Modify Shops and Merchants

Kindo

Alright, just tested both. When I modified def_loot_shops I just changed how much of one item a shopkeep had with no problem, but where I started to have problems is when I tried to do it to more then 4 different items or when doubling the amount of just one item, so my conclusion is that it can be modded just very lightly. Now as for def_loot_containers, reimported the original just fine, however, I had the same thing happen to me, no items in any containers. This is what happens when I try to modify any weapon files, so conclusion for that one is that it can not be modified at all. Sorry I couldn't halp you with your mod. Hopefully the dev will put out a official mod tool soon.

Thanks for the time you put into this. :)

Yes, I think it's safe to assume that modding as it is now works, but very limited. Replacing a single digit with another single digit (or a double with double etc.) is all that works for most xml-editing. Anything else, even if you later compensate with lines and length to match the original, will not work in-game. Very sad, but as you wrote: hopefully, the tool kit will be released in the near future.

I wanted some changes done before my third playthrough, but I guess it will have to wait. Maybe I'll replay TW1 and TW2 in the meanwhile. ;)

No prob. You can always try using the HellGhost method if you really wanted to get your mod working, but like I said it's not the best way to mod due to moving files back and forth, but at least you don't have to worry about the file size.