A Few Assorted GECK Questions

djmystro

For one thing, never make a name that starts with a number. This works in some places but not in all places.

For speech checks, find one in the base game and copy it. You have to set several things in several places. It may be worthwhile to review the geck.bethsoft.com tutorial on dialog, or any of the user ones like this long one. I seem to recall some small changes in this area between FO3 and FNV, so using an existing example from the base game may be safer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

davidlallen :

Cheers for your advice. I have been renaming most stuff as 'aa' rather than '00' but it never seemed to be an issue with npcs before.

I had a look for similar relevant speech checks - I looked for Trudy and Easy Pete's dialogue but I couldn't find them. Eventually I think I found one, No-Bark if I remember right, who had a strength check dialogue option but I could only see 1 thing different (The AV/Perk box which I hadn't noticed at the time).

I'm not sure whether or not it is working already at the moment coz I have always had above the needed skills for the easy speech checks (so they display as normal). I will check again at a lower level and see if they are working correctly.

The only reason I have not checked already is coz of the second problem where the hard options won't display under any circumstances.

Try this

There is an NPC in underground residential so you can see the speech options in game. He has his own quest (aaQsQuest) so you don't have to sort through anything.

I left some notes in the script on mcmillan's quest script to hopefully help you with the beckett thing.

Let me know if any of it is unclear.

Edited by Quetzlsacatanango

Quetzlsacatanango:

Thanks for the upload -I'm just going through it now.

Problem 3 solved right away - put in the negative option - I don't know why that never occurred to me at the time (I guess I was too busy looking for a quick fix).

Problem 1 solved too - I can see how the references work, thanks for clearing that up. Turns out I'd done it before by accident and forgot all about it.

I'll get back to you on Problem 2 once I am done fixing the others. It is not as critical as there are other ways around it.

Thanks again for the help, credits as usual :)

Just an update to say it's all working fine now. Frankie's and McMillan's scripts are now covered by three different chunks of script to cover all the variables and make sure they update properly. Frankie's script was a bit mad, I have most of the objectives updating from a script rather than in the Quest Stage options so the script is huge but it looks solid and I'm sure it will play fine.

There were a lot of discrepancies between between my speech challenge options and your own. It took me a while to spot them all. Running the speech check conditions on 'Target' was the last piece of the puzzle.

Everything displays fine now, including the negative speech checks.

Thanks again for your help.

One other thing I almost forgot about.

I have some occasional in-faction squabbling going on within the Underground. This usually occurs when I bring ghouls into the equation. I have run into a similar problem with turrets who needed a faction override to not shoot up friendly Super Mutants and Eddie the Reaver. For some reason bunging them all in the same faction does not seem to do the trick.

Now whenever I bring hostile ghouls into Dead Mans Pass it seems to trigger a fight which ends in either Super Mutant Didesiderio or Seageant McMillan being gunned down by the other Troopers. I'm guessing because the Super Mutants are by default friendly to ghouls that this could trigger Didesiderio to appear on the same side when the come pouring in. This does not explain why they would all gang up on McMillan though, I'm clueless on that one, unless they all decided to side with the ghouls, but in both instances no-one shows up as hostile to the player.

My first version of Roach was based off a Crazed Ghoul and no matter what settings I changed (faction, AI, Aggression etc...) he seemed hard-wired to be an enemy to the rest of the Underground (or to be more specific - The Underground did not like him..., he just tried to run away).

Is there a simple way to fix this and clear all the potentially hostile flags within the Underground community without making them by default friendly to entire other factions such as Ferals, or Super Mutants (which is the only way I found to fix the turrets) ?

I have got another one. I'm trying to organize a new quest where you can hire up to 8 team members to help clear out a couple of areas. They are not normal companions, they can die and all the orders are given through standard dialogue boxes. I got 90% of this working and I can iron out the rest of the bugs all but one which I am unsure about.

The new team mates do not seem to want to enter or exit any doors. Occasionally they do but this seems kind of random. I have had to use prid to get them into the correct cells and that is not a good enough method for others to have to use too.

I have used duplicates of the DefaultFollowPlayer packages with NPC specific conditions. In the package options I can see references to locked doors but not to standard ones. Have I missed something?

I noticed when in the same cell or after using coc I could use prid on the NPCs. If I tried to go through a door and use prid it would not work as though the NPCs had disappeared from the game whilse trying to get from one cell to another.

I am thinking about a solution involving teleporting the NPCs to the player in case they get seperated but I'm not sure what type of script to use. I am guessing one with a 'moveto player' command but not that one beacuse then they would all end up right on top of you in the same spot. Any ideas there?

On the plus side once this is working it looks like it will be a real buzz to play. Even wiith 8 team mates (including a Deathclaw Alpha) you can expect to die a lot and unless you want a massacre you will have to place your troops very tactically (and optionally arm them better). I'm suprised that a little thing like lack of recognising a door is what is stopping it happening at the moment but there's always something new to learn with the GECK.