felt the warmth from her hug. I felt the tears of joy flowing.

When I opened my eyes I saw people walking down the ramp from the horseless carriage. I cried with my wife as we waited for him to emerge. Then there he was!

I blinked several times. Each time the picture faded. The view changed. There was celebration. Celebrating for days, people came to learn, to know our fate was real. The Earth was safe.

With one of his own people he wed. Gabriel's Mother, and her family; and friends all were there.

I awakened warmer. I lifted the blanket from my head. The sun had risen so the back of car's front bench seat was bright with sunlight. I mumbled. It was a dream.

I got up from under the blanket. Stared around. Warmed myself in the light. The frost on my shoes and socks reminded me of the clothes. They were still wet. I took off the Keds and socks. I wrung the socks all out the best I could. I turned to look out the back window.

The sun coming through was too bright to stare. I got up pulled my blue jeans off the back of the bench seat, pulled them up and tucked in my undershirt and plaid shirt. Pulled my socks off the back of the front bench seat. Dressed the rest of the way.

Guilt entered my mind for breaking into someones car. So I peered sneaking peeks outside the car. Searching for anyone who might be out there in the freezing cold at this the early hour. I slipped out of the back door facing south into the sun.

I walked a few paces until I was on a sidewalk at the back end of the car.

As soon as I felt safe then I looked around. The parking lot belonged to the grocery store where I got the job the day before.

I was there. All night in a strangers car. I turned to look at it. The back window was bright and in the light I saw two names I heard somewhere. And two big words. That made me think.

Why would someone leave their car here? Here in the grocery stores empty parking lot. Especially since it was clear to me they should have taken it where ever they were going. On their honeymoon.

I wonder?

The sleep dream I had seemed to match my curious intrigue I questioning my mind in my post in the thread, The Last Poster Wins.

I heard someone shout in my dream sleep, "You! Shut UP!" Odd, I think. Because for once I didn't wake from the shock.

Maybe it's because the person who was shouting didn't have an emotional output, or an emoticon, which caused any nerves to get get all jingle-jangled?

Or maybe it's possible too, the person in the group was talking to someone other than me?

Then I would have more likely been looking at the person who got told and had to hold my own feelings in as I tried, so very hard, not to :tongue: give them a raspberry.

What really gets me about the dream I had this morning. Really was dreaming while asleep. I didn't recognize one, not one, of the people I saw in the dream. It looked like they were in a control room of some kind with big windows. All of their attention was looking outside those huge windows.

I know I am not dreaming now. I am purty sure I am not pointing a finger at anyone here. In the dream sleep I saw I only had a sense I of familiarity with the group. My view was off to one side at an end of the spaces they all were stationed at. So, I only know for sure they were busy. Who they were?! I haven't a clue.

Maybe my dream sleep mind was playing a clip from an old movie I saw that I haven't recalled the name of yet?

What?! The woman stood still behind the plastic shield.

You're supposed to be studying the medical journals. Do you want me to repeat what I just said?

I looked at her. I'm sorry! Who are you?

I'm the doctor that was working on the disease all of you are infected with. The last note that was supposed to have given all of the staff, including you, the information to follow up on my last experiment explained what I did. It's up to the staff now...

They're all gone. The patient escaped who has the disease. I am only here to await his return.

What patient? What is the patient's name that escaped?

She looked around suspiciously. He was the last man in the lab in confinement before the staff began leaving in search of him.

I'm the doctor who was in charge of the laboratory where you say the patient was. You are infected. All the people, the staff, the doctors are. I was the one person in the room testing the latest possible cure. That would make me Patient Zero.

Then they gave up. Is that what you're saying?

Calm down! The least we can do is be civil and share the time we have. I made some tea. Do you like tea?

Yes!

Great! i'll sit here and share the tea. I opened the thermos and poured myself a cup. Sipped some tea. Saw her watching looking anxiously at me. I took another sip, looking down at the cap from the thermos. Poured some more into the cup. Oh! Do you have a cup? Sorry! I was thinking you might have your own beverage in the booth.

I don't have any left. Just ran out a after Bob left.

Here take the thermos. My lips haven't touched it so it's clean. I sat the thermos down by her window at the pass door through the glass and stepped back. She hesitated. I stepped further back. Sipped some more out of my thermos mug. Sat down in the hall on the bench.

She opened the window and took the thermos. She sniffed at the top. It's green tea, with lemon.

It's all that was left in the lounge. I added a little lemon to it.

She brought up her cup and poured some of the hot tea with lemon from the thermos.

Where you from?

Tennessee!

What part?

Millington. She put the thermos down.

I signed I wanted some more tea from it. She pushed it through the window. I waited until she closed the delivery window. As I stood she lifted the cup and took a sniff. I leaned forward and picked up the thermos. She took a sip. Made a face. Didn't I put enough water in it?

She smiled. Yeah! It's a little strong for my taste, but it's good.

I sat down and looked down as I lifted the thermos. I poured a sip into the cup. Hey! Would you like to go the restaurant in town? I can cook up a fine meal!

She sipped some more tea. I don't see why not.

Yeah! Might as well make the best of it. I took another sip. Put the cap and cup back on the thermos. Raised up from the bench. Meet me outside the locker rooms. I'll put on my street clothes. We can go out and dine in style.

She sipped her tea. Looked me in the eyes. I gave her my boyish innocent charm look. She nodded, an affirmative. The buzzer on the door sounded. I looked at her. See you in a couple of minutes! Smiled and walked over and took the lever in hand. Pressed the door open. Stepped through. Turned. Hey! What are you waiting for?

She got up and headed to the outer security door to get out into the hall. I was almost to the door when the latch popped. She stepped out. Smiled and then fainted.

I caught her in my arms. Lifted her up and carried her to the locker room door. Laid her down on the bench. Ran back to the security door. I stuck my foot into the shoe I left there to prop it open with. Went to the panel and opened the lab. I jammed the door jam down and went back to the lab. Got the thermos I left there and went back to the gal. Stripped her down and took her uniform and put it on.

I pulled the lanyard from around her neck and raised it up over her hair. It snagged the hair. I tugged at it. A wig. I shouldn't have any trouble getting by anyone left behind now. After pinning it on me I thought to smear some of her lipstick off with a piece of tissue. Might as well look the part.

I looked in the security room for any other badges that would give me access to the gate switches. Found a keycard on the peg board. All set!

I walked along the hall to the elevator. I felt like running. I didn't want to chance it though. Used her ID card and the doors hissed as they slid open. The monitor voice spoke. Have a nice day Gabriella. I looked at the monitor inside the elevator. I saw my reflection. We could have been twins.

The elevator rose. I felt that jiggle when it stopped. The doors opened. I looked out into the parking lot. No one made it out.

They lay where the microscopic beast killed them. The sun had not had time to start burning exposed skin. I jammed the elevator door. I saw there was no reason to run. Nowhere to escape to. The cure worked on me. If only they had waited another fifteen minutes.

I went and found the best classic machine some poor young guy had. A real nice roadster. Two seater, hard top convertible. One of the last of their kind before the electric cars became king. I pushed the fob button. He even had the sound of the hot V-8 engine added to the Apps so it roared to life. Fully charged battery.

Driving up to the gate I pressed the gate release button. Got out of the car. Inside the booth a yellow light was flashing above a button. I pressed it. Alright. Ready and willing. Hm?

I put the gate guard in line with the rolling gate.

I couldn't see leaving just yet.

I got some men's clothing out of the locker room. Found some stylish stuff too for the occasion. Dressed up for dinner. As the car began to roll Gabriella awakened.

What happened?

All the stress left you and in all the excitement you fainted. I decided not to tell her until later that I gave her some of the cure that was in my other thermos. Decided not to mention the thermos that had the knockout drops in the tea. And waited for two hours while the serum went to work. Unlike me she was unconscious for the better part of the serum's work. I wouldn't tell about that part. I decided to save the fact I gave her the serum at least until after dinner. By the way, your name tag has a G. for your first name.

It's Gabriella.

Gabriella! Lovely name. You look gorgeous!