Companion Follow Distance Far Too High

RandomAlex

I have started having an issue in new vegas where my companions follow distance is ridiculously large. I have removed all companion mods and rehired all companions to see if this fixes the issue (it doesnt).

Companions seem to have their follow distance set to a ridiculously high number seemingly at least double what the default follow distance is. I've searched the internet to no avail, has anyone had this issue before?

How would i go about fixing this it's a really weird bug.

(P.S. Yes i have tried the stay close keep distance command on the companion wheel, keep close is further than default keep distance and keep distance causes companions to be so far they end up teleporting to me more than walking to me)

• 6 years later...

FNV COMPANION FOLLOW DISTANCE - EASY FIX with FNVedit:

I realize this is an old thread, but I write this reply anyway, for those that might google the issue and -like me- didn't find anything else in a hurry. But I am impatient, I don't have a clue how to use the GECK, and didn't wanna post and wait for a reply like RandomAlex here. So I tried & errored a bit with FNVedit, and there's an easy, GECK-less fix:

Open your NPC in FNVedit, scroll down a bit and you should find a bunch of packages listed. In the vanilla game, there's 2 packages for each companion that govern the follow distance; those have a name that goes something like this:

Follower[Name of Companion]FollowPlayerDEFAULT and Follower[Name of Companion]FollowPlayerLONG. Mod NPCs' packages might have different names though.

Anyway, if you wanna edit, for example, Cass' follow distance, the packages you are looking for are called FollowerCassFollowPlayerDEFAULT (ID: 0013408f) and FollowerCassFollowPlayerDEFAULT (ID: 0013408e). Copy those as overrides into your edit patch/merge patch; then go find the Count/Distance entry in those packages and edit to your liking.