The last movie you watched thread

HellsMaster

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching The Island of Doctor Moreau my Halloween memories led me back along the passages of time into the white mouse's hosted living spaces under someone's laboratory where even some other animals escaped to too to found their own colony with their own human traits and sentient worth; where they know humans of some tempers oh so well... only too well... The Secret of NIMH

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Dune looks great visually, the cameraman work deserves the highest mark, but at the same time the plot is weak, in the second half it becomes simply boring and predictable. The actors play well, but many of them just don't have enough time to reveal their character.
Edited by WButler89

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I watched two.

Chef

Starring:
Jon Favreau
Sofia Vergara
Dustin Hoffman
A man (Chef) had some trouble at work. Thanks to a food critic. Had to leave. He tried to be there for his son. Takes him on a trip. They run a food truck restaurant. Really a fun movie. Man they cook so much delicious meals in that film, I´m getting hungry, if I see that.
Be Kind Rewind
Starring:
Mos Def
Jack Black
Danny Glover
Be Kind Rewind yes I love that one. A video store with VHS tapes, all erased by a accident. The Staff team clueless not knowing what to do, has a idea. They record official movies, with unknown "actors", in their spare time. And offer the films for rent. The business grows. I love it, cause of the imagination and the fact, that so much people come together and work on film projects as a group. Having a good time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Top Gun Maverick was good. It's worth a cinema visit.

Other recent movies I enjoyed include:

The Void (2016) - The Thing meets Hellraiser, sort of. It's not perfect, but it's one of the better horror movies I've seen in a while.

Coherence - This one is shot in a jarring way with a handheld cam, so that's off-putting at first, but if you stick with it, you've got a nice light sci-fi mystery. These friends are having dinner and there's a comet flying over. Their phones all break at the same time, and then things get weird. Every house loses power except one down the road. Check it out.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes - Found footage serial killer movie done in a true crime documentary style.

The Greasy Strangler - it'll likely be the most memorable movie you see all year in whatever year you watch it. Don't look anything up about it. It's a dark comedy horror "mystery." A father and son run a small business and they get into a bizarre love triangle with a girl. None of them are what most people would call attractive. Meanwhile, there's a serial killer called The Greasy Strangler running amok. Who could it be? Don't watch this one with Grandma. Do watch it with a friend/friends who you like to make uncomfortable. I loved watching a former roommate squirm when I showed it with him, after I had the same first viewing experience from another roommate.

The Last Exorcism - It's a toss up between this and The Conjuring on my favorite of this "supernatural possession/haunting" subgenre of horror movies. The Conjuring is done as a traditional narrative movie. This one is done in documentary style. A shyster southern exorcist preacher man who performs fake exorcisms on people who aren't really possessed encounters the real case and things get f'n real. The tension build in this one is fantastic. It's an underappreciated movie that I think a lot just haven't seen. [it's got nothing to do with The Exorcist.]

The Road - Both an excellent book by Cormac McCarthy and movie. If you're into the Fallout games, then you'll probably like this movie. It also reminds me of A Quiet Place and The Last of Us (the game). A father and son are trying to survive in a dystopian/post broken world. I figure most people who like the Fallout games have probably already seen it, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

That's enough for now. I'll list a few I recently watched that I didn't much care for later.